What Should They Do with AV?

shago

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

If he still can't get a hit with RISP and its now October? Then bring in a pinch hitter if it's necessary.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he is still on the struggle bus in the playoffs, you mix and match with him as needed

Except time isn’t exactly on your side in the postseason. I’m not sure we have the luxury of letting him fail in big spots in the playoffs.

Don’t get me wrong, I still think he’s the best option all things considered. It’s not an ideal situation, but you just hope he can start putting things together before the calendar flips to October. If there’s no real signs of improvement by the final week of the regular season, I think you have to start limiting his role.

It's clear that because of injuries, Vaughn was rushed into MLB. I believe that next year Vaughn should start the season at Birmingham or Charlotte. If he hits well down there, bring him back up and see if he's ready for MLB then. I think Vaughn still has a chance to be a slightly above average ML hitter some day, but he should be playing first base.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jerry McNertney said:

It's clear that because of injuries, Vaughn was rushed into MLB. I believe that next year Vaughn should start the season at Birmingham or Charlotte. If he hits well down there, bring him back up and see if he's ready for MLB then. I think Vaughn still has a chance to be a slightly above average ML hitter some day, but he should be playing first base.

Are you serious with this?  You would like to see Andrew start in Birmingham next year?  This is lunacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind seeing Leury platoon with Andrew out there once TA gets healthy again but the fact is, you have to ride him and hope he gets out of this funk he's in.  Luis did manage to get out of the slump for the very brief playoff series last year.  Maybe Vaughn does the same.  Although, once Engel does get back and if Sheets continues to put up quality at bats, I don't mind seeing Engel and Sheets starting over Vaughn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry McNertney said:

lmao

5 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

It's not affecting him in the field.  But he needs to sit some more.  He's lost at bat.

Our fanbase is obsessed with resting/sitting players as cures for struggles. I still say as much batting practice as they take, rest is overrated. I still think Vaughn and Sheets will be OK. I guess there's a chance they could turn into Yermin, but I'm not so sure rest is the answer. Yes it's annoying when he and Sheets both turn into instant outs, but I'd quit stressing over sitting guys. If Sox manager and hitting coach and scouts think he's still "ready" for the bigs and still has the tools, let him hit. I think it'll be interesting in the postseason when  adrenaline takes control and some of these guys either fail miserably or rake the ball all over the field and over the fence.

It's so easy to say a guy should sit after they have a pathetic game or four. p.s. has nothing to do with the thread, but once again we see why Jerry doesn't like to sign pitchers to lucrative deals. Kuechel appears done. He had fairly good stuff last night and still four runs and was hard hit from the fourth til sixth. Ugh. Even Dallas is only a 4-5 inning guy now.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are you serious with this?  You would like to see Andrew start in Birmingham next year?  This is lunacy.

You see in MLB The Show, in GM mode, I can do this and it doesn't effect my players because they aren't real.

I won 135 games this year. 

This should also work in real baseball.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, RibbieRubarb said:

You see in MLB The Show, in GM mode, I can do this and it doesn't effect my players because they aren't real.

I won 135 games this year. 

This should also work in real baseball.

Tony La Russa once sent me to the bench in The Show - and I'm convinced he sent me to AAA - because I didn't draw a walk in two weeks. I was hitting .380 and led the team in homers and RBIs.

It all comes back to Tony.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Everyone needs to settle down with the extreme solutions. MLB caliber players go through really bad slumps sometimes - Paul Konerko had a .568 OPS first half in 2003 - and that was 4 years into his career. 

He had also played through a broken foot down the stretch in 2002 and was still suffering pain from it. I would very much oppose Vaughn playing through a severe injury right now.

It might be getting too late in the season for AVaughn to make the adjustments necessary to hit the better RH pitchers consistently. I'm not suggesting Vaughn hasn't or can't hit RH pitching, but maybe there are better alternatives at this point  like Sheets against RH pitching.

The way the entire team is hitting lately, it may not matter how Vaughn is deployed. There are a few guys who are in hitting slumps right now and other than Abreu and Grandal to some extent, no one is getting the clutch hit we need to stay in some of these close games.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:10 AM, Kyyle23 said:

IL really not that necessary.  Just start Goodwin or Sheets and leave him on the bench for a little while 

Preferably Engel if he  is available.  We need to have better defense in the outfield.  Goodwin has been exposed too many times as a horrible OF.  He should be relegated to occasional DH and pinch hitter against righties, but please keep him out of the outfield.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, Jerry McNertney said:

You are out of your mind.  Vaughn is going to be a key factor on the Sox and will be an All Star soon

On 9/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, Jerry McNertney said:

Yeah!  Get that year of control back!

Not 

On 9/9/2021 at 1:14 PM, Jerry McNertney said:

Next year I would expect AV to be something of a monster with the bat.  This year will work out great for his long-term development.