GT 9/11: BOS @ SOX, 6:10

CentralChamps21

Between the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Astros…the only team we might be able to beat right now would be the Rays.

No confidence in either Kimbrel or TLR.

Grandal has been great offensively but he will invariably let something bad happen on the defensive side to mess everything up.

We really need Anderson’s fire back leading this team.   Getting swept out of the playoffs feels just as likely as advancing to the ALCS.

Just haven’t even felt excited for most Sox games these last six weeks unless we were playing an opponent outside the Central.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Boston's defense won them this game. Verdugo stole at least a double from Goodwin, if not a homer. Bogaerts made 2 great plays in the 8th and 9th innings. Schwarber was positioned perfectly on Yoan's liner that had a .540 xBA in the 9th. And Dalbec made that crazy pick to get Goodwin in the 10th. Tony may have helped, but Boston's defense was probably the reason they came out on top. 

4 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

I really don't know but as frustrating as this loss is (along with a number of them this season), I'm just enjoying watching high leverage baseball after the long drought following the 05 team. 

Fair enough but damn this team is frustrating. Some guys on the team just need to be better, plain and simple. And they definitely need upgrades.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So everyone remember the part where Hamilton was used for a 1 inning replacement in the 8th and then Tony said “oops” and used Sheets in the 9th? Woulda been nice to not do that.

That move made no lick of sense. Romy is not bad enough defensively to warrant being replaced in the 7th. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So everyone remember the part where Hamilton was used for a 1 inning replacement in the 8th and then Tony said “oops” and used Sheets in the 9th? Woulda been nice to not do that.

How many games has TLR cost us this season with his bad moves? I venture to say quite a few.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Then why are we not putting guys out for multiple days on the IL?

You don't put a guy on IL if he is out for a couple of days, As I said Boston didn't out Martinez on IL because he missed yesterday and today, 

There's a reason the Sox haven't been losing any ground in the 2 seed race despite underwhelming baseball the last few weeks. Houston isn't playing well right now either. That's who the Sox will almost certainly be playing in rd1. Maybe the Sox will beat them, maybe they won't, HFA will play a huge role in that series. But no one on Astrostalk would be expressing a ton of coincidence in the Astros beating the Sox right now.

The Sox need to clean it up but every loss on here is treated as definitive proof their flaws are fatal and will sink them in the playoffs. The same could easily be done to the Astros, Rays, Blue Jays, Yankees etc. None of those teams unstoppable juggernauts by any means.

• Thanks 1

What pissed me off about this game more than anything is that we wasted all our best bullpen arms just for Tony to throw Mike Wright in the 10th. There's definitely no Kopech tomorrow. Maybe Bummer can go, but I doubt Kimbrel can go and who knows if Liam is available after he limped off the field after throwing on back to back nights. Also either Grandal or Eloy will end up sitting tomorrow as Seby is definitely going to be catching and I doubt Eloy's knee is going to be outfield ready. Better hope Lynn throws 7 shutout innings. 

• Like 1

The games are frustrating as the Sox coast to the end of the season. We’ll never know what win total they could have maxed out at in the end. Probably 97-100 if they really tried to get there. They don’t care, so I guess we’re just waiting to see what happens Oct 7 and 8 in Houston. 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Boston's defense won them this game. Verdugo stole at least a double from Goodwin, if not a homer. Bogaerts made 2 great plays in the 8th and 9th innings. Schwarber was positioned perfectly on Yoan's liner that had a .540 xBA in the 9th. And Dalbec made that crazy pick to get Goodwin in the 10th. Tony may have helped, but Boston's defense was probably the reason they came out on top. 

Boston is one of the worst defensive teams in AL. They made the plays tonight. I saw them against Tampa last week and they were horrible on bad throws and missed cutoffs, 

Just now, SCCWS said:

Boston is one of the worst defensive teams in AL. They made the plays tonight. I saw them against Tampa last week and they were horrible on bad throws and missed cutoffs, 

Devers also gave us 5 unearned runs tonight. They're not a good defensive team but they do have good defensive players and they came up huge for them tonight. 

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

There's a reason the Sox haven't been losing any ground in the 2 seed race despite underwhelming baseball the last few weeks. Houston isn't playing well right now either. That's who the Sox will almost certainly be playing in rd1. Maybe the Sox will beat them, maybe they won't, HFA will play a huge role in that series. But no one on Astrostalk would be expressing a ton of coincidence in the Astros beating the Sox right now.

The Sox need to clean it up but every loss on here is treated as definitive proof their flaws are fatal and will sink them in the playoffs. The same could easily be done to the Astros, Rays, Blue Jays, Yankees etc. None of those teams unstoppable juggernauts by any means.

Yes, while it was a frustrating loss it tells you nothing about how they will perform in the playoffs.  Best thing I saw tonight was the way Kopech pitched tonight.  If they are going to succeed in the playoffs to me it's a must we have the dominating version of Kopech.

5 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Agree. There is also the Covid factor.They said Boston had their 14th player affected by Covid. Imagine what that is going to do to teams in the playoffs if key players are lost for a week in October

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This game is exactly why getting guys healthy is so important right now.  You just can't be running Leury,  Mendick, Goodwin,  in extras when it matters.

The good news is there are no new injuries in the last 2 days, right?

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What pissed me off about this game more than anything is that we wasted all our best bullpen arms just for Tony to throw Mike Wright in the 10th. There's definitely no Kopech tomorrow. Maybe Bummer can go, but I doubt Kimbrel can go and who knows if Liam is available after he limped off the field after throwing on back to back nights. Also either Grandal or Eloy will end up sitting tomorrow as Seby is definitely going to be catching and I doubt Eloy's knee is going to be outfield ready. Better hope Lynn throws 7 shutout innings. 

Good news is Sale is out