Vaughn's legs are bothering him

southsider2k5

13 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

So people complain he shouldn’t bat where he bats in the line up, say he cannot hit with RISP, then b**** when he isn’t sent up to hit with RISP. Makes a lot of sense. Give him a break. I do not like Tony LaRussa the human being or manager, but he made the right move keeping him in the dugout.

Couldn't agree more, you can't make this stuff up.  Seriously, how can someone complain about him for weeks (especially his hitting with RISP) and then want him to bat with RISP in extra innings?  Not sure how anyone can't understand that he is a young player that obviously hit a wall in his first MLB season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Couldn't agree more, you can't make this stuff up.  Seriously, how can someone complain about him for weeks (especially his hitting with RISP) and then want him to bat with RISP in extra innings?  Not sure how anyone can't understand that he is a young player that obviously hit a wall in his first MLB season. 

We’re still talking about yesterday? 😆

• Haha 1

A thought I just had.  It seems like either with the last managerial change, or with the training staff change, we aren't getting the kind of medical updates that we used to get.  Like I said I can't be sure which change is the one filtering the information, but it used to seem like guys were typically right on the types of information which were fed to the public.  This year it seems like it is always worse than what we are initially told.  Maybe it is all bad luck in 2021 after the oddities of 2020, but it just feels different lately.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A thought I just had.  It seems like either with the last managerial change, or with the training staff change, we aren't getting the kind of medical updates that we used to get.  Like I said I can't be sure which change is the one filtering the information, but it used to seem like guys were typically right on the types of information which were fed to the public.  This year it seems like it is always worse than what we are initially told.  Maybe it is all bad luck in 2021 after the oddities of 2020, but it just feels different lately.

Has a hockey feel to them this year. 

On 9/12/2021 at 8:49 AM, Balta1701 said:

Option 3: he is too hurt to play in several games in a row and can’t pinch hit against a lefty? Put him on the IL and call up Burger.

I wouldn't mind this. Or if Engel is almost ready? He's played 4 games in AAA now. I am all for rotating some of these guys into "fake'ish" IL stints. We're playing for one game in the ALDS - now it's possibly the biggest game of the season if it's game 5, but that's it. Let's get everybody rested and ready. it's a blank slate come playoffs and you want to have a full arsenal ready to go. 

Vaughn is an important piece and hasn't had a grind of a season like this before. Give him 10 days off and just have him in cryo and hot tubs and massages, etc. recharge and comeback in 10 days.  

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

If I were trying to come up with the vaguest possible “injury” to  provide cover to rest a slumping rookie who sorely needed it, I think “his legs are bothering him” would fit nicely.  

Seriously, I thought everyone was on board with the idea this guy needed some time off.  Here you go. 

Great. Totally understood. Put him on the 10 day IL and call up Burger (or Engel if he's ready). He's already covered 4 days worth of it. 

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Great. Totally understood. Put him on the 10 day IL and call up Burger (or Engel if he's ready). He's already covered 4 days worth of it. 

I mean, I wouldn’t be opposed to that approach either, but maybe they don’t think he needs that much rest.  With the off-day he’ll have had what, four days to clear his head?  Seems reasonable.  And I don’t feel like Jake Burger’s absence was what cost us a sweep of the Red Sox anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I mean, I wouldn’t be opposed to that approach either, but maybe they don’t think he needs that much rest.  With the off-day he’ll have had what, four days to clear his head?  Seems reasonable.  And I don’t feel like Jake Burger’s absence was what cost us a sweep of the Red Sox anyway.

I mean, it wasn't the only thing, but having Mendick as the only remaining RH bat on the bench at a key spot on Saturday sure was a high leverage factor in that loss.

40 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

If I were trying to come up with the vaguest possible “injury” to  provide cover to rest a slumping rookie who sorely needed it, I think “his legs are bothering him” would fit nicely.  

Seriously, I thought everyone was on board with the idea this guy needed some time off.  Here you go. 

Oh I have zero problem with fake IL trips for guys to get them ready.  Its just odd that as these are seemingly happening, they are worse than we expect and not similar or less.

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, it wasn't the only thing, but having Mendick as the only remaining RH bat on the bench at a key spot on Saturday sure was a high leverage factor in that loss.

No it wasn't. Vaughn has been hitting well under the Mendoza line for his last 30+ games and has failed repeatedly during those games in key ta-bats with men on base.

Vaughn may have had a typical rookie slump and/or he is having some issue with his legs. Either way, the best course to take with him is the same as it is with every other player on the White Sox right now - address any injuries or medical issues and give them time off as required so they are ready to perform at the best of their abilities in the playoffs. LaRussa has been doing a great job managing the players and the team and they will be ready for Houston in a couple of weeks.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

No it wasn't. Vaughn has been hitting well under the Mendoza line for his last 30+ games and has failed repeatedly during those games in key ta-bats with men on base.

Vaughn may have had a typical rookie slump and/or he is having some issue with his legs. Either way, the best course to take with him is the same as it is with every other player on the White Sox right now - address any injuries or medical issues and give them time off as required so they are ready to perform at the best of their abilities in the playoffs. LaRussa has been doing a great job managing the players and the team and they will be ready for Houston in a couple of weeks.

So, you're saying he appears exhausted and a 10 day IL stint with Burger called up would make sense? I fully agree.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So, you're saying he appears exhausted and a 10 day IL stint with Burger called up would make sense? I fully agree.

I never said any of that.  I don't know  Vaughn's circumstances but I trust  Andrew Vaughn, the White  Sox trainers , medical staff and Tony LaRussa to make the right decisions as to his availability to play right now.

This is what the Whitesox.com page says:

"The upcoming Angels series sounds hopeful for Vaughn, based on manager Tony La Russa’s comments Sunday.

“He said he started feeling it the last game. Or maybe he was feeling it maybe the second game in Oakland,” La Russa said. “He could post up. He played the outfield, but he's got some issues on both legs.

“He's not available. Wasn't available last night. Not available today. We're discussing right now how soon he will be available, so I'm not sure what the answer is yet." (Last updated: Sept. 12)

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And in literally the least surprising news ever except to a handful of posters here...Vaughn is now put on the 10 day IL.

Sure woulda been nice to do that on Friday/Saturday.

I mean nobody really wants to spike the football on an IL stint

• Thanks 1