Jump to content
Chisoxfn

2021 NFL Season Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know Buffalo had to stop him and couldn’t, but man, that game ending because of a coin toss? Sucks.

Exact same thing happened to Mahomes three years ago...with the state of offenses today, they might want to reconfigure the overtime rules to make them more like NCAA style.

Or just play the full period out.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbelievable weekend - but man - why were the Bills not putting pressure at end of regulation. Either way incredible. Feel terrible for Bills for losing. Oh and I will continue to say - give me some Dabol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope NFL changes the OT rule. Josh Allen not getting the ball back to try and match that is anti climatic to me.

Edited by SoxAce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to say what is the best...the first four days of an NCAA basketball tournament with tons of upsets or this.

Would have been all four visiting teams each winning by three points...had the last 13 seconds gone the way they do 99.8% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I love about Allen is for a few years around 2018 it seemed like the NFL was starting to be predictable and make sense…then he drops in as a pretty universally hated prospect by draft writers, on a team the league was ignoring even as they just kept acquiring solid talent, and hiring a D coach instead of O, and they became one of the most fun teams in the league led by their MVP level QB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hard to say what is the best...the first four days of an NCAA basketball tournament with tons of upsets or this.

Would have been all four visiting teams each winning by three points...had the last 13 seconds gone the way they do 99.8% of the time.

No opening weekend of the NCAA tournament can match this. Nothing can match this. Only thing that could come close is the old college bowl system where every once in a while you had 3 games that could determine the national champion(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Buffalo would have squib kicked the kickoff would they mathematically won the game? Not nuff time even for Mahomes? Just wondering. ... p.s. The OT rule is ridiculous obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, greg775 said:

If Buffalo would have squib kicked the kickoff would they mathematically won the game? Not nuff time even for Mahomes? Just wondering. ... p.s. The OT rule is ridiculous obviously.

A properly executed squib kick gets down to 10-15 yard line. Either the receiving team downs it immediately and has 10+ more yards to get in their 13 seconds, or they spend 5 seconds getting 15-20 yards and then there's only time for 1 play before you have to try a FG or Hail Mary, so yes, in this specific situation, squib kick was clearly the better choice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I can’t believe what I just watched.  Just incredible.  
 

Might see a rule change due to how awesome that was.   Insane. 

How about this for a rule change:

Team A gets the overtime kickoff and scored a touchdown in 7 plays.

Team B gets on possession from their own 25 and if they score a touchdown in fewer than 7 plays they win, in exactly 7 plays the game continues, otherwise they lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bears will surely hire Frazier now :)

Please let this game be the end of that nonsense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

How about this for a rule change:

Team A gets the overtime kickoff and scored a touchdown in 7 plays.

Team B gets on possession from their own 25 and if they score a touchdown in fewer than 7 plays they win, in exactly 7 plays the game continues, otherwise they lose.

Sounds like "Name that Tune"...then you will really have a battle of prevent defenses.  Feels a bit too gimmicky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

How about this for a rule change:

Team A gets the overtime kickoff and scored a touchdown in 7 plays.

Team B gets on possession from their own 25 and if they score a touchdown in fewer than 7 plays they win, in exactly 7 plays the game continues, otherwise they lose.

Bah no weird counting plays. A passing team always wins against Tennessee in that case while Derrick Henry gets 9 yards a carry.

In the playoffs, one team scores, they kick to the other and that team has a chance to match. If they do, reverse the order of teams and go again. First team to outdo the other wins. Throw in the college like 2 point conversion rule.

I mean, no one wanted that game to continue right? CBS had to get on to NCIS Kamchatka or whatever. The NFL didn’t want any more money for me watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Bah no weird counting plays. A passing team always wins against Tennessee in that case while Derrick Henry gets 9 yards a carry.

In the playoffs, one team scores, they kick to the other and that team has a chance to match. If they do, reverse the order of teams and go again. First team to outdo the other wins. Throw in the college like 2 point conversion rule.

I mean, no one wanted that game to continue right? CBS had to get on to NCIS Kamchatka or whatever. The NFL didn’t want any more money for me watching.

You nailed the root of it.  It's a made-for-TV rule that puts championships (and $100's of millions) at the mercy of a coin toss.  Might be OK for the regular season but too arbitrary for the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically it would be like if the Field of Dreams game ended with Tim Anderson instead tying the game, then the White Sox being allowed to bat again the top of the next inning (Yankees with no chance to even bat again) and if they score again it’s still a walk off and the game is deemed over.

