SouthSideGeorgia

Gio back, Collins up, Mendick and Seby down

Given budget constraints, I wonder if Carlos Perez isn't the back up catcher next year.

18 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well I think they thought that Zavala was more useful. Now they're bringing back Collins because Seby stinks too and it preserves Collins' option status and makes him much easier to trade this offseason

I can't see Seby or Collins being back-up catcher for the team next season, the drop off in quality in defence and offence between Grandal and both of them is too great, and there is not much sign that either is likely to improve much.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:44 AM, oldsox said:

So what is the probability that Sox will sign a veteran catcher in off season?

100%. Yan Gomes

8 minutes ago, zisk said:

100%. Yan Gomes

Depending on what what they spend replacing Kopech's spot in the pen (Kopech slides into rotation), the hole in RF, and hole at 2B, I think it may be Carlos Perez.

16 minutes ago, zisk said:

100%. Yan Gomes

I think Gomes can probably still get starter money and preference from another team

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think Gomes can probably still get starter money and preference from another team

What is “starter money” for a catcher? His contract with the Nats was 2/$10 and he’s making $6 million this year. Is that untenable for this team? Both of the Astros catchers are earning about $3.5 million this year. Starter money for a catcher isn’t a lot.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What is “starter money” for a catcher? His contract with the Nats was 2/$10 and he’s making $6 million this year. Is that untenable for this team? Both of the Astros catchers are earning about $3.5 million this year. Starter money for a catcher isn’t a lot.

It may not be a lot but he can still get more playing time somewhere else.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

It's more about being the starter IMO.  I'm not talking about what I would feel would be acceptable for the Sox to spend, im talking about what Gomes wants to do, which is probably get the bulk of the starts wherever he plays 

if they can convince him to back up Yas, i would be all for it