Worried about the playoff rotation?

Dominikk85

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

I dont think these are 'fake IL stints' for rest. Rodon's MPH were down his last start, its clear hes hurt. 

Yes its worrisome, your 3 best pitchers are fighting injuries. Everyone was banking on the consistency of Rodon and Lynn and now thats in jeopardy.

Why is Lynn in jeopardy?  His IL stint is fake.  Yeah he's dinged up but if htis was a playoff race, he'd be pitching.  Only one I'm concerned about is Rodon. I think the pain is from him not being used to throwing this many innings.

Definitely concerned about Rodon. Many people stated (and were shouted down) that the Sox should have shut Rodon down a couple of times earlier in the season because we ALL knew he wouldn't hold up all year. We're paying for that decision right now and more importantly come October. I guess we were afraid of angering the mighty Scott Boras in the handling of his client. 

7 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

Why is Lynn in jeopardy?  His IL stint is fake.  Yeah he's dinged up but if htis was a playoff race, he'd be pitching.  Only one I'm concerned about is Rodon. I think the pain is from him not being used to throwing this many innings.

He has a 4.67 ERA since the start of August and has lasted 5 or fewer innings in 4 of his last 6 starts. So while he might be able to pitch through this, if there is something still nagging him when he gets back, you can see he’s been less effective.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Fegan’s article today about the pitching is fantastic. The Rodon stuff does not sound great.  Sox need him to be electric for the postseason.

Yet some people around here think some team is going to hand Rodon a Wheeler-like contract?  Dude just can't stay healthy.  Even 4/$60M would be a sizable gamble.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yet some people around here think some team is going to hand Rodon a Wheeler-like contract?  Dude just can't stay healthy.  Even 4/$60M would be a sizable gamble.  

While it’s not a good gamble for us, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad gamble for every team.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

While it’s not a good gamble for us, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad gamble for every team.

Carlos has never made 30 starts in a season.  He's averaged just 16 starts a season over a 7 year career.  Any team handing him $120M+ would be insane.  That's without even taking into account he has a 20 game sample of being anything more than a backend SP. 

I wish Carlos the best following 2021 and I hope he can stay healthy.  I certainly hope we get the A+ version of Carlos in October. But if anyone signs him to a multi-year deal over $15M AAV, they're going to regret it.   

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The only teams it would be a good gamble for are teams that can afford to pay a guy $20M or more a year for 2-3 years to not pitch, which is pretty much the Yankees, Dodgers and Cubs.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

He has a 4.67 ERA since the start of August and has lasted 5 or fewer innings in 4 of his last 6 starts. So while he might be able to pitch through this, if there is something still nagging him when he gets back, you can see he’s been less effective.

I don't know.  If you take away that Cubs start it's 2.86.  That basically came down to him making a really awful pitch to Wisdom.  He seems to be laboring a bit more but before that Cubs start, you have that masterful start against the Blue Jays where he shut down one of the better offenses in the American League.

I am glad they have the luxury to rest him right now, that's for sure.  Rodon really is the only one I'm worried about.

39 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I don't know.  If you take away that Cubs start it's 2.86.  That basically came down to him making a really awful pitch to Wisdom.  He seems to be laboring a bit more but before that Cubs start, you have that masterful start against the Blue Jays where he shut down one of the better offenses in the American League.

I am glad they have the luxury to rest him right now, that's for sure.  Rodon really is the only one I'm worried about.

The Blue Jays were hitting the ball off Lynn that game pretty hard, they just happened to go right at people. He's clearly been working through some stuff injury-wise. I don't think he's really been fully healthy all year. First it was the neck issue he went on the IL for and now it's the knee. 

Nope, I am not. Why? Because every team can have this discussion ... 

Boston is going to have to roll out a shaky ERod and then either Houck or Pivetta

Houston will have to roll out a 3rd and 4th starter of Urquidy, Luis Garcia (w IP limitations that have been already passed), or Odorizzi. 

Yankees will have what? Kluber, Taillon, J. Montgomery? Not exactly murderers row behind Cole.

Oakland?  They're taped together right now with Irvin falling apart. Montas and Manaea are bi-polar. Go through unhittable stretches and then pain.

Seattle makes it? Good luck after Marco Gonzalez ... flexen, kikuchi and his 6era post ASB, logan gilbert with a rookie arm that's been slowing down?

Tampa - the best team right? Well, last i check they keep rolling out Yarbs, Wacha, Archer, etc. Patino and McClanahan are two fireballer rookie arms, but still TBD how that holds up in playoffs. 

So no, I'm not concerned with a team that has Cease, Rodon, Lynn and Giolito. We have the horses, even if currently scraped up and bruised to keep us in the hunt regardless. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Nope, I am not. Why? Because every team can have this discussion ... 

Boston is going to have to roll out a shaky ERod and then either Houck or Pivetta

Houston will have to roll out a 3rd and 4th starter of Urquidy, Luis Garcia (w IP limitations that have been already passed), or Odorizzi. 

Yankees will have what? Kluber, Taillon, J. Montgomery? Not exactly murderers row behind Cole.

Oakland?  They're taped together right now with Irvin falling apart. Montas and Manaea are bi-polar. Go through unhittable stretches and then pain.

Seattle makes it? Good luck after Marco Gonzalez ... flexen, kikuchi and his 6era post ASB, logan gilbert with a rookie arm that's been slowing down?

Tampa - the best team right? Well, last i check they keep rolling out Yarbs, Wacha, Archer, etc. Patino and McClanahan are two fireballer rookie arms, but still TBD how that holds up in playoffs. 

So no, I'm not concerned with a team that has Cease, Rodon, Lynn and Giolito. We have the horses, even if currently scraped up and bruised to keep us in the hunt regardless. 

Your problem is you're comparing the Sox to actual teams they might be playing, instead of an untethered, unattainable standard of team construction you invented in your mind.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, ChiSox59 said:

I think SF bows out in first round. Good team for sure but theyve way overachieved. 

If we can run out a healthy Giolito, Lynn, Rodon in ALDS and then Cease takes the 4th spot in the ALCS, I am not too worried. But if those guys aren’t healthy - obviously the concern rises significantly. As others have said, we’ll see where we’re at in a few weeks. I’d love to play good baseball in Sep, but getting healthy for October IS more important.

have you watched the Giants vs Dodgers games? they are easily hanging with them, I don't know how anyone can't see the Giants as a legit team at this point

• Like 1