 

Forgot the same thing happened when the Pats came back against the Falcons and went into OT...two years in a row for Brady with good fortune on his side.  Not that he needed much.

 

“When it’s grim, be the Grim Reaper,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said he told his quarterback as the fourth quarter waned. “ 'And go get it.’

“He did that. He made everyone around better, which he’s great at.”

kcstar.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't understand why Buffalo didnt squib it after scoring with 13 seconds. It gave Mahomes an extra play. And I don't know how the Bears hire the DC whose defense blew the game with 13 seconds left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bills' defensive numbers hugely assisted by having two rookie QB's and Tua in the same division.

Tredavious White being out wasn't any worse than the loss of Mathieu to the Chiefs.

You just can't give up 30 yards to Kelce in that situation.  If Mahomes had just one play even from the 30-35 yard line it would have been so much tougher to execute in that situation.

Still don't understand why they didn't try to get more pressure...by dropping 7, because if you flush him out of the pocket the play length would have likely forced a throw into the end zone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh boy

Listen, I know this will seem like wishful thinking, but Breer has been all over the place on the bears for a week. 
 

Everyday there is a new freak out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whyyyyyyyyyy are the bears narrowing down HC candidates before signing a GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Bah no weird counting plays. A passing team always wins against Tennessee in that case while Derrick Henry gets 9 yards a carry.

In the playoffs, one team scores, they kick to the other and that team has a chance to match. If they do, reverse the order of teams and go again. First team to outdo the other wins. Throw in the college like 2 point conversion rule.

I mean, no one wanted that game to continue right? CBS had to get on to NCIS Kamchatka or whatever. The NFL didn’t want any more money for me watching.

OK, I agree, unfair to running-centric teams. How about this:

Team that gets the ball first in OT starts with the ball at their own 25. If they score a TD, they MUST kick the PAT for 1 point. Going for 2 not allowed. Team that gets the ball second in OT starts with the ball at their own 25. If they score a TD, they MUST go for 2 points. Kicking for 1 point not allowed. If you're tied because neither team scored, both got FG, or both got TD but missed their respective extra points, then in regular season games it ends in a tie and in playoff games you repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

OK, I agree, unfair to running-centric teams. How about this:

Team that gets the ball first in OT starts with the ball at their own 25. If they score a TD, they MUST kick the PAT for 1 point. Going for 2 not allowed. Team that gets the ball second in OT starts with the ball at their own 25. If they score a TD, they MUST go for 2 points. Kicking for 1 point not allowed. If you're tied because neither team scored, both got FG, or both got TD but missed their respective extra points, then in regular season games it ends in a tie and in playoff games you repeat.

Bah, let teams go for 2 on the first TD if they want, better drama. KC scores a TD, Bills match with a TD - Bills want to go for 2 to win/lose the game on one play? Go ahead. Helluva TV moment. 

If you get through what, 2 cycles of teams trading the ball, then no PATs, required to go for 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Bah, let teams go for 2 on the first TD if they want, better drama. KC scores a TD, Bills match with a TD - Bills want to go for 2 to win/lose the game on one play? Go ahead. Helluva TV moment. 

You need some way to reduce the probability that teams play 20+ minutes of overtime and put themselves at a disadvantage the following week. You still get your TV moment, as the Bills will HAVE to go for 2 to win the game. Also brings strategy into play as if you win the coin toss, do you want the ball first where you get the (almost) guaranteed 7th point or do you want the ball second where you have a roughly 50/50 shot at winning.

Plus, most OT games aren't going to have both teams scoring TDs on the first possession anyway, so it wouldn't come into play that often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

You need some way to reduce the probability that teams play 20+ minutes of overtime and put themselves at a disadvantage the following week. You still get your TV moment, as the Bills will HAVE to go for 2 to win the game. Also brings strategy into play as if you win the coin toss, do you want the ball first where you get the (almost) guaranteed 7th point or do you want the ball second where you have a roughly 50/50 shot at winning.

Plus, most OT games aren't going to have both teams scoring TDs on the first possession anyway, so it wouldn't come into play that often.

That's where you remove PATs after a couple of possessions. If both teams have matched each other once or twice, now they're required to go for 2, and both teams won't succeed on that every single time. That wouldn't be any longer than a normal quarter.

And you always take the ball 2nd if you win that coin toss, because you know what you need to do to match/win the game in that case. If KC scored 7, Buffalo matches, they get to decide if they want to go for 2 to win it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×