9/5- White Sox at Royals, 1:10

flavum

2 hours ago, chisoxt said:

Don’t be stupid- No Trey Turner’s not coming here but you can you do a hell of a lot better than the garbage that they have sitting on the benchNo Trey Turner’s not coming here but you can you do a hell of a lot better than the garbage that they have sitting on the bench

If the Sox released Garcia, Goodwin, and Sheets tomorrow, they'd be picked up in a matter of hours. Who would you have liked them to sign this past offseason? Who would you like them to sign this coming offseason for depth? They're missing their borderline GG RF, their mvp SS, and 40% of their pitching staff + 20% of it sucks. This kind of stuff happens, dude. They're 22 over with this "crappy" depth.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If the Sox released Garcia, Goodwin, and Sheets tomorrow, they'd be picked up in a matter of hours. Who would you have liked them to sign this past offseason? Who would you like them to sign this coming offseason for depth? They're missing their borderline GG RF, their mvp SS, and 40% of their pitching staff + 20% of it sucks. This kind of stuff happens, dude. They're 22 over with this "crappy" depth.

I don't know why people don't get this.  There just aren't that many good baseball players out there.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

No comparison of the 2005 Astro’s and this version.  This version is much tougher. Yes we can beat them, but need to be at full strength. 

Engel will also be back soon.  Grandal and Anderson staying healthy along with the big 3 starters, Gio, Lynne and Rodon is the key to getting out of the 1st Round. The Yankees and Boston may be the Wild card game and that would eliminate one of them. TB gets the winner of that game. 

We need to host Houston, we need to catch them   

I don't want Engel if he is still injured. Tired of his karp just send him home. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

But we are in first place by 9.5 games.

True, but in a lousy division with only one other .500 team. In 1977, KC won 102. If memory serves me right, Texas, who was in the Sox division at the time, won 94. Since the ASB, the Sox have been shut out six times. That sucks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Man that’s just a terrible summary of how those 2 Months went. You even left out the two early October games.

August: 12-16.
September/October: 19-12. Started September with a 7 game winning streak.

That team played 7 games above .500 the last month and went into the playoffs on a winning streak. As long as you’re sure there’s a stretch of 16-1 ball coming, you’re right on. 

It’s quite accurate. But, I’ll roll with it…Tell me about what happened after that 7 game winning streak?

The point is the same. To claim, with absolute conviction, that the season is done and they won’t win one game in the playoffs is hyperbolic and silly.

Edited by RibbieRubarb
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

45 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

True, but in a lousy division with only one other .500 team. In 1977, KC won 102. If memory serves me right, Texas, who was in the Sox division at the time, won 94. Since the ASB, the Sox have been shut out six times. That sucks.

The 2001 Mariners won 116 games and lost in the first round.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, T R U said:

I mean, we’re 38-27 vs the division and 41-31 vs everyone else. We’re not a mirage of a weak division. 

That is a good point!  For all the hemming and hawing over supposed struggles against bad teams, the Sox only have a losing record against NYY and HOU amongst the "good" teams.  (SEA too, but they're not making the playoffs).  Splitting the season series w/ the Rays was good and we will see what happens with Boston.

• Like 1

The concern isn't whether they are winning are losing over the last two months, or what they did or didn't do in 2005 or 1977.  Also, beating a tanking Cleveland team is not even a minimal threshold during a "multi-championship window".

The concern is whether this team will be healthy enough and playing in mid-season/strong form heading into October to be a legitimate WS contender.

The legitimate concerns are:

• Rodon's shoulder is a concern, as is his innings count vs. previous innings counts the past few seasons. Is he out of gas?
  • Lynn's knee has been bothering him for at least a month, and has won once since his July contract extension.
  • Kopech has been very inconsistent since returning from the IL, and has regressed in terms of stretching out. Will he be able to contribute in October?
  • Grandal has caught 6 Sox games in the past two months, can he catch at least 2 of 3 / back to back games in October, and if so will it impact his hitting or the defense he attempts beyond framing?
  • Is Engel done, leaving defensive hacks Goodwin/Sheets as very possible RF possibilities vs. RHP in the playoffs?
  • Does Tony have enough strength this late in the season, or can someone on the bench be assigned to assist raising Tony's hand in the air with four fingers raised to signal an intentional walk to umpires when circumstances dictate, or will he need a few more lessons before grasping this "new rule" in 2021 or 2022, and continue to blame catchers or missed pitches in the interim?

