Rodon Contract Value

Flash

I'm totally fine with him walking. Kopech will almost certainly be in the rotation next year - as will the other guys who are still under contract. Rey Lopez might deserve a look and this isn't even taking Crochet into account. Rodon is fragile and I'm very weary of paying him/relying on him beyond this year. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Richie said:

I'm totally fine with him walking. Kopech will almost certainly be in the rotation next year - as will the other guys who are still under contract. Rey Lopez might deserve a look and this isn't even taking Crochet into account. Rodon is fragile and I'm very weary of paying him/relying on him beyond this year. 

How many innings do you think Kopech can pitch next season? It won't be close to a full season in the rotation, primarily because they shifted course from multi-inning appearances and spot starts to 1 inning appearances. Perhaps he is not healthy enough to do more the second half of this season, hence the 1 inning cap, which gives concern whether he will be able to sustain health in the future.

• 2018 140 2/3 IP
  • 2019 0
  • 2020 0
  • 2021 52 2/3

I'd love to see Rodon return, but I'm in agreement with most of you.  He's going to get paid by someone, and the Sox most likely won't offer enough.  There's the concern of his health, too.  We've seen, now, what a healthy Rodon looks like, and it's incredible.  But, can he stay healthy for an entire season.  He's showing signs of tiring now, and that's not unexpected based on how little he's pitched over the last couple years and the injuries and surgeries.

My fear, as I imagine many share, is that if the Sox do somehow sign him he'll end up hurt and not be the guy we're seeing now.  And if he signs elsewhere he'll be amazing and win a couple Cy Young awards.

The fan in me says try to sign him for 4/$80M or so, but the practical side of me says make the QO and see what happens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I'd love to see Rodon return, but I'm in agreement with most of you.  He's going to get paid by someone, and the Sox most likely won't offer enough.  There's the concern of his health, too.  We've seen, now, what a healthy Rodon looks like, and it's incredible.  But, can he stay healthy for an entire season.  He's showing signs of tiring now, and that's not unexpected based on how little he's pitched over the last couple years and the injuries and surgeries.

My fear, as I imagine many share, is that if the Sox do somehow sign him he'll end up hurt and not be the guy we're seeing now.  And if he signs elsewhere he'll be amazing and win a couple Cy Young awards.

The fan in me says try to sign him for 4/$80M or so, but the practical side of me says make the QO and see what happens.

With his injury past I don't think he gets an AAV of $20M/year... however, if for some reason you want to dangle $20M/year to him, it has to be a short term deal, like 2 years $40M or 3 and 60. No way you give him AAV of $20 and go longer than 3 years. NO WAY. If he wants a long term deal, he's going to have to lower his AAV, in my opinion. So I see him going 3/55 or 5/70. 

49 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

With his injury past I don't think he gets an AAV of $20M/year... however, if for some reason you want to dangle $20M/year to him, it has to be a short term deal, like 2 years $40M or 3 and 60. No way you give him AAV of $20 and go longer than 3 years. NO WAY. If he wants a long term deal, he's going to have to lower his AAV, in my opinion. So I see him going 3/55 or 5/70. 

Just remember, the Yankees signed an old JA Happ to a 2/$34 million ish deal with a 3rd year option and they regularly pay $10 million a year for guys like Paxton and Kluber. Assuming the luxury tax doesn’t become far more painful, If you had to choose between spending $25 million a year on the two weaker guys or on Rodon, doesn’t everyone gamble on Rodon?

• Like 1

There’s a lot of buy-in from the players into this core having a long dominant run.  Don’t discount that fact and our FO’s ability to negotiate creative contracts.  

If he likes it here then he’ll be here.  At least I think that’s the case more than the usual common refrain of “Injuries and Boras so it’s a no.  See ya.”

31 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

There’s a lot of buy-in from the players into this core having a long dominant run.  Don’t discount that fact and our FO’s ability to negotiate creative contracts.  

If he likes it here then he’ll be here.  At least I think that’s the case more than the usual common refrain of “Injuries and Boras so it’s a no.  See ya.”

I certainly wouldn't rule out him staying, even on a short term deal. I can even explain why he might accept a qualifying offer - nearly $20 million if nothing changes so he'd nearly double his career earnings, he'd clear out the QO so that it would never affect his free agency again, he'd get to pitch 1 more year to prove he's healthy and then score a really monster deal after 2 straight strong years, and he would guarantee himself a contract to start 2022 whenever the season starts, so that there is a 0% chance he gets stuck into the Keuchel/Kimbrel trap of a couple years ago. I don't think he will do that, but with no knowledge of how the CBA negotiations look, I can't deny the logic.

