Worried about the playoff rotation?

Dominikk85

The rotation so far was the biggest strength of the sox (albeit line up and pen have been good too: 1st in AL in starter war, 4th in position player and reliever war) but recently this rotation was struggling a bit (4.9 era last two weeks) and their  3 best pitchers are currently hurt and cease got roughed up too last start.

Are you worried starters have been overworked? Or do you think the DL trips are just fake to get some rest? How confident are you the top 4 can be as good as they were in the first  half? if they are the sox could be very hard to beat 

Edited by Dominikk85

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

The rotation so far was the biggest strength of the sox (albeit line up and pen have been good too: 1st in AL in starter war, 4th in position player and reliever war) but recently this rotation was struggling a bit (4.9 era last two weeks) and their  3 best pitchers are currently hurt and cease got roughed up too last start.

Are you worried starters have been overworked? Or do you think the DL trips are just fake to get some rest? How confident are you the top 4 can be as good as they were in the first  half? if they are the sox could be very hard to beat 

I'm worried about more than the rotation, even if they keep it tight the lack of runs in certain recent games is also a concern. When its clicks we can beat anyone but when it doesn't even KC can shut us out.

It’s too early to tell, though I don’t believe these IL stints (or Rodon’s potential IL stint) are fake.

Other playoff teams are in the same boat, in terms of having pitchers broach uncharted innings territory after the ridiculous 102 game lockout.

The good news is the Sox have a solid offense which allows them to compete in a slugfest if one or more of their three key starters do not return to form.

Houston is also limping into the final month (15-15 vs. Sox 16-14), Greinke has COVID, and their top two hitters are slumping (Altuve and Bregman).

On the flip side, Tampa (22-8 last 30) seems best suited for the AL playoffs at this juncture, since they don’t rely on 1-2 key players. The Dodgers (also 22-8) look insanely good after picking up Scherzer (a clear upgrade over Bauer), and Turner. Their 26 year old 2019 MVP is batting 8th / riding the bench. The Yankees (21-9) are mashing as well and are in any game with their lineup as the Sox saw first hand in August.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It’s too early to tell, though I don’t believe these IL stints (or Rodon’s potential IL stint) are fake.

Other playoff teams are in the same boat, in terms of having pitchers broach uncharted innings territory after the ridiculous 102 game lockout.

The good news is the Sox have a solid offense which allows them to compete in a slugfest if one or more of their three key starters do not return to form.

Houston is also limping into the final month (15-15 vs. Sox 16-14), Greinke has COVID, and their top two hitters are slumping (Altuve and Bregman).

On the flip side, Tampa (22-8 last 30) seems best suited for the AL playoffs at this juncture, since they don’t rely on 1-2 key players. The Dodgers (also 22-8) look insanely good after picking up Scherzer (a clear upgrade over Bauer), and Turner. Their 26 year old 2019 MVP is batting 8th / riding the bench. The Yankees (21-9) are mashing as well and are in any game with their lineup as the Sox saw first hand in August.

TB vs SF is my WS pick, both teams have proven to be the real deal, all the other playoff teams have more glaring question marks than those 2

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yankees just dropped 2-3 against Baltimore and 6 of 8 since their streak.

other than Tampa…everyone is limping in…

16 minutes ago, flavum said:

10/7 at Hou Lynn

10/8 at Hou Rodon

10/9 off

10/10 at Sox Giolito

10/11 at Sox Cease

10/12 off

10/13 at Hou Lynn

FWIW, Lynn is 3-6 with a 4.92 career ERA at Minute Maid park. He’s 2-1 against the Astros in his home parks, with an ERA that looks to be around 1.75

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, flavum said:

10/7 at Hou Lynn

10/8 at Hou Rodon

10/9 off

10/10 at Sox Giolito

10/11 at Sox Cease

10/12 off

10/13 at Hou Lynn

If these 4 are healthy, I feel good about the ALDS.  Presuming of course that the offense can produce any consistent run support.

• Like 1

Man not at all.  I know I’ve been overdoing it all year about “not worrying”, but really, I’m still pumping that train. 

We simply have more talent than the other rosters we will face in the AL playoffs.  Now that can be obviously be exposed in a short series because of luck/chance but there isn’t an AL team I would trade pitching staffs with.  

Enjoy the Houston steamroll brother. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worried about the rotation a little bit and the team mojo. They had an arrogance (in a good way) and felt unbeatable, who knows if they can recreate. We’ll just have to see. As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don’t know we don’t know

Rodon is the one I’m worried about.  Gio has all but said his IL stint is just about rest and I don’t think Lynn’s injury is that serious.  But Rodon saying his shoulder “doesn’t feel right” — after coming back from what seemed like a “rest” already — scares me a bit.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Man not at all.  I know I’ve been overdoing it all year about “not worrying”, but really, I’m still pumping that train. 

We simply have more talent than the other rosters we will face in the AL playoffs.  Now that can be obviously be exposed in a short series because of luck/chance but there isn’t an AL team I would trade pitching staffs with.  

Attaboy, Jerk!

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Worried about the rotation a little bit and the team mojo. They had an arrogance (in a good way) and felt unbeatable, who knows if they can recreate. We’ll just have to see. As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don’t know we don’t know

Billy's the one who's got the mojo.

But he must use it only for good. Never for evil.

5 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

TB vs SF is my WS pick, both teams have proven to be the real deal, all the other playoff teams have more glaring question marks than those 2

I think SF bows out in first round. Good team for sure but theyve way overachieved. 

If we can run out a healthy Giolito, Lynn, Rodon in ALDS and then Cease takes the 4th spot in the ALCS, I am not too worried. But if those guys aren’t healthy - obviously the concern rises significantly. As others have said, we’ll see where we’re at in a few weeks. I’d love to play good baseball in Sep, but getting healthy for October IS more important.

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Lambert is gold dude dont stop now. 

12 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The only one I'm really worried about is Rodon.

It would be huge to not have a top shelf Rodon in the post season.

Edited by hi8is
This post should be up for the “duh award of the day”
  • Haha 1