9/3 game thread Sox @ KC *Rain Delay*

southsider2k5

Sleeveless?…the only player in the pre steroid era who handsomely could fill the sleeveless uni was Ted Kluszewski…mainly RedLegs but later ChiSox 59-‘60…Mods disqualified due to steroids and attitude…oh well…bring back Old Style and cigars to BlackHawks’ games!….Cragin Strong here!…

• Like 1

I like the 1971 Road Uniforms.  I picked up a tshirt with that style from '47 Brand that I wore for the Sunday night crosstown game at Wrigley and fist pumped a guy wearing the button up jersey of the same style.  I love those kind of random Sox fax interactions.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That's too bad.  Love the current can -- have a fridge full of them.

Yes, it's a good beer. The ones they brew here are typically good. The ones in NY/Col previously brewed here (312, IPA), not good. They should keep the cans the same, or just wait to issue a World Series commemorative issue!

In terms of the alternate uniforms, I like these the best.

6762536051_37cf9e10f6_o.jpg

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

I like the 1971 Road Uniforms.  I picked up a tshirt with that style from '47 Brand that I wore for the Sunday night crosstown game at Wrigley and fist pumped a guy wearing the button up jersey of the same style.  I love those kind of random Sox fax interactions.

Tommy John 1971 - Would have been a great 50th anniversary selection for this season.

308007d8feaf0232daccd47b7a06d475.jpg

1971WhiteSox.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, it's a good beer. The ones they brew here are typically good. The ones in NY/Col previously brewed here (312, IPA), not good. They should keep the cans the same, or just wait to issue a World Series commemorative issue!

In terms of the alternate uniforms, I like these the best.

6762536051_37cf9e10f6_o.jpg

Tommy John 1971 - Would have been a great 50th anniversary selection for this season.

308007d8feaf0232daccd47b7a06d475.jpg

1971WhiteSox.jpg

Sheeesh, Appling, in real time and at his age could probably outhit anyone pictured.

3 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Sheeesh, Appling, in real time and at his age could probably outhit anyone pictured.

Bill Melton had a 5.7 bWAR season, and was 13th in AL MVP voting (Wilbur Wood was 9th) with an .843 OPS (134 OPS +).

Carlos May was also a solid player for the Sox, finishing 3rd in ROY voting and an All Star in 1969, and also was an All Star in 1972.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Bill Melton had a 5.7 bWAR season, and was 13th in AL MVP voting (Wilbur Wood was 9th) with an .843 OPS (134 OPS +).

Carlos May was also a solid player for the Sox, finishing 3rd in ROY voting and an All Star in 1969, and also was an All Star in 1972.

Yeah those 1971 Sox were real terrors at the plate. Their OPS+ wasn't all that bad but overall - pretty meh.

Luke Appling:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/applilu01.shtml

Edited by FoxForce2

29 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Yeah those 1971 Sox were real terrors at the plate. Their OPS+ wasn't all that bad but overall - pretty meh.

Luke Appling:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/applilu01.shtml

Wilber Wood was only good for about 42 starts a year and maybe double headers. Couldn't really count on the guy too much. Wonder what his 71-72 stats would go for on today's market. The 71 squad made Chuck Tanner Manager Of The Year for a 23-game improvement.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, pcq said:

Wilber Wood was only good for about 42 starts a year and maybe double headers. Couldn't really count on the guy too much. Wonder what his 71-72 stats would go for on today's market. The 71 squad made Chuck Tanner Manager Of The Year for a 23-game improvement.

What does Wilbur Wood have to do with the Sox hitting? Sure, Tanner made a big improvement with posting a 79-83 season. Kudos to Chuck! I could bring up Appling's contributions as a coach on that team - but that's probably better left as a topic for the Hot Stove league.

Edited by FoxForce2

5 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm not a huge fan of the 83s, and think they should be trotted out only occasionally.  But I absolutely hate the sleeveless "vests."  I think they look trashy and scream early-2000s; the baseball uniform equivalent of boot-cut jeans, shiny shirts, and some kind of ridiculous yellow goggles perched on the forehead of a spiky-haired boy-bander.  

trust me we didn't even like the vests back in the early aughts.  never looked any good.