Jump to content
Chisoxfn

2021 NFL Season Thread

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I wish I understood better how coordinators work with the head coach. I'm my mind the head coach should hire great coordinators and kind of get out of the way. So here I'm more concerned with who the HC brings in as the OC than what they are bringing in themselves. 

Am I way off in that?

Depends on the situation. The OC under Matt Nagy didn't have as an important role as other OC's has Nagy called all the plays on offense (until he fired himself from that role, twice, because he sucked)

So it kind of depends on who the HC is and how involved he is. But....you're right that good coordinators (and just a good staff) is very important in the big picture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I wish I understood better how coordinators work with the head coach. I'm my mind the head coach should hire great coordinators and kind of get out of the way. So here I'm more concerned with who the HC brings in as the OC than what they are bringing in themselves. 

Am I way off in that?

In many ways I think of it similar to you - it is why I think someone like Harbaugh (ST coach) has done so good with the Ravens. He was used to having to really work with the various functions to pull that collective unit together and with that in mind maybe better positioned for that. They do need to think strategy and vision - ensure they have an offense that fits the personell and style more collectively with the team (and vice versa with the defense). But than obviously rely on the experts below but be able to in my opinion provide the healthy check with those leaders - give them the space but at same time be there to help them where they have issues, where you need to tackle bigger items - create that safe space for real challenge that should get the best out of the collective.  

It is why I think coaches can improve in a 2nd go round because I think they learn this. I also get the impression that this might be where Leftwich and Daboll didn't impress. From reports it sounds like Leftwich was fairly impressive in his interview - but lacked the vision around coaching staff...not something to overcome cause that is why you have others with connections + agents that can help, but certainly a small red flat (at a minimum).  

With Daboll - it just sounds like he was flat in his interview (if I believe the reports). Maybe he hasn't had enough time to think of that broader vision and is too focused on here is how I will run the offense (which is important for someone you are hiring for that expertise and vision - but you can only do so much in those situations as well - although part of that depends on what sort of HC they are going to be - McVay still has a tight grip on that offense, especially early in his time as does Andy Reid - but they learn what they need to keep ownership on and what they empower others for, etc and if they are taking on a bigger grip in those areas - than you need to really lean on others to fill the gap in other spots. 

I do wonder with Daboll how much his lack of preperation had to do with multiple interviews and fact that you have a playoff game the next day (vs. some of the other candidates who were more impressive). Quinn had the same challenges as did others (around preperation) but they also have done this rodeo a heck of a lot more so there ability to show up and shine is less surprising than a candidate who is more green in the interview process (doesn't necessarily mean they won't succeed/excel at the job).  We have all interviewed people that are great sales people but have no substance underneath (i.e., Nagy) and there are the alternatives - but as a HC you do need to be able to articulate that vision and show an ability to lead the bigger pitcher and empower others - if you can't do that you will absolutely fail (and in those cases - that is why sometimes your ceiling really is being a great OC).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly these 3 candidates were Poles finalist. So highly likely one of these 3 is the head coach.  I also got the impression from reports that Poles was allowed to talk to various candidates (other candidates might have as well) - so he had a pretty good idea getting into this point of who he wanted (which was these 3 - but he has full atanomy to expand the list if interested).

It did sound like Daboll's interview did not go well. Got the impression from some of the rumors that he came off too much as an OC and not someone who had / could really articulate the bigger picture around being a head coach. Could be because he was burried gameplanning for a playoff game, could be that this whole experience (interviewing for HC) is still pretty new to him relative to vast majority of candidates the Bears met with (many of whom had material #'s of interviews in previous cycles and/or are previous head coaches).  

Leftwich was one name who might make his way back - sounded like he was pretty impressive but there was a lot of uncertainty surrounding the staff that left him (at least initially) on the outside of the finalist pool.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Supposedly these 3 candidates were Poles finalist. So highly likely one of these 3 is the head coach.  I also got the impression from reports that Poles was allowed to talk to various candidates (other candidates might have as well) - so he had a pretty good idea getting into this point of who he wanted (which was these 3 - but he has full atanomy to expand the list if interested).

