9/5- White Sox at Royals, 1:10

flavum

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Less about record and more about the health of the starting pitching

I bet if some of them wanted to play through the injuries right now, some of them would. They are resting them right now on purpose and being cautious. I would rather they be 100 percent healthy for the playoffs.

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I bet if some of them wanted to play through the injuries right now, some of them would. They are resting them right now on purpose and being cautious. I would rather they be 100 percent healthy for the playoffs.

There’s nothing that guarantees though that rest will resolve some of these issues (Rodon and Lynn specifically)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Hopefully they will be healthy by playoff time. But every time we think that, someone else gets hurt. Glad they're not playing the Royals anymore.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

There’s nothing that guarantees though that rest will resolve some of these issues (Rodon and Lynn specifically)

Would you rather they rest now and are 100 percent healthy in the playoffs versus they play through what they are going through right now and they get injured in the playoffs? You can’t guarantee they will not get injured in the playoffs either.

Edited by maloney.adam

Still going to win the division easily. IF Anderson comes back, the top 6 is still a wrecking crew offensively if no further injuries. 

Anderson, Robert, Abreu, Jimenez, Moncada, Grandal, with, Vaughn/Sheets, Goodwin and Hernandez bringing up the rear. 

THE HUGE QUESTION IS Pitching. 

Will Gio, Lynne and Rodon be healthy or not? Can Cease handle is as a 4th starter if needed. Is Kopech/Crotchet/Bummer  ready to pitch the 6th and 7th without choking. Is Bummer going to be great or a Bummer? Kimbrel/Hendriks combo should be fine. 

The health of the pitching staff should be a HUGE CONCERN or it’s 3 and out.

is 6 Starters the answer, each going a max of 6 innings if we have a big enough lead? Lopez needs to be inserted into the rotation to make this work. 

we have Dallas, Lopez, and Ruiz for long relief if necessary. 

Edited by AJ'S Cousin

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Would you rather they rest now and are 100 percent healthy in the playoffs versus they play through what they are going through right now and they get injured in the playoffs? You can’t guarantee they will not get injured in the playoffs either.

If they’re not healthy, then rest them. The problem is they’re not healthy.  They’ve had amazing luck all year with pitching injuries until the last few weeks.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

The 2005 White Sox went 29-28 in August and September with extended losing streaks.

They saw their double digit lead drop to 1.5 games against a talented Cleveland team by mid-September.

The Sox also had losing records against The Red Sox and Angels that season.

Is the current team struggling while Players are rested and on IL? Yes.

Is it Hyperbole to say it’s over and they won’t win a playoff game? YES.

Relax. One goal.

Man that’s just a terrible summary of how those 2 Months went. You even left out the two early October games.

August: 12-16.
September/October: 19-12. Started September with a 7 game winning streak.

That team played 7 games above .500 the last month and went into the playoffs on a winning streak. As long as you’re sure there’s a stretch of 16-1 ball coming, you’re right on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

The 2005 White Sox went 29-28 in August and September with extended losing streaks.

They saw their double digit lead drop to 1.5 games against a talented Cleveland team by mid-September.

The Sox also had losing records against The Red Sox and Angels that season.

There is no comparison. In 2005, the team also had Cleveland actually trying to field a WS competitive team, winning 93 games. This year, they dumped Lindor and Carrasco in the offseason. Detroit and Kansas also made no attempt to field a winning team this offseason, and Minnesota hasn't fielded a legitimate WS contender in 3 decades.

It is what it is, the AL Central is a farce, so they don't have to give a rats ass about fielding a regular lineup the final two months of the season. Owners are clamoring for ten wild card teams starting next year, rendering the entire regular season a glorified exhibition schedule, on par with the NBA, NHL and college basketball.

The AL Central is a farce, THIS YEAR, Minnesota and Cleveland gave up early. KC and Detroit are not quite ready unless they play us every game, KC that is. 

We’d be fighting for a wild card slot if we were in any other division. 

our record WOULD NOT be our record if we were in a different division 

Edited by AJ'S Cousin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Were we afraid of Houston when we swept their ass 4 straight to win the World Series in 2008???

HELL NO!!!!

AND WE AIN'T AFRAID OF 'EM NOW!!!

Who's with me?

AAAAAAARRRRRHH!!!

Wrong year but I get your point....and for the record that Astros team did not scare me as much as Boston and California.

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

If they’re not healthy, then rest them. The problem is they’re not healthy.  They’ve had amazing luck all year with pitching injuries until the last few weeks.

Giolito and Lynn are only going to miss one start. Two maximum but that’s it. Their injuries don’t seem very serious. Even Giolito has been progressing. Rodon on the other hand is a little concerning since he’s been on the injured list already.

Edited by maloney.adam

No comparison of the 2005 Astro’s and this version.  This version is much tougher. Yes we can beat them, but need to be at full strength. 

Engel will also be back soon.  Grandal and Anderson staying healthy along with the big 3 starters, Gio, Lynne and Rodon is the key to getting out of the 1st Round. The Yankees and Boston may be the Wild card game and that would eliminate one of them. TB gets the winner of that game. 

We need to host Houston, we need to catch them   

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

stop gate keeping.  Fans can criticize the team when they just LOST the season series to the Royals.  That is pathetic.  No way around it.

Uh, this makes you a gatekeeper then.  And no, going to pieces every time the team loses isn't a protected class.  

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

True but they also won 90 games and were entertaining. In reality, they over-achieved. The year before the team lost over 90 games. Nice turn around. And in this diluted playoff system, 90 wins can get you a wild card spot. No wild cards in 1977.

But we are in first place by 9.5 games.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Uh, this makes you a gatekeeper then.  And no, going to pieces every time the team loses isn't a protected class.  

Sometimes I feel bad for you mods being unable to use the Hall of Fame List.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Who is going to pieces?  Not I or anyone else on here.

Edited by Green Line

1 minute ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

This is not deluded playoff   am I wrong and this is the 2019 regular playoff? A play in game and then the other series start 

Yes, same format as 2019. If the season ended today it is a 1 game playoff between the Red Sox and Yankees for the 4th seed and a trip to Tampa, while the White Sox would be heading to Houston to start a 5 game series.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

None of the other teams have injuries. Sox just need more teen spirit. 

Unless there’s extraordinary circumstances, the playoff format is set unless massive injuries befall all the teams. 

TB vs Boston/NY Winner 

CWS vs Houston  

hopefully Boston or the Yankees upset TB, WE WIN and have home field 

Edited by AJ'S Cousin