Vaughn's legs are bothering him

southsider2k5

Romy Gonzalez is a lot faster than other alternatives for RF.  If Vaughn and Engel can't come back at 100%, Romy might be an option out there.  I have only seem him play a few games but so far he looks like a gamer. What is Getz feeding these guys in the Minors?  This is another player few expected to advance to the major league club and be able to contribute right away.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Romy Gonzalez is a lot faster than other alternatives for RF.  If Vaughn and Engel can't come back at 100%, Romy might be an option out there.  I have only seem him play a few games but so far he looks like a gamer. What is Getz feeding these guys in the Minors?  This is another player few expected to advance to the major league club and be able to contribute right away.

Minor leaguers can come up and play well for a burst. But can they do it for 162 and post season is the difference. 

9 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

No, he was not on the 40 man roster on September 1.

He was called up 0n September 1.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-white-sox-make-six-roster-moves-sept-1-2021

Romy has an unusual combination of power and speed that played well in the Minors. I would start him in RF for a few games and see if he can hit before making any judgments about him.

11 hours ago, tray said:

He was called up 0n September 1.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-white-sox-make-six-roster-moves-sept-1-2021

Romy has an unusual combination of power and speed that played well in the Minors. I would start him in RF for a few games and see if he can hit before making any judgments about him.

I think he had to be on the roster at the beginning of the day September 1.

From mlb.com:

In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

Those on the restricted list at that point are also eligible if they haven't been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs during that season. (All players who have served a suspension for PEDs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.)

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

28 minutes ago, tray said:

The Sox announced roster moves on Sept 1 (like Lamb DFA, bringing up Sheets and Romy).

I wonder if those moves were reflected on the 40 man roster prior to the Aug 31 deadline.

Sheets was already on the 40 man.

September 1 was also the day rosters expanded.

1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

I don't think Romy is particularly fast. He wouldn't have scored from first  the other day with 2outs on that extra base hit to rf had Adolis Garicia thrown to the cutoff to home instead of 2b. Yet, there was STILL a play at the plate. I would guess he runs about as well as Mendick.

78th percentile sprint speed. So not too bad. He did look a little slow on that ball he scored on from first, but keep in mind that Cesar barely made it into 2nd by the time the throw got back into the infield.