It did sound like Daboll's interview did not go well. Got the impression from some of the rumors that he came off too much as an OC and not someone who had / could really articulate the bigger picture around being a head coach. Could be because he was burried gameplanning for a playoff game, could be that this whole experience (interviewing for HC) is still pretty new to him relative to vast majority of candidates the Bears met with (many of whom had material #'s of interviews in previous cycles and/or are previous head coaches).  

Leftwich was one name who might make his way back - sounded like he was pretty impressive but there was a lot of uncertainty surrounding the staff that left him (at least initially) on the outside of the finalist pool.  

I think Leftwich will be a great head coach but I think the staff concerns are super real, especially with 9 head coaches being hired and having such limited contacts, he is going to have a really tough time. He may be better off becoming Arians heir apparent and getting that Dennis Allen like boost. But you never know if you'll get another shot so I'm sure he'l probably jump to JAX or here if asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These jordan schultz report tweets seem like such B.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bmags said:

These jordan schultz report tweets seem like such B.S.

What are they? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great point about being experienced in being interviewed. Hopefully someone in the organization can adjust for that. It is a different skill set than actually being a head coach. Having someone on the hiring side with experience could help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

What are they? 

Obviously it's not like any of this is unreasonable, but it's also like it's written by a bot. Anyway it's been getting shared a lot because he's the only person acting like there is stuff to say and it was annoying to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poles coming from the Chiefs org and seeing how that team fell apart in the super bowl without their 2 tackles and seeing what they did in the draft and free agency gives me great hope that they really end up addressing the line and finally get that right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either tomorrow they hire one of the 3 or we see another candidate come in. Will be interesting.  Three days ago everyone assumed Daboll would be hired by Giants - he still hasn't been and now some reports that he has emerged as front runner in Miami.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, scs787 said:

Poles coming from the Chiefs org and seeing how that team fell apart in the super bowl without their 2 tackles and seeing what they did in the draft and free agency gives me great hope that they really end up addressing the line and finally get that right. 

Maybe he'll bring  back Kyle Long. I did eead he is really good identifying o line and d line.  Pace wasn't bad at d line, but his o line calls were not so good. 

It would be awesome if he turns out as great as many in the know think he can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can tell Poles is actually running this process now because nobody knows what is going on.

Personally While timing is now longer optimal I’d really like Demeco Ryans to enter the convo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that Poles is running the show now and he’s not being forced a head coach on him. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hackett to DEN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denver starting up the full court press to try and swing a Rodgers trade, I see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Denver starting up the full court press to try and swing a Rodgers trade, I see

Isn't he a free agent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw a RT I know can’t find that the holdup with Leftwich in Jax is he wants Baalke out and Adrian Wilson in. That’s hilarious to me, how are those convos happening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just saw a RT I know can’t find that the holdup with Leftwich in Jax is he wants Baalke out and Adrian Wilson in. That’s hilarious to me, how are those convos happening?

Baalke was part of the reason Harbaugh and SF fell apart, right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Maybe he'll bring  back Kyle Long. I did eead he is really good identifying o line and d line.  Pace wasn't bad at d line, but his o line calls were not so good. 

It would be awesome if he turns out as great as many in the know think he can be.

I highly doubt it happens but after trading a first round pick for him, Orlando Brown Jr. is a free agent and the Chiefs are gonna have cap issues. He's gotta be the top target if they can't resign him. Let Jenkins and Borum battle for RT. Center needs to be upgraded too. 

 

Eric Fisher will be a free agent as well and I could see him being a lower cost potentially high reward signing a year after his injury. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Baalke was part of the reason Harbaugh and SF fell apart, right

Yeah. Im totally with Leftwich here, why would you sign on long term with the guy who blamed everything on Harbaugh and then signed Jim Tomasulo and Chip Kellys 1 year tenures, 

but it’s amazing to me he is doing this as a relatively new HC candidate. 
 

(it makes me like him more tbh)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Ben R officially retired. Sean Payton going to TV. Tom Brady up in the air. Who knows if that will lead to Arians to retire again.

Quite a passing of the baton moment. With McVay vs. Shanahan, the Allen vs. Mahomes matches, and Burrow-Chase it seems like it won't skip a beat (vs if this happened all at once with them all joining Manning out the door)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×