I’m bored, just waiting for the post season

Texsox

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I’d like a shorter season and another round of playoffs. Yep, lots more teams would be in post season play. Yes, it slightly diminishes the regular season. 

Sounds like 2020 was a perfect format  for you.

You’ll get a lot more playoffs, and five months of “rest” to enjoy watching if the owners get their way this off-season.

Can take off watching the entire season, like College Basketball, NHL and the NBA and not miss a single thing.

34 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I’d like a shorter season and another round of playoffs. Yep, lots more teams would be in post season play. Yes, it slightly diminishes the regular season. 

I tend to agree, the season is way too long. I'd like the season to start in mid April and end in mid September giving us another round of playoffs. Right now we have too mamy teams playing for absolutely nothing in late September.

40 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sounds like 2020 was a perfect format  for you.

You’ll get a lot more playoffs, and five months of “rest” to enjoy watching if the owners get their way this off-season.

Can take off watching the entire season, like College Basketball, NHL and the NBA and not miss a single thing.

Or something in between. 

by September it’s decided for most teams. 

Just now, Texsox said:

Or something in between. 

Shorter season and more playoff teams will help some, but also the best teams will clinch even earlier. Maybe the higher seed needs more than a 3-2 or 4-3 home advantage in series. Make it 4-1 and 5-2 to give teams who clinch early more incentive to go for a higher seed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Or something in between. 

Seriously look at the drama in the AL right now. Torotno and Seattle have come storming back, the Yankees have been streaky as can be, the Red Sox and As have both fallen back. There are more teams in the race now legitimately than their were in July. Last nights game was a legit playoff game especially for Boston. The White Sox used every decent piece in their bullpen, a couple fluke hits turned into runs, and it wound up as a 1 run game. The weather is still nice, and about the only thing affecting game quality is the damned virus. And the that’s just our league - Cinci and San Diego are somehow tied in the other one and you have the Dodgers trying to catch the Giants. In a 130 game season, there might even be less drama.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Or something in between. 

It would be far worse under the 2020 format.

Seattle would hold a 6 1/2 game lead over Cleveland, the entire playoff race decided in August.

The lone NL “race” would be to see who could win 78-80 between the Mets and Phillies.

I have plenty to savor this season. Next year, regular season games would shift from must listen/watch to can’t wait for baseball to apathy, knowing any and all games are meaningless with a 75-80 wins needed to “earn” a playoff birth.

24 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It would be far worse under the 2020 format.

Seattle would hold a 6 1/2 game lead over Cleveland, the entire playoff race decided in August.

The lone NL “race” would be to see who could win 78-80 between the Mets and Phillies.

I have plenty to savor this season. Next year, regular season games would shift from must listen/watch to can’t wait for baseball to apathy, knowing any and all games are meaningless with a 75-80 wins needed to “earn” a playoff birth.

Under the 2020 format, the top 2 in each division got in, so Cleveland would be fighting Detroit for a playoff spot and Seattle would have to finish better than Oakland or both Toronto and NY/Bos.

I've been watching baseball for 50 odd years, and i can honestly say that i've never been bored with it . i love the game with a passion, and relish the time from the beginning of spring training until the final out of the World Series . i love the defensive part of the game most, and the addition of Robert really piqued my interest...

I've patiently waited my whole adult life for the White Sox to acquire a five tool center fielder that is one of the best in the game . it's always been a passion of mine, great center fielders . i have autographs from some of the games greatest in that position, stemming back to the mid 60's when i met players through my uncle, who was in advertising, and my cousin, a former Chicago sportscaster, who took me to my first Cub game back in 1965 ( my diehard White Sox fan dad, who was recently deceased, would have been appalled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is the first time in the 120 year history of the franchise that they will have made the playoffs in back to back seasons. It's the best teams we have had since the 05 to 08 stretch.  If you can't enjoy this, you are doing it wrong. 

It feels a little more nuanced than that. Alternating wins and losses while the focus is on resting players isn’t exactly thrilling to watch. It’s possible to appreciate the big picture and be excited about the team and playoffs, but still be bored with the loooong wind down of the regular season.

I'm not bored....extremely frustrated at times but not bored.  I'm not really sure I ever expected this to be the year they go deep in the playoffs but I know it could happen.  I can see them beating anyone...unfortunately I can also see them losing to anyone.  Let's see which team shows up come October.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wegner said:

I'm not bored....extremely frustrated at times but not bored.  I'm not really sure I ever expected this to be the year they go deep in the playoffs but I know it could happen.  I can see them beating anyone...unfortunately I can also see them losing to anyone.  Let's see which team shows up come October.

Indeed, though don’t get frustrated with the large lead, more disappointed at times. But I (and most) had a great August / early September watching the team.

• Comeback Game 1 win vs. Cubs
  • Lucas’ domination of the Twins
  • Field of Dreams game / comeback
  • Sox comeback win in Tampa Bay
  • Grandal’s 8 RBI return vs. Cubs
  • The Legend of Leury Game

These were great games even though these all occurred after the division was pretty much wrapped up.

I wouldn’t trade one of those games to add a fourth playoff coin flip series the Sox (or other top teams) need to clear, making it harder for the best teams in baseball to win the World Series.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:33 PM, Marqhead said:

The Sox make the playoffs once a decade, I’m not bored in the slightest. More please. 

First time they've made playoffs back to back seasons ever so it's great.. but it's hard to deny that not playing a meaningful game for 2 months really is kind of boring. I'd almost rather be in a race as crazy as that sounds.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Can you imagine if it were still 154 and straight to the World Series?

It will never go back...but it would still be my preference.  Playoffs are for the owners to make money not to find the best team.  Every game was more important in the good old days.  The teams played all other league teams and the winner went to the WS.  Wild card teams winning the WS just doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It will never go back...but it would still be my preference.  Playoffs are for the owners to make money not to find the best team.  Every game was more important in the good old days.  The teams played all other league teams and the winner went to the WS.  Wild card teams winning the WS just doesn't sit well with me.

Same here.  As well  as all the excessive locker room celebrations after each win.