22 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is no way in hell Rodon gets close to $120M IMO. Not even close. He’d be fortunate to get half. Feel feee to quote me if I’m wrong down the road. Certainly may be. But with his history, I don’t see it. 4/$80M I could see as about his max imo. I think 3/$55M is probably closer. But who knows. 

Yea I'm with this one. His injury history is just too vast.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I certainly wouldn't rule out him staying, even on a short term deal. I can even explain why he might accept a qualifying offer - nearly $20 million if nothing changes so he'd nearly double his career earnings, he'd clear out the QO so that it would never affect his free agency again, he'd get to pitch 1 more year to prove he's healthy and then score a really monster deal after 2 straight strong years, and he would guarantee himself a contract to start 2022 whenever the season starts, so that there is a 0% chance he gets stuck into the Keuchel/Kimbrel trap of a couple years ago. I don't think he will do that, but with no knowledge of how the CBA negotiations look, I can't deny the logic.

I also agree with these 2 posts despite Boras.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

With Boras clients I think we put the blame for being “greedy” on the wrong person. Players that want to get paid are going to seek out Boras because he will get them paid. If an offer comes through Boras has to show Carlos and Boras can advise against signing it but the decision will still come down to Carlos. You don’t become the most powerful sports agent by messing with your clients or not putting their interests first. 

Maybe in the last few years Carlos learned the value of hard work and friendship. He signs with the Sox for $40/4. Or maybe he says “Scott, I know I can do it. How many years should I take on a contract so I can earn the most over my career?” Boras runs all the calculations and says if you sign for one year, play healthy, and enter free agency as a 29 year old #1 SP you’ll make $X million. If you play healthy for two years it’ll be $X million.

I think it’s impossible to guess how much Carlos will get paid. He could sign 1 year to play for the next big contract. He could try to max out the total dollars and term on the contract. He could play it somewhat safe on a 2/3 year deal where he can get paid again after. Who knows which teams would be interested for each type of contract and how a qualifying offer might impact that.

I think Carlos gets like 4/100 Million dollar deal. The White Sox should just pay it. He's lefthanded going squarely through his prime. I understand the risk with the injury history but you have to pay for upside as well. He very well could be the best starting pitcher for the next four years their is a price to that. 

The White Sox should focus on keeping their lineup and starting pitching together minus Keuchel. If you are able to move Kimbrel and Keuchel in the offseason that should free up enough room for next year. You may need to eat a few million to move off of Keuchel but they should do it. 

If you could for the next two years roll with this starting lineup and starting pitching- they have a chance to win multiple World Series. Jerry should do everything in his power to make that happen for the long-term success and worth of the franchise. 

35 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'll risk 4/60 on him.  Pass at 80+

He deserves $20M AAV, the length is the question,

Deserves at least what Lynn got, $38/2 years, for his age 35 and 36 seasons. Would offer $60M/3. Would pass on $80M/4 or $100/5 +.

Has pitched better than Lynn, especially since Lynn signed the extension (Rodon 30 IP, 2.70 ERA vs. Lynn now on IL, 45 IP, 3.80 ERA).

44 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

SoxTalk in the afternoon: "Let's pay market value for a starting pitcher!"

SoxTalk in the evening: Endlessly cursing the one starting pitcher we paid market value for.

Didn’t see any other reported bids for Keuchel before he signed with the Sox. 30 teams rejected him the previous season, solely “interest” from the Padres who have been interested in 100 players and acquired 50 of them the past few seasons.

MLB.com called his free agency murky, Fan Graphs had him with the worst projected fWAR.

Few if any GMs would lock him in today for the next two seasons at his current deal ($18m & $20m). 

https://www.mlb.com/news/dallas-keuchel-free-agent-outlook

Lollygagging through Spring Training and the start of this season didn’t seem to help him, neither did the shift in schedule from Central 60 games to a full season against all teams.

Seems as though the other four White Sox starters were up for the challenge this year, and they weren’t trashing their fellow teammates (causing a rebuke from Tim Anderson) and manager like Keuchel did throughout last season, nor did they whine about outfield defensive placement this season as an excuse for their 5.00 ERA.