2000 White Sox

DannyWright

29 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

Im sorry if my facts got in the way of your dreams

Fact is the rotation is crumbling , injuries, fatigue, and loss of talent have devestated the arms. Also, now Kopech sucks too...

Tell me why im wrong

Just for the hell of it, why don't you tell us why you're right?  What are the "facts" you have access to that tell you Giolito, Lynn, and Rodon will all be unhealthy and ineffective 30 days from now?  

I think any of the teams going to the playoffs can end up in the World Series. I think it is that wide open. The Rays have the best record, but they have 18-1 margin against the  Orioles. Not knocking that, but the Sox and the West teams didn't have the advantage of playing against Baltimore 19 times.

DannyWright is entitled to his opinion. The White Sox have some question marks heading into the post season. But I think they have the same chance as any other contender.

44 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

Calling someone a  troll because they do not agree with your narrative is rather childish. Im simply asking you to tell me why im wrong and bring facts to support your argument

On 8/11/2021 at 3:10 PM, DannyWright said:

what a bunch of crybabies in here.

TLR crybabies, especially. Grow up, theyre 10 games up in mid august with an important stretch of games coming up.

Dis you? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Just now, Bossanoveralls said:

Is there any way to fend this off, then?

Or are we all passengers on a derailing train just quietly waiting for our car's dive into the ravine thinking "we shoulda believed that guy last month"?

I mean it's not that hard to predict doom and gloom for a team that hasn't been very good since the ASB. Either way, it's basically 50/50 that he's right or wrong. 

I think a lot of people on this board have their doubts on just how good this team will be in the playoffs, but I don't think everyone is saying for sure that they'll fail like OP is. Besides, the MLB playoffs are a total crapshoot.

9 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I mean it's not that hard to predict doom and gloom for a team that hasn't been very good since the ASB. Either way, it's basically 50/50 that he's right or wrong. 

I think a lot of people on this board have their doubts on just how good this team will be in the playoffs, but I don't think everyone is saying for sure that they'll fail like OP is. Besides, the MLB playoffs are a total crapshoot.

Being realistic, the injuries to the pitching staff are scary.  We don't know how they will, or will not, continue.  Sure, this could be the beginning of the end.  It could also be something to large extent which was pre-mediated and coordinated in order to slip some rest in for our starters after their major jump in work load after 2020.  In two months we could be laughing about this just like we did Cleveland in 2005, or we could be looking at this like we did 2020's end.

But I am not willing to proclaim this season dead.  That's the last thing I see right now.  Anyone who proclaims to KNOW what the next two months will bring is either lying or overreacting.  What is going to happen, will happen.  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Is there any way to fend this off, then?

Or are we all passengers on a derailing train just quietly waiting for our car's dive into the ravine thinking "we shoulda believed that guy last month"?

There is only one answer to this question, and of course it's "who knows?" 

That's the beauty of sports. If we knew what was going to happen in the playoffs, what's the point? 

However....people have a right to feel anyway they want. And as Ribbie said earlier, there are people that love to play the negative card just so they don't get hurt down the line. The problem with that, in my opinion, is it goes against the whole idea of rooting for a sports team. Part of the draw is the uncertainty. You watch because you don't know what you're going to see that night. Is my team going to get shut out? Are they going to hit 6 HR's? A no-hitter? A walk-off? I know for myself, I can't watch a game from yesterday on tape, even if I don't know the outcome. The feeling that it isn't live just wrecks it for me. 

Anyway, the other point to this being a fan of this specific White Sox team. None of us know how the next 3-4 years are going to go.....but there is enough MLB history on our side to tell us right now is the "come up" which can be the most fun you ever have as a fan. This is the time when your team really arrives on the scene. When all the crap seasons of a rebuild start to pay off, and you see the fruits of those efforts come alive. They have the third-best winning percentage in the AL, have run away with their own division and have a young, incredibly likeable core that's locked up for the foreseeable future. If you want to make the effort to come to a White Sox message board when the team is 79-58 and tell people you only think they'll win one game in the playoffs....that's your call. I just don't really see the point. Then why watch? What are you doing with your time? What's the point in rooting for a team? This will be the FIRST TIME IN FRANCHISE HISTORY THE SOX MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN BACK TO BACK SEASONS. If you're a Sox fan, I just can't grasp not being at least hopeful for what's to come. 

But to each their own. 

• Thanks 3

The White Sox will be doomed going into October. They don't have a true closer - just a fat, overweight minor league reject after the international star fizzled out. Our homegrown star left. The truly big, big power bat we need is injured and we don't have a real DH. The rotation is smoke and mirrors, because we're vulnerable and only have 4 starters - a soft tossing lefty, a Yankees' reject riding a hot streak, a sweaty trade acquisition, and a bum from the Cubs. You know how they're bums? They can't hold a 15 game lead against the Indians.

