9/9 Sox at A's game thread 2:37 first pitch

southsider2k5

Just now, fathom said:

This team deserves to lose these games with this horsecrap approach to competing.   Don’t even consider playing Eloy tomorrow.

How many times have we won the first game in a series, only to lose the last 2 with an absolute horse shit lineup in the last game? It's gotta be more than 5 series since the ASB at this point. 

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

I’ve seen nothing in the second half of the season to suggest this is a title contender.  

I know you watch out of town games every night, too. Houston has looked just as underwhelming as the Sox lately and Pressly seems to be hurt. I don't think there's a juggernaut in the AL, so if the Sox get things together I think they absolutely could be. But it's frustrating to see them punting on an opportunity to get the 2 seed which would boost their WS odds significantly.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Keep punting winnable games, Tony.

I'm sure having to win 3 series on the road to win a ring will go fine.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

This team deserves to lose these games with this horsecrap approach to competing.   Don’t even consider playing Eloy tomorrow.

How long have you guys felt this way?

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I know you watch out of town games every night, too. Houston has looked just as underwhelming as the Sox lately and Pressly seems to be hurt. I don't think there's a juggernaut in the AL, so if the Sox get things together I think they absolutely could be. But it's frustrating to see them punting on an opportunity to get the 2 seed which would boost their WS odds significantly.

Ironically the best team I feel I watch in the AL are the Jays.  No idea how they don’t score 8 runs every game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ironically the best team I feel I watch in the AL are the Jays.  No idea how they don’t score 8 runs every game.

They know how to situationally hit and don't hit into double plays. We're the exact opposite. 

Edit: I read this as the Rays lol. The Jays are a lot like us, they have a bunch of guys on paper who are good but don't put up runs. 

Edited by chw42

Just now, Bossanoveralls said:

How long have you guys felt this way?

I think we all said this is a dangerous approach as soon as they started punting games (at KC might have been first time).  Problem is now you are getting nothing from Vaughn and the offense is in shambles.

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

Then pinch hit Leury who has been very hot hitter lately.

Yeah I was thinking Leury should have pinch hit for Billy. I'm thinking Billy's triple bought him an AB there in Tony's eyes. 

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Fans should remember three months of these lineups when their Sox rep calls to ask for a renewal of season tickets at jacked up prices. With a 16 team playoff, the NBA regular season will hold far more integrity.

You are absolutely right.  In this case, for the Sox mgt. the customer is not always right, and we should vote our displeasure with our pocketbook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They know how to situationally hit and don't hit into double plays. We're the exact opposite. 

Edit: I read this as the Rays lol. The Jays are a lot like us, they have a bunch of guys on paper who are good but don't put up runs. 

I'm very conflicted on what to make of the White Sox offense right now. You and I both know nothing regresses faster than situational hitting/pitching splits. The Sox are 3rd in team wRC+ right now and 6th in runs, so they are objectively doing a lot of very good things.

If/when everyone is healthy, it'll probably be fine... but will that ever happen?

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm very conflicted on what to make of the White Sox offense right now. You and I both know nothing regresses faster than situational hitting/pitching splits. The Sox are 3rd in team wRC+ right now and 6th in runs, so they are objectively doing a lot of very good things.

If/when everyone is healthy, it'll probably be fine... but will that ever happen?

What's funny is that the Rays are first in runs but like 6th in OPS and wRC+. 

It just seems like this team is really bad at situational hitting. Especially recently. Need a fly ball with a guy on third? We always get strikeouts and ground balls right at people. We really like making it hard on ourselves when we have a high probability of scoring runs. I know the sample of guys on third and less than 2 outs is real small, but I fear that our inability to get the job done in those situations is because we're such a high % ground ball hitting team. It's almost burned into our hitting philosophy. 

Edited by chw42

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

You are absolutely right.  In this case, for the Sox mgt. the customer is not always right, and we should vote our displeasure with our pocketbook.

It's the right strategy for the Sox to rest players, with the entire AL Central a debacle. However, with a 16 team playoff, I will be more interested in my rotisserie leagues and not interested in the postseason, even for the Sox.

Baseball was the one sport that a champion was derived solely from league (8-10 team) or division (6-7 team) champions. Adding the wild cards cheapened the sport, at least for me, and I for the most part stopped watching the post-season. It's ridiculous if a team not good enough to win a four or five team division to be crowned "World Champion", for playing 3 games over .500 in October.

With a 16 team playoff, I don't believe I'll follow even if the Sox are playing. Will still follow the regular season games as I have my entire life, and my Rotisserie teams, but an 1 in 16 (may as well make it 18 with a "8 vs. 9 playin game") lotto ball playoff renders the "champion" pretty much a farce. I'm sure many will disagree, and I'm not here to debate the point, just state my feelings. That is why I will celebrate the AL Central title, even though it has been a forgone conclusion since July, because it may be the last season it even matters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It's the right strategy for the Sox to rest players, with the entire AL Central a debacle. However, with a 16 team playoff, I will be more interested in my rotisserie leagues and not interested in the postseason, even for the Sox.

Baseball was the one sport that a champion was derived solely from league (8-10 team) or division (6-7 team) champions. Adding the wild cards cheapened the sport, at least for me, and I for the most part stopped watching the post-season. It's ridiculous if a team not good enough to win a four or five team division to be crowned "World Champion", for playing 3 games over .500 in October.

With a 16 team playoff, I don't believe I'll follow even if the Sox are playing. Will still follow the regular season games as I have my entire life, and my Rotisserie teams, but an 1 in 16 (may as well make it 18 with a "8 vs. 9 playin game") lotto ball playoff renders the "champion" pretty much a farce. I'm sure many will disagree, and I'm not here to debate the point, just state my feelings. That is why I will celebrate the AL Central title, even though it has been a forgone conclusion since July, because it may be the last season it even matters.

I don't think they'll go to 16 teams. At most I think they go to 14.