Corbin Burnes Trade Discussion Redeux

Flash

A bit juvenile of me but it was fun reviewing preseason posts about possible (Food Guys) trade for Burnes and hypothetical players we might send. Not gonna name names but several on this Board were opposed to even considering including names like Kelley, Madrigal, Steiver, Heuer, Vaughn and, God forbid, Jimenez. I recall spirited debate as to who is the better pitcher, Burnes or Giolito. Sorry for being so trivial but just wanted to drive a final stake into the whole 'Burnes relative value' discussion.

Where Corbin Burnes now ranks in baseball among qualified pitchers:
fWAR: 1st (7.1)
ERA: 1st (2.25)
FIP: 1st (1.50) xERA: 1st (1.89) xFIP: 1st (2.30)
SIERA: 1st (2.59)
K-BB%: 1st (30.5)
HR/9: 1st (0.30)
Barrel rate: 1st (2.6)
K%: 1st-t (35.4)

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Why would the Brewers trade him, they are trying to win?

Burnes would cost a ton, at least two top100 prospects with one of them top20. 

The Brewers were seeking a starting second baseman, and Heuer would have been a key set up man this season, so both teams would have benefited this season.

Plus many thought the Cardinals were a lock after acquiring Arenado, not sure what the Brewers’ FO felt heading into this season.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

20 hours ago, chw42 said:

What's interesting is that the 2 guys rumored to go were Heuer and Madrigal. And then we actually ended up trading them for Kimbrel. 

Which makes me think there was more smoke than maybe we knew. Or it could've been as simple as the Sox haven't been as high on those two and were willing to use them as bait. We could've offered those two to the Brewers and they laughed us off. 

The other thing I forget though - when was this rumor out there? A lot of things couldve led to us not resigning Rodon, which would've sent this season in a whole direction. 

11 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Now talk about how we could have traded Leury Garcia/Matt Foster for Max Scherzer, Trea Turner and Juan Soto and blew that!

I have always wondered if we could have gotten Soto instead of Lopez... Or even Dunning.  OUCH! I don't think i wanna know LOL

17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not gonna do any of this but I do wonder why he is yelling at all of us with the caps large font

Third word in the post is "juvenile."

But I went back and looked at what the ask was according to Reddit Insider Man: It was Madrigal, Heuer, Stiever, Thompson and then the Brewers came back asking for Crochet.

Also worth noting Rodon hadn't resigned, so you're not replacing Keuchel in the rotation, you're replacing Rodon. You're swapping in Burnes for Rodon, Mendick for Madrigal way earlier, I guess ReyLo for Heuer (and who knows which ReyLo that is. I don't know if Charlotte was good or bad for him), and...Mike Wright/Kyle Crick for Crochet?

If it was just Madrigal, Heuer and minor leaguers + you could keep Rodon and jettison Keuchel, by all means, do that all day every day. But it's not a vacuum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not gonna do any of this but I do wonder why he is yelling at all of us with the caps large font

Not sure why anyone should care about larger than normal font size. I don't feel yelled at . I appreciate the effort to reduce eye strain.

44 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't know what the old thread was but there were a bunch of people basically saying Burnes sucks. 

Not sucks necessarily the way I remember it but more like not established enough to give up so much . Others believed he was going to be great.

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not sure why anyone should care about larger than normal font size. I don't feel yelled at . I appreciate the effort to reduce eye strain.

Not sucks necessarily the way I remember it but more like not established enough to give up so much . Others believed he was going to be great.

Man there you go again belaboring my point 

• Like 1

• Quin locked, unlocked, locked and unlocked this topic