Gio back, Collins up, Mendick and Seby down

SouthSideGeorgia

23 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Oh that’s right, I forgot about that. It’s possible that it may be Mike Wright than but TLR likes to have as many options in the bullpen as possible so I don’t think it will be him but we should find out hopefully today. 

I think Mike Wright exists as a long man to suck up innings they don't want to waste on an arm they care about for the post season.

thank god playoffs are returning to all their travel/off days with this team. i have squarely been in the "it's only a backup catcher" camp all season. and i was wrong. 

those extra off days really tip the scales to our type of team ... we have three really top SP who should benefit, and we have Yasmani who now only has to basically play 2 days in a row, at least through the first series. 

Tony said earlier this month they were going with three catchers. Still possible next weekend for the five game series in Cleveland, but this is perhaps a good sign regarding Grandal’s ability to catch the rest of the season.

The few times Tony appeared animated/upset are when he was “ignored” by rookies (Yermin and Seby) or for “unwritten rule violations” (Yermin, shoved Guardians catcher (Perez) after Jose was hit).

I was really excited when the Sox hired a catching instructor, as the Sox have desperately needed to develop catchers (Narvaez & Olivo improved after leaving). Perhaps it’s just poor raw materials at this point, but the Sox need to invest in catcher development, either Jerry is able to help develop young catchers or they bring someone in who can do the job. Flowers and Karkovice were the last catchers they developed that stuck at the ML level over the past four decades.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

thank god playoffs are returning to all their travel/off days with this team. i have squarely been in the "it's only a backup catcher" camp all season. and i was wrong. 

those extra off days really tip the scales to our type of team ... we have three really top SP who should benefit, and we have Yasmani who now only has to basically play 2 days in a row, at least through the first series. 

Yeah whoever they go with as backup catcher on the roster should not get any at bats (unless Yaz gets injured of course).

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Well, someone has to be the 2nd catcher. Since there is zero confidence in either of them offensively, I guess it boils down to which guy the pitchers prefer throwing to.

Yea i think Seby lost his chance with all the passed balls. Just can't have that in crucial games especially late. Collins sucks but fingers crossed we never see the backup catcher in October

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What is interesting is Romy is now apparently ahead of Mendick with the White Sox people who decide such things. 

With Leury OK and sliding back to down to his utility role, the need for a guy who plays defensively up the middle isn't as great, so its a good time to audition the kid.  Heck Romy might be doing Leury's job next year.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The Seby 4-4 , 3 HR game might be the biggest outlier game in MLB history. What are the odds? He's a .146 hitter without that game on the season, under .140 for the career. with a k-rate approaching 50%. He is basically a pitcher hitting.

And a home run to every field lol

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The Seby 4-4 , 3 HR game might be the biggest outlier game in MLB history. What are the odds? He's a .146 hitter without that game on the season, under .140 for the career. with a k-rate approaching 50%. He is basically a pitcher hitting.

Absolutely. And the worst part for Seby (and for us) was that the Sox didn't even win that game. 

But Seby absolutely contributed to the Field of Dreams win, and I will never forget that.  Even bigger than the home run was the base on balls he worked before Timmy. Such a huge at bat.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

With Leury OK and sliding back to down to his utility role, the need for a guy who plays defensively up the middle isn't as great, so its a good time to audition the kid.  Heck Romy might be doing Leury's job next year.

Doesn't Romy have more ability to play the OF than Mendick?

12 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Collins has had numerous chances and failed miserably a bust of a first round pick. Collins would not play almost anywhere else in league, he would clear waivers no problem.

He probably wouldn’t clear waivers actually. In fact, a bunch of team would Take a chance on a guy with his profile and cheap no strings attached control . 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He probably wouldn’t clear waivers actually. In fact, a bunch of team would Take a chance on a guy with his profile and cheap no strings attached control . 

29 other teams would claim him.  I don't think people appreciate exactly how bad and thin real life catching talent is around MLB.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soxfest said:

Collins has had numerous chances and failed miserably a bust of a first round pick. Collins would not play almost anywhere else in league, he would clear waivers no problem.

Except Zavala is terrible and Sox catchers have trouble with breaking balls especially Sebz.