Lucas and Tim are also out, but based on progress reports they are at the lower end of potential concerns at this point, and will hopefully be themselves in 1-2 weeks. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The concern isn't whether they are winning are losing over the last two months, or what they did or didn't do in 2005 or 1977.  Also, beating a tanking Cleveland team is not even a minimal threshold during a "multi-championship window".

The concern is whether this team will be healthy enough and playing in mid-season/strong form heading into October to be a legitimate WS contender.

• Rodon's shoulder is a concern, as is his innings count vs. previous innings counts the past few seasons. Is he out of gas?
  • Lynn's knee has been bothering him for at least a month, and has won once since his July contract extension.
  • Kopech has been very inconsistent since returning from the IL, and has regressed in terms of stretching out. Will he be able to contribute in October?
  • Grandal has caught 6 Sox games in the past two months, can he catch at least 2 of 3 / back to back games in October, and if so will it impact his hitting or the defense he attempts beyond framing?
  • Is Engel done, leaving defensive hacks Goodwin/Sheets as very possible RF possibilities vs. RHP in the playoffs?
  • Does Tony have enough strength this late in the season, or can someone on the bench be assigned to assist raising Tony's hand in the air with four fingers raised to signal an intentional walk to umpires when circumstances dictate, or will he need a few more lessons before grasping this "new rule" in 2021 or 2022, and continue to blame catchers or missed pitches in the interim?

Lucas and Tim are also out, but based on progress reports they are at the lower end of potential concerns at this point, and will hopefully be themselves in 1-2 weeks. 

WE'RE FUUUUUCKED!!!

1 hour ago, RibbieRubarb said:

It’s quite accurate. But, I’ll roll with it…Tell me about what happened after that 7 game winning streak?

The point is the same. To claim, with absolute conviction, that the season is done and they won’t win one game in the playoffs is hyperbolic and silly.

And saying that there’s no reason to worry because the division lead is huge and you have absolute confidence that they will flip the switch on once it gets to October after 3 months of treading water and winding up with the #3 seed seems equally silly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You’ve got Boston over the Rays? Why?

I'm counting on the Rays to fall apart in the 1st round....call it a hunch and a hope....hey dont step on my positivity Balta...I'm trying something new.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And saying that there’s no reason to worry because the division lead is huge and you have absolute confidence that they will flip the switch on once it gets to October after 3 months of treading water and winding up with the #3 seed seems equally silly.

Sox have already lost as many series since the ASB as they did before it

I love the Sox and realize this season is the "year of the injury" on the Southside and Sox are doing fine, but it seems as if Sox have been mediocre to blah since the all star break. Since the break, are the Sox even .500? How are they on the road? The whole year I continue to be amazed it's not even a race. Not complaining but it's pretty annoying that Royals won the season series vs. the Sox (or I think they did) when KC is tanking. Now this simple fact can be blamed on Sox injuries, but it's still annoying to lose to those bums as much as the Sox have in a year KC is tanking.

Heaven help the Sox in the playoffs. Maybe the team will win it all and I'll be ecstatic.

Edited by greg775

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So what is the endgame on this line of thought? 
it’s silly to be positive and look at past history and say it’s too soon to panic?

that’s silly?

ok dude. Wallow in sorrow. Have a fun month I guess. 

7 hours ago, Bossanoveralls said:

WE'RE FUUUUUCKED!!!

It’s possible. Or they can play well and players can return healthy, shore up any rust, and head into October strong.

I believe that is the mindset for a majority of the board at this juncture, not a knee jerk oblivious confidence or doomed mindset.

Gives us all plenty of reasons to watch the games, follow club news, and post here whether it’s good, bad, or (winning) ugly.

The Sox are managing their lineups and IL in a way that suggests they’re not all that concerned about these final regular season games.  I’ll judge the wisdom of that strategy based on the results of games in October.  I’m certainly not going to live and die by the day-to-day results in August and September.

36 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

The Sox are managing their lineups and IL in a way that suggests they’re not all that concerned about these final regular season games.  I’ll judge the wisdom of that strategy based on the results of games in October.  I’m certainly not going to live and die by the day-to-day results in August and September.

That's uncalled for, 35th.

13 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I do think the Sox have been burned enough by the just don't give him anything to. Hit strategy where 4 fingers should be standard. The weird thing is Tony had no problem putting them up for a washed up Pujols earlier this season.