In Defense of Leury

XplodingScorbord

56 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

He’s playing an excellent shortstop in TA’s absence, and can be plugged in anywhere. Yes, I think TLR has penciled him in a bit more than perhaps necessary this year, but man, a guy like Leury is super valuable. 

When he’s not overused he is really valuable.  Emphasis on not overused. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, XplodingScorbord said:

He’s playing an excellent shortstop in TA’s absence, and can be plugged in anywhere. Yes, I think TLR has penciled him in a bit more than perhaps necessary this year, but man, a guy like Leury is super valuable. 

This - so many people complain but the dude is such an asset off the bench. Just so versatile and he is solid - despite what most on here think. And I can’t blame him for getting too much play due to injuries and other factors. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

Nine seasons of Leury is pretty good value for Alex Rios.

Yeah it is.  As I was watching the game yesterday, I just wondered if the Sox will bring back Leury next season.  I doubt it but it is not out of the question.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

Yeah it is.  As I was watching the game yesterday, I just wondered if the Sox will bring back Leury next season.  I doubt it but it is not out of the question.

It really depends on whether another team wants to give him a shot as a starter. If not, then I don't see why he wouldn't want to be back with the Sox.

11 hours ago, XplodingScorbord said:

I don’t think it has been unnecessary.  Injuries have forced TLR’s hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - so many people complain but the dude is such an asset off the bench. Just so versatile and he is solid - despite what most on here think. And I can’t blame him for getting too much play due to injuries and other factors. 

This.

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

It really depends on whether another team wants to give him a shot as a starter. If not, then I don't see why he wouldn't want to be back with the Sox.

I just wonder if the Sox will want to go less expensive (maybe one of the reasons we see Romy up in September) with the utility role.  Let's get Leury a Ring this season just in case he is not back. :cool:

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

I just wonder if the Sox will want to go less expensive (maybe one of the reasons we see Romy up in September) with the utility role.  Let's get Leury a Ring this season just in case he is not back. :cool:

If no team is going to make Leury an offer to be a starter, then he won't be that expensive. Nobody is going to offer Leury $5M to be a utility guy. If the Sox think Romy has a chance to be an everyday starter, they need to have him playing every day in AAA rather than being a bench guy with the Sox.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If no team is going to make Leury an offer to be a starter, then he won't be that expensive. Nobody is going to offer Leury $5M to be a utility guy. If the Sox think Romy has a chance to be an everyday starter, they need to have him playing every day in AAA rather than being a bench guy with the Sox.

All fair points....of course we do not know if the Sox see Romy as an everyday starter or as a possible replacement for Leury.  Interesting choices in the offseason.  All might depend how the postseason goes as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

All fair points....of course we do not know if the Sox see Romy as an everyday starter or as a possible replacement for Leury.  Interesting choices in the offseason.  All might depend how the postseason goes as well.

Bah, you gotta have at least 2 backup infielders available, even more helpful if one has minor league options, and we aren’t sure who will be starting at 2b yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, wegner said:

I wouldn't doubt it.  There was that story for a few years ago when Sox were going to non-tender Leury and he legitimately begged Hahn/FO to give him another chance.  He wants to be in Chicago, and now that they're actually good, I am sure he loves being a part of it.  

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he's brought back.  In fact, I expect it.  Like I mention 2/$5-7M should get it done, and is a perfectly reasonable allocation of resources.  

I think the bigger question is becoming if Cesar's $6M is as big of a no brainer as it appeared a few weeks ago.  Obviously could do much worse as your 9 hitter, but I hope Sox pick up the option and monitor that middle IF market.  Lots of spendy options in C Seager, Story, Correa, Baez, Semien.  Doubt any of those would be fits though with where the Sox payroll is going, and really need a LHB at 2B with this lineup.  So its going to be Cesar in all likelihood - talked myself out of it.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't doubt it.  There was that story for a few years ago when Sox were going to non-tender Leury and get legitimately begged Hahn to give him a chance.  He wants to be in Chicago, and now that they're actually good, I am sure he loves being a part of it.  

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he's brought back.  In fact, I expect it.  Like I mention 2/$5-7M should get it done, and is a perfectly reasonable allocation of resources.  

I think the bigger question is becoming if Cesar's $6M is as big of a no brainer as it appeared a few weeks ago.  Obviously could do much worse as your 9 hitter, but I hope Sox pick up the option and monitor that middle IF market.  Lots of spendy options in C Seager, Story, Correa, Baez, Semien.  Doubt any of those would be fits though with where the Sox payroll is going, and really need a LHB at 2B with this lineup.  So its going to be Cesar in all likelihood - talked myself out of it.  

If Cesars next month+ is as bad as his August then yeah I can’t see how you pick that option up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If Cesars next month+ is as bad as his August then yeah I can’t see how you pick that option up. 

I am with you.  I'd love to do better.  But like....who?  

The guys I listed are going to be outside of the Sox budget.  Maybe Semien is still floating around in Jan/Feb and we can get him for like 2/$25M and then ship Cesar off somewhere else at that point?  

Otherwise you're looking at guys like Eduardo Escobar, Jurickson Profar, Miguel Rojas, etc.  I'd probably prefer Escobar to Cesar like I did in July (putting aside bad wheel) but its close. The others are worse than Cesar. I guess Chris Taylor could be an interesting fit and nice middle ground.  He's older and that should keep his price tag down a bit.  

• Like 1

It was annoying earlier in the season to see him playing every game, and for a while it was like he was up *every time* the Sox had RISP in a high-leverage situation, but that wasn't really his fault. He's a utility guy, in that role, he's great

• Like 2