9/9 Sox at A's game thread 2:37 first pitch

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why though?  What would make Gordon Beckham a better analyst if he hit .270 for his career instead of .237?  He played 11 years on major league rosters.   What is he getting with 15 extra hits a season that he doesn't have now?

I don't necessarily think 15 extra hits a season does anything, but if you're a multiple time all-star, you probably understand the game better than a journeyman.

20 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't necessarily think 15 extra hits a season does anything, but if you're a multiple time all-star, you probably understand the game better than a journeyman.

Frank Thomas was TERRIBLE when he first started doing these fill in gigs.  His HOF resume did nothing for his ability to relay that information to fans.  It took him years of practice to get decent at it.  Honestly, I kind of think the opposite is true, when you have to fight for your life for a roster spot, you tend to pick up more of the little things than if you were a star, or a super star.  Look around announcers and managers in baseball.  There are very few star to superstar players doing this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am curious why you connect the two things.

Dear Curious: They are only connected because Gordon is a flop at both but we have been hearing his name for over a decade. There is no reason to feature Gord in Sox media.

They do have a World Series hero waiting in the wings who I think is well-spoken. His name is Scott.

17 hours ago, NWINFan said:

The Sox have lost seven series since the beginning of August. Their run totals in last four losses? 2,1,0.0. Yes, those are pretty much like automatic Ls. Good thing they were able to pick up seven wins against the Cubs and Pirates.

The irony is the Sox made first place with a number of next men up but have faltered with the regulars returning.

3 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I'd say understanding the game and having the physical skills to excel at the game are completely different.

Wouldn't you say managers understand the game well? We've seen many non-all star catchers managing in the big leagues.