What Should They Do with AV?

shago

The K with runners at 1st and 3rd, no outs, in a pivotal part of the game last night is just the latest in what we all know are his RISP struggles.

Since they clearly don't care about HFA against the Astros, don't you rest the guy? I'd argue, send him to AZ with a stint on the IL to work on his approach to seeing sliders away in the cage. Something...

Guy is a total liability right now.

You do nothing. You use your 1,000 years of managing experience with cases similar to this and try to snap him out of it. He's a rookie and been a key part to this team. He hasn't been ideal with RISP, but this is not the time to make any changes. If he still can't get a hit with RISP and its now October? Then bring in a pinch hitter if it's necessary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, macsandz said:

100%. He's gotta learn to hit when he's tired, frustrated and in between like every other MLB hitter.

It's a process.  He'll be fine. He'll be good. 

Yeah, but at the same time, if he’s at the limit of what he can physically contribute this year, the team has priorities other than just developing him.

• Like 2

They clearly should overrreact to a guy who has made an incredible leap this year, and never played nearly as much as he has played this year in his life by sending him to rookie ball because he hasn't hit with RISP and two outs.  Because we all know that the way to hit major league sliders is more batting practice, in rookie ball.

Instant gratification much?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I thought about it some more and I don’t think sending him down to AAA is going to do him any good at this point. He’s only a rookie and needs to learn how to adjust. I think we’re expecting way too much out of him in his first season in the majors. In the long run, he’ll be fine.

I agree that the 12 days left in the AAA season can't help him much 

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I thought about it some more and I don’t think sending him down to AAA is going to do him any good at this point. He’s only a rookie and needs to learn how to adjust. I think we’re expecting way too much out of him in his first season in the majors. In the long run, he’ll be fine.

I think in most other years he would have been sent down a month ago, but he’s needed more because of injuries and just has to gut it out this year. 

I think this is a case of the games catching up with him as well as the fatigue of learning a couple of new positions.  I think they need to sit him and make a call on the playoffs.

If the team is healthy I am not certain there is a spot for him in October but I think they need to look at rewarding him with a spot at the same time as he is a long term option and really has given everything for this team this year.  

The biggest thing the team has to worry about right now is his confidence. We have to remember Vaughn probably would have gotten very little major league playing time this season if it wasn't for all the injuries. He will be a good hitter. You just don't want his development delayed because he gets down on himself. Meanwhile he has to change his approach in RBI situations because whatever he is doing now isn't working.

26 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The biggest thing the team has to worry about right now is his confidence. We have to remember Vaughn probably would have gotten very little major league playing time this season if it wasn't for all the injuries. He will be a good hitter. You just don't want his development delayed because he gets down on himself. Meanwhile he has to change his approach in RBI situations because whatever he is doing now isn't working.

See, I disagree. In 2019 that’s fine thinking. In 2021, the biggest thing they have to worry about is him coming up in a key situation in the playoffs where the opponent can go to a righty reliever, without him snapping out of this funk beforehand.

I do not know whether the answer is to rest him, bench him, or have him play through it.

22 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

He needs an “IL” stint to reset after Anderson comes back. Give him a few days off. He’s been very bad the last 3 weeks. 

IL really not that necessary.  Just start Goodwin or Sheets and leave him on the bench for a little while 

I think the answer now is the same answer that it was when people were overreacting to a 38 OPS+ against RHP.  Andrew Vaughn is your future.  There is no better option the Sox have than a healthy and peaked out Andrew Vaughn, so you do everything possible to get him there before the playoffs.  You playing him regularly through the good and the bad so that he keeps learning on the job and hopefully progressing towards being the hitter that he can be.  If he is still on the struggle bus in the playoffs, you mix and match with him as needed, but then April 1 next year you are running him into the line up another 150 times and 600 PAs.  Rookies especially ride these waves of extremely good and bad.  It happens, and if you watch baseball you should know this.  Few rookies have the upside of Andrew Vaughn, and as an organization you do what you can to get him there.

He's a rookie who, as others have mentioned, may be hitting that wall physically.  Give him some rest, limit his exposure to RH pitchers, and keep him fresh for the playoffs.  This kid is part of the future of the team.  He has work to do to improve, especially against RH pitchers.  There is plenty of time for that in the off season and spring training next year.  For the near term, some rest and specific starts and plate appearances.