GT 9/11: BOS @ SOX, 6:10

CentralChamps21

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

A 90 wRC+ for a second basemen is nothing special. He was acquired to be an upgrade on Leury and right now it's looking like a lateral move.

I don't know what to say.  They need a 2nd Baseman and they got one.  He also was surging when they acquired him.  He's now in a slump.  Next year, we can decline his option and get Semien.

Just now, Colome's Hat said:

I don't know what to say.  They need a 2nd Baseman and they got one.  He also was surging when they acquired him.  He's now in a slump.  Next year, we can decline his option and get Semien.

I was on board with the trade. I understand the position you're taking. Honestly, I agree with it. It's just frustrating he's struggling to this extent.

Just now, Colome's Hat said:

That $$ will not be spent.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I was on board with the trade. I understand the position you're taking. Honestly, I agree with it. It's just frustrating he's struggling to this extent.

It is.  But he's still doing great things with his glove.  As an everday player Leury is exposed.  As a utility man, he's one of the best in the business and essential part of any team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Whoever starts at 2b in the playoffs, they outa go with 11 or 12 man pitching staff so they can pinch hit.

With Kopech and Lopez both able to throw multiple innings and never having to play more than 3 days a row in the playoffs, there's no need to keep more than 11 pitchers.

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

That $$ will not be spent.

The 2006 Sox had the 4th highest payroll in baseball. Look at the crowds they've been getting lately. Season ticket demands will be as high or higher than ever. Maybe you're right, but Jerry has spent before *after* the team gave him a reason to.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/topics/payrolls/byYear.asp?Y=2006

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The 2006 Sox had the 4th highest payroll in baseball. Look at the crowds they've been getting lately. Season ticket demands will be as high or higher than ever. Maybe you're right, but Jerry has spent before *after* the team gave him a reason to.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/topics/payrolls/byYear.asp?Y=2006

Yes and he wants a World Series.  And probably is hungry to go out with a possible dynasty.  

8 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Yeah, spending AFTER success isn't the issue, it was spending when the team was garbage. I do think, a good run in the postseason, along with the attendance numbers this year, money will be spent.

I mean, the problem is, assuming Lopez is Picked up now, they’re at $155 million-ish already next year. Before adding any pitching depth, before bringing back or replacing Leury, before finding a RF option or doing something with Engel. There’s probably money, but they’ve already spent a chunk, unless they can dump Kimbrel.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, the problem is, assuming Lopez is Picked up now, they’re at $155 million-ish already next year. Before adding any pitching depth, before bringing back or replacing Leury, before finding a RF option or doing something with Engel. There’s probably money, but they’ve already spent a chunk, unless they can dump Kimbrel.

I would for sure trade Kimbrel. You’re not gonna get close to what you gave up, but $30 mil in the bullpen is a ridiculous way to allocate resources.

I would for sure trade Kimbrel. You’re not gonna get close to what you gave up, but $30 mil in the bullpen is a ridiculous way to allocate resources.

If you get some bidders, you might get a nice haul.

I have no good guesses about how this will go, at least until there is a CBA. Imagine that the $180 million soft cap they just proposed was accepted and the Yankees and Dodgers needed to cut payroll too…who would take Kimbrel on? You’d have to package him with someone to move that. Worst case scenario obviously but illustrative.