Can this team just flip the switch come Oct 7?

brijames1957

13 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

Yikes, ok triggy. Hope the Sox win today so they can cheer you up. No one deserves to be THAT mad.

Proof he has zero personal interest in the Sox winning.
He wants them to lose to prove his point and he can feel some sort of happiness on a internet forum.

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

My personal belief is in the Church of Eloy. The disciples of which, now that they have returned, are bashing and mashing.

ji41trxj2q971.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

This is still a ranking of demi-god under the one true religion of the  United Church of Calderonists. Ivan Calderon, may he rest in peace.

• Haha 1

We're all hoping for the team to get healthy, but just when it looks like that will happen, someone else gets hurt. I am concerned about Tim Anderson. Until he gets back on the field and plays like he can play, I will be concerned about him.

The Sox are not going to do poorly in the post season just because they have lost some games to the Royals. But I would feel better if they played some real good baseball during the last ten days to two weeks in the regular season. Just would feel better about it. Playing well and being sharp going into the post season is a good thing. Isn't it?

5 hours ago, DannyWright said:

Look im just telling you not to be surprised if this team gets bounced in the first round. Half the team is injured of in a slump

Our biggest trade acquisition cant consistently do his job ( BTW Heuer has a .090 ERA with the cubs and is under team control )

It starts upstairs-- this team was built to crumble late in the season

Do you recall when you first started feeling this way, Danny?

I am not worried at all, honestly. 

It would be nice to see them playing better right now, but they could also end up wasting a hot streak that could net them 11 wins in the postseason.  I know that might sound like a dumb way to look at things, but oh well.

They have the talent to beat anyone. They just need to make sure that talent is on the field once the postseason starts.  

Their play in September should have no effect on their play in October. 

Edited by Sambuca

44 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

We're all hoping for the team to get healthy, but just when it looks like that will happen, someone else gets hurt. I am concerned about Tim Anderson. Until he gets back on the field and plays like he can play, I will be concerned about him.

The Sox are not going to do poorly in the post season just because they have lost some games to the Royals. But I would feel better if they played some real good baseball during the last ten days to two weeks in the regular season. Just would feel better about it. Playing well and being sharp going into the post season is a good thing. Isn't it?

Playing in a weak division works fine until you have to play someone else. The Tigers won't be in the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

All right, so here's my version of pluses and minuses.

1. A couple weeks ago, we played a game of "name a young team that went on a run in the playoffs" - people named 4 or 5 teams to me, and every single one of them had a strong September record. 5, 6, 7 games over .500 or whatever. So, it's obviously never going to be certain, but there is absolutely some advantage to playing good ball in September, especially with a team that doesn't have a lot of experience.

2. This team currently has the best home record in baseball and a below .500 record on the road. So there's a reason to keep a focus on home field advantage, even if it's just the first series. It's also not just who gets home field advantage for game 5 - Lance Lynn, for example, is 3-6 with a 4.92 ERA in Houston, and is 2-1 with a 3.24 ERA in his home parks against those same Astros. We saw this earlier this year, where Lynn got beaten up in Houston. Start on the road and there's a real risk of coming back home 0-2, and having to win 3 straight against any team is not a situation you want to be in, let alone in the playoffs.

So yeah, there's definitely some motivation to get this team on the right path before the playoffs start. Now on the other side:

1. A lot of guys are coming back from the IL or from skipped starts this week. There's a 6 game homestand right now. Beat up on the Red Sox this weekend, and that would be flipping the switch to me. There are also several series coming against the Tigers, Rangers, and Clevelands. There's no good reason why this team shouldn't be able to finish September with enough wins to at least feel good. 

2. Win some of these games and this team still can pass the Astros. They have some of the same teams as us, including LAA and Texas, but they also have 2 series against the A's and a series against the Rays down the stretch. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

The teams that have won the AL penant in recent years have been discussed as a top two team as the season concluded. Right now we aren't in most people's top 2 in the AL. And as I said before, a strong case can be made that Toronto and the Yankees would be better playoff teams than us. 

" How dare you think rationally and without emotion!!! Youre so negative and are trolling. Youre not a real fan!! "

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

" How dare you think rationally and without emotion!!! Youre so negative and are trolling. Youre not a real fan!! "

That same Yankee team which is proposed to be obviously better than the white Sox just went 4 games against Torotno without ever having the lead once. First time that has happened to the Yankees by anyone in nearly 100 years. 

9 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

"I think Sox are bad because of 2000 prove me wrong" is such a strong rational stance man how could we all misconstrue you for a troll weird 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That same Yankee team which is proposed to be obviously better than the white Sox just went 4 games against Torotno without ever having the lead once. First time that has happened to the Yankees by anyone in nearly 100 years. 

The same Yankees team that has lost 6 straight games, including the first two to Baltimore?  The one that is 2-10 in their last 12 games?

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The same Yankees team that has lost 6 straight games, including the first two to Baltimore?  The one that is 2-10 in their last 12 games?

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

All in the house next door to the House that Ruth built.  Which makes it even more amazing.  Talk about playing a team at the wrong time when we played the Yankees. 

The White Sox can get swept in the first round and not score a run and it will have nothing to do with how they are playing on September 10th. 

14 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

The teams that have won the AL penant in recent years have been discussed as a top two team as the season concluded. Right now we aren't in most people's top 2 in the AL. And as I said before, a strong case can be made that Toronto and the Yankees would be better playoff teams than us. 

This is kind of cloudy with a chance of meatballs. I don't even know what it actually means it's so vague.

How many years is "recent years" and who are "most people" who are doing  the discussing and are the top 2 AL teams being "discussed" the teams with the 2 best records ? And finally was there some kind of fact check involved of the AL pennant winning teams that showed they were discussed the most as a top 2 team by most people in recent years ?

18 hours ago, Sambuca said:

It would be nice to see them playing better right now, but they could also end up wasting a hot streak that could net them 11 wins in the postseason.  I know that might sound like a dumb way to look at things, but oh well.

I am definitely dumb enough for this to make some sense to my weirdo brain.

4 hours ago, The Grinder said:

This appears to be a tale of two teams, Pre All Star and Post All Star. Lets hope come playoffs when the 3rd season kicks in, the pre all star team shows up

They were up 8 games on Cleveland at the AS break. There has been nothing to push them since early July other than home field advantage.