GT 9/11: BOS @ SOX, 6:10

CentralChamps21

Well, this lackadaisical approach to running through the end of the season has made the Sox a pretty tedious watch, in general.  I actually don't sit and watch them much because it aggravates me.  Yeah, resting, games don't matter, yadda, yadda - the age-old back and forth on which is the better approach.  But if getting hot in the playoffs is what matters, it's becoming harder and harder for me to watch this team and envision anything 'hot' turning on for the post-season in a few weeks time.  Cease buried the team tonight - they fought back, but great - we end up with Wright in the 10th?  Say what?  That's when I figure that the manager doesn't want to win this one, for whatever "Hall of Fame Manager" reason, then great - damned if I'm going to care any more - I flipped it off, knowing the outcome was inevitable.

The Sox need to tighten up, start looking like their head is in it, well before the playoffs, so they have a chance to ramp up to post-season form.  Thank God their division is so god-awful!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PDXSOX said:

Well, this lackadaisical approach to running through the end of the season has made the Sox a pretty tedious watch, in general.  I actually don't sit and watch them much because it aggravates me.  Yeah, resting, games don't matter, yadda, yadda - the age-old back and forth on which is the better approach.  But if getting hot in the playoffs is what matters, it's becoming harder and harder for me to watch this team and envision anything 'hot' turning on for the post-season in a few weeks time.  Cease buried the team tonight - they fought back, but great - we end up with Wright in the 10th?  Say what?  That's when I figure that the manager doesn't want to win this one, for whatever "Hall of Fame Manager" reason, then great - damned if I'm going to care any more - I flipped it off, knowing the outcome was inevitable.

The Sox need to tighten up, start looking like their head is in it, well before the playoffs, so they have a chance to ramp up to post-season form.  Thank God their division is so god-awful!

Welcome to Soxtalk :gosoxretro:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PDXSOX said:

I can't imagine the players were all that happy they fought for 9 innings only to see the last guy in the bullpen pitching the 10th. I know he wasn't god awful or anything, but you basically knew going in that Wright was gonna let that Manfred runner score. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I can't imagine the players were all that happy they fought for 9 innings only to see the last guy in the bullpen pitching the 10th. I know he wasn't god awful or anything, but you basically knew going in that Wright was gonna let that Manfred runner score. 

Boston's closer was out w Covid so their 10th inning guy was no stud. Travis Shaw who was hitting sub.200 beat us when Mendick and Goodwin didn't. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'm still shaking my head at that Garcia at bat.  3 pitches.  Mendick is generally not very good although i thought he might put one in play.  Leury's effort was piss poor.

5 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Boston's closer was out w Covid so their 10th inning guy was no stud. Travis Shaw who was hitting sub.200 beat us when Mendick and Goodwin didn't. 

That pitch to Shaw looked to be right in his wheelhouse.

37 minutes ago, PDXSOX said:

I couldn't have put this any better myself. 

40 minutes ago, PDXSOX said:

This is me

This is fucking fantastic and could not say it any better as a die hard sox fan

Thank you!

51 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Can we drop the bipolar pity party bullshit and just move on? It’s baseball. Things like this happen.

Enjoy the ride.

I think the issue is, and I've heard a couple of others state this same thing hear, is it's getting tiresome watching the White Sox seemingly take the attitude of treating so many games as if they're spring training games. Because, I know, they can. They've had this big lead and have kept this big lead despite doing this. And so they've been allowed to keep doing it.  The whole approach is to "be healthy for the playoffs." OK. I hope it works. I've kept track of this, so I can state them, but in the last two months the White Sox have "blown off" at least 8 games. And I'm counting tonight. Having Wright pitch the 10th and Mendick pinch hit, two AA level players in a tight game, is blowing the game off. Too many games of having Goodwin hitting 5th and Zavala and Mendick in the lineup to give guys "rests." But like I said, they can. The lead is still 11 games after blowing off this game tonight and I have a feeling all our scrubeenies will be in the lineup tomorrow as well. So tomorrow will make blowoff game number 9. Now I'm not saying they would have won all those 8 games if they would have played a regular lineup. And I can see doing it sometimes. But are they over doing it? I ask that because this can't become the norm and I'm concerned that since the White Sox are used to playing this way, will they continue to? Once the playoffs start, Zavala, Mendick, Hamilton, and even Garcia, should have ZERO at bats. If Goodwin has to play, (we went cheap in the off season, signing Eaton because we thought he'd be "good enough," and that has blown up in our face now because we don't have a right fielder,) he bats 8th. No higher. 

• Like 1

Vaughn was deemed unavailable for medical reasons before the game. However, even if he was available, dude has hit .146 in his last 30 games and has looked pathetic against pitchers with decent sliders. Anyway Tony said his legs are sore and he could not swing or run so it is a moot point.

The penultimate Closer lost the game. He got tagged.

1 hour ago, PDXSOX said:

Add me to the list of peeps who liked this post. Spot on.

Very disappointed in Cease’s regression. But for everyone saying this team is coasting and will turn up for the playoffs… they were actually TRYING to win this one. Tony continues to make questionable in game decisions and Kimbrel continues to play like horse shit. For as many legit players we have on this team, we sure do have a bunch of triple AAA fodder rounding out the team. 

• Like 2