GT 9/12: Red Sox @ White Sox

Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

Right on.  It would have been the end of the Goodwin era, and the beginning of Murderous Row. Also a position player contributing every game rather than a reliever coming in every two or three games.

So you really think the Cubs would have traded Bryant to the White Sox?  RH admitted he had to pay a White Sox tax on Kimbrel. Bryant is more beloved.

13 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Kris Bryant was staring them in the face and he would have been a game changing addition for this club. It also wouldn't have taken NEARLY the package the Sox traded away for Kimbrel. Just brutal all the way around.

7 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Right on.  It would have been the end of the Goodwin era, and the beginning of Murderous Row. Also a position player contributing every game rather than a reliever coming in every two or three games.

I hope they go out and get Marte in the offseason. He would be a really good fit for this team with his defense and speed in the outfield. He can also hit extra base hits and steal bases.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Hahn's 'predecessor' was renowned for meatball trades and pickups. It's only anecdotal, but an Oakland A's insider said that they loved dealing with Williams in that the A's always got the better end of the deal.
<----- Not much of a Williams fan, at least as a GM. 

I think unjustified hubris may have been a factor n the Kimbrel trade.

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I hope they go out and get Marte in the offseason. He would be a really good fit for this team with his defense and speed in the outfield. He can also hit extra base hits and steal bases.

I wonder if they are hoping that Cespedes will be ready to push for an OF spot next season?

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Wouldn't Marte cost a 3-4 year contract? Cespedes hasn't been dominating at AA, but this is his first year as a pro and the Sox have a substantial spot invested in him. I'm still thinking he'll be getting innings in RF after the AS break next year.

Hard to argue with the Division lead and the overall record. The sub .500 record in one-run games and on the road not so great though. Good to get two one-run wins this series.
TLR = mixed bag with an awful lot of head scratching decisions through the season.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Thanks 1

Kimbrel is an 8 time All-Star who, at the trade had an ERA of 0.49 and WHIP of .70 while striking out almost 16/per 9. Madrigal was on the DL and out for the season. Heuer showed flashes but hadn't distinguished himself so as to be missed (granted he has performed better in Cub uniform). I don't think Hahn/Williams can be critized for the trade logic. The issue here is Kimbrels performance since coming over. I don't think anyone could have expected he would struggle this badly....certainly not based upon his performance at time of trade. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yeah, it really should go to the most effective pitcher of the game.

To be fair, Liam also received wins after much worse performances, including a win after giving up four runs to the Yankees.

The Sox didn’t give up anything of value for Cesar.

2021 Heuer alone is a regret in a Kimbrel trade, let alone years of control for both. 

Hahn and Tony were really adamant about tossing a lot of money into the bullpen. If they win 1-2 WS, it’s written off as the cost of doing business. If they do not, there could be major regret.

Still have four weeks to right the ship, same with the injured pitchers, Tim, Engel, etc.

I dont think it'll bite them, but pilkington has been pretty lights out since the trade.

Kimbrel strikes again! All you saying the trade will be judged in the playoffs, how can you even trust him to pitch in the playoffs? I sure as hell don’t want him pitching in a hold/save situation since he’s been utter garbage with us. Cool first half bro, but that was with the Cubs and in a different league, he’s been Marshall/Foster level since the trade. 

33F8AD00-B092-4C32-B1C0-B4C31CFB2F72.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I dont think it'll bite them, but pilkington has been pretty lights out since the trade.

Player development. Constant improvement. Cleveland identifies pitching talent and develops them.
Not that the Cubs have been doing much development of pitching, but Heuer remarked on the training gear that the Cubes have available for the pitchers - something that the Sox, for the most part, lack. On the farm maybe it's different, but at the top - not so much.  

18 minutes ago, Flash said:

Kimbrel is an 8 time All-Star who, at the trade had an ERA of 0.49 and WHIP of .70 while striking out almost 16/per 9. Madrigal was on the DL and out for the season. Heuer showed flashes but hadn't distinguished himself so as to be missed (granted he has performed better in Cub uniform). I don't think Hahn/Williams can be critized for the trade logic. The issue here is Kimbrels performance since coming over. I don't think anyone could have expected he would struggle this badly....certainly not based upon his performance at time of trade. 

This is spot on.  The Sox management went and got the best possible available player to fill a hole in the pen where the team had been having major problems with bridge work in the pen.  There is a whole lot of revisionist history based on performance,  but Sox management is trying to win.  The same people who spent years bitching about the Sox being cheap are now upset they weren't. 

Btw, Zambrano was in the stands today. Was a few rows in front of us behind the home dugout.

Shook some hands and took a couple pictures with people but pretty low key. 

He stood when the WS scored the first run in the 6th but did not clap or say anything, fwiw.

Edited by Maverick0984

2 hours ago, hankchifan said:

It was a terrible trade giving up two young stars including a first rounder for a 32 yr old guy that we did not need.  We already had a Hendriks.  Hahn screwed up big time.

Shhhhh tired old nags

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is spot on.  The Sox management went and got the best possible available player to fill a hole in the pen where the team had been having major problems with bridge work in the pen.  There is a whole lot of revisionist history based on performance,  but Sox management is trying to win.  The same people who spent years bitching about the Sox being cheap are now upset they weren't. 

Revisionist history? We discussed this the day they made the trade there was way too much risk for a guy who had been inconsistent and not what he once was.. and that trading for a guy at his absolute peak value was a terrible decision. Just because the media told you they got the best player available doesn't make it true.  This was bad process since day 1. No one pays their 8th inning guy 18 million and gives up assets to do so.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 2