Popeye Rodriguez promoted to AA

maxjusttyped

8 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Great for Jose! Any way to skip AA so he doesn't have to play in the hitters' graveyard next year? 

Birmingham has by far our best coaching staff and is probably the best prove it grounds. I'm excited for him to show off there. Charlotte has basically just been a holding pattern for our players after they have proven it in AA.

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

Granted I suck at soxmath but how does he have the following  scouting grades and not have an overall score of 50? 

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

If I had to take a stab at it, maybe it's because  the scouts putting those grades together think he can't put it all together? Kind of like a less than the sum of his parts scenario.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

If I had to take a stab at it, maybe it's because  the scouts putting those grades together think he can't put it all together? Kind of like a less than the sum of his parts scenario.

Thanks.  It is Puzzling.  Well he seems like a fantastic return on what I believe was an intial $50,000 investment.  I hope to see him on the Southside in a couple or few years.  Congratulations to Jose.

If they're using OFP (overall future potential) the scout gets a couple points either way for scout feel which is essentially makeup.  He thinks the player has a higher or lower chance of reaching his potential because of his feel/instincts, work ethic, desire, coachability, etc.  5 points is an entire role so I would question the tool grades on this one. 

33 minutes ago, wegner said:

Granted I suck at soxmath but how does he have the following  scouting grades and not have an overall score of 50? 

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Are these mlb pipeline grades? Because if so who cares, they have roughly 6 million players at a 45. It means “not ranked by other publications so we don’t want to stand out, will put him at the score nobody will punish/praise us for”

9 hours ago, wegner said:

Interestingly fangraphs gives him a 60 hit (but only 40 power). 

I like his low k rate and I think there could be more like 45-50 power. 

Slight downside is that he seems to be allergic to walks but if he can hit 275 with 15-20 homers that plays in the middle infield 

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Slight exaggeration?  How many games left?

I'm assuming he meant it is huge for the org that they found and developed a SS that made a mockery of A+ at such a young age. 

It is pretty huge for the farm system. They needed a guy like this.

Edited by ron883

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

I'm assuming he meant it is huge for the org that they found and developed a SS that made a mockery of A+ at such a young age. 

It is pretty huge for the farm system. They needed a guy like this.

Makes sense.

I wonder what Popeye's winter ball plans are.  And, is he one of Paddy's signees?

36 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Not sure why our guy Popeye should be ranked below Canario of the Cubs.  Canario is the guy Cubs got for Kris Bryant, but I like Popeye better, tho, of course, I haven't seen either one of them.

I feel like at this point he'll never be highly rated, but I think he has as good a chance as any of the infielders in the top 50-150 of getting to big leagues and being a starter at this point. 

• 4 weeks later...