Corbin Burnes Trade Discussion Redeux

Flash

There were a lot of wrong people saying just spend the money for a starting pitcher especially Garrett Richards rather than trade for Burnes.

Back in January  the Sox had basically spent all their money and only had around $8M left to spend which turned out to be true. From 1/20/21 on ( the height of the Burnes speculation) all the Sox did was sign a bunch of people to minor league contracts including Lucroy and sign Rodon (2/1/21).

I had said if the Brewers wanted Crochet I would ve been fine with that . Had we traded for Burnes, the Sox still may have resigned Rodon. Imagine this years and future staffs if that had happened. I actually brought Crochet's name up before the speculation that the Brewers wanted to swap out Stievers  for Crochet in the list of prospects headed back to Milwaukee.

There were also a ton of people who said you don't give up so many prospects for a guy who hadn't proven anything yet. I'm sure many of those would still stick to that argument despite Burnes season this year. Those people are not GM types. A good GM has to risk signing young talent before it becomes expensive and if you wouldn't take that risk for Burnes I don't know who they would actually trade for when there was an immediate need for a high quality cost controlled starting pitcher. The Sox obviously took a risk that Rodon could pitch 150 innings so thinking Burnes couldn't do that too didn't seem like much of a concern. Cease has also basically went from about the same amount of innings as Burnes last year and is also over 150 IP. Cease is right near the age that Burnes is and his progress this year bodes well for good things from him very soon.

In retrospect, we still have only a few of those prospects left now with Madigal and Heuer gone for Kimbrel. We can never be sure if adding Crochet would've got that deal done . I have reread the whole old thread and it does seem that there were legitimate trade talks between the Brewers and Sox for Burnes. Just how far they actually got is another story.

• Like 1

• Quin locked, unlocked, locked and unlocked this topic