These are facts don't @ me 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Being realistic, the injuries to the pitching staff are scary.  We don't know how they will, or will not, continue.  Sure, this could be the beginning of the end.  It could also be something to large extent which was pre-mediated and coordinated in order to slip some rest in for our starters after their major jump in work load after 2020.  In two months we could be laughing about this just like we did Cleveland in 2005, or we could be looking at this like we did 2020's end.

But I am not willing to proclaim this season dead.  That's the last thing I see right now.  Anyone who proclaims to KNOW what the next two months will bring is either lying or overreacting.  What is going to happen, will happen.  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

I've watched about 10 innings of White Sox baseball in the last 1.5 weeks. I've been somewhat busy, but I've also had very little interest in the team during that stretch. These are basically spring training games. They don't matter. Yes, I know home field is up for grabs, and I'd love to see the Sox get it....but aside from that there is very little they are playing for right now, and it doesn't draw my interest. I say that because my guess is the players are feeling that too. Right or wrong, it's sort of a natural feeling. 

The injuries are scary. And we all know it can be tough to "flip the switch" back on once the playoffs come. But I really think they are just going through the dog days with the division been long wrapped up. 

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This is essentially why I struggle with the posts on both ends of the spectrum declaring things as fact.

"First round playoff exit incoming."

"The offense will click."

Maybe and maybe. Why isn't that enough?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyWright said:

We can revisit this thread in 30 days. Im confident in being correct

Okay. Cool. 

So will every team except for one. 

Also, wasting time on people like you never is worth it. People like to bring others down with them. Social vampires.

I'll enjoy this team, the full ballparks, the excitement, the Pennant race, playoff baseball, another season of Jose Abreu, the resurgence of Rodon, Robert looking like a star, etc. 

You on the other hand can continue to cheer against the team, all while surrounding yourself with a White Sox message board to make sure you can't get away from your misery. :) 

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, Tony said:

I've watched about 10 innings of White Sox baseball in the last 1.5 weeks. I've been somewhat busy, but I've also had very little interest in the team during that stretch. These are basically spring training games. They don't matter. Yes, I know home field is up for grabs, and I'd love to see the Sox get it....but aside from that there is very little they are playing for right now, and it doesn't draw my interest. I say that because my guess is the players are feeling that too. Right or wrong, it's sort of a natural feeling. 

I think there's a lot of truth to this.  The players are human and don't have much reason to "get up" right now, even if we were consistently putting our best team out on the field, which we aren't.  There were really only a handful of games in the past few weeks that gave the players any reason to feel "juiced" - the FOD game and the Cubs series.  I liked the way they responded in those.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Ten teams make the postseason, 6 are gone by the time the LCS starts.  Considering the random nature of post season play, predicting disaster isn't that ballsy of a move.  It is the most likely outcome for the majority of teams.

Yep.  And it costs nothing to do the reflexive, emotional hedging negativity routine every time -- other than one high five from me if and when things actually go well.

2 hours ago, DannyWright said:

How did Scherzer do?

Calling someone a  troll because they do not agree with your narrative is rather childish. Im simply asking you to tell me why im wrong and bring facts to support your argument

The best I can tell you is you are a bit early in your assessment. Let's wait to see how everybody does and once they are off the IL  and LaRussa starts playing the full lineup everyday. Don't know when that will be but hopefully in the last 10 games or so and they can get through that without injury.

Anything you are seeing now usually has 3 or 4 subs in the lineup.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

You notice that all of this issues arose when they have many off days and prior to a tough road trip.  These also coincide with the fact the Indians have not gained ground and the offense is just now back to normal.

Rodon is not even on the IL.  He is just pushed back.  Rodon has always had lower velocity early in games and then turns it up.  To use the drop in velocity as a sign that there are issues seems a little too neat.  My guess is they are seizing an opportunity to push them all back because they had the off days.  

Of all these things I am most concerned with, the fact Kopech is kind of getting lost is top of the list.  Tonight would be a perfect night for a few innings from him to start in the big pitcher's park. 

30 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The one player I worry about is Tim Anderson. When I see him back in the lineup and being his normal self, I'll feel better. If Anderson isn't healthy, things will be very tough for that offense.

There’s no question Tim is one of, if not the most valuable player to the team. But it’s still such a stacked lineup on paper without him. It’s surprising how a potent lineup like that relies so much on Tim in order to function at a high level.