The Sox can beat anyone. They can also lose to anyone.

VAfan

I've been thinking about putting up a post with this title for some time.  There isn't going to be a lot of analysis in it.  

I just want to put it out there that if the Sox are on their game, they can be the best team in baseball. 

The top-six in their lineup -- Anderson, Robert, Abreu, Grandal, Jimenez, and Moncada -- can play with anyone, including the Rays and Jays and anyone else if they are on.  Right now, only Robert and Grandal are truly on.  And their bottom 3 can still do damage, with Vaughn, Engel, Hernandez, Sheets, Garcia, Goodwin as options.  They have power, can draw walks, get hits, can score with and without the long ball, and have speed that hasn't been fully utilized to save wear and tear.  

Their rotation includes 2 Cy Young favorites in Lynn and Rodon, and staff "ace" Lucas Giolito who seems like the kind of pitcher to come up big the bigger the game.  Regardless of how they handle the 4th spot, having 3 aces should be enough.  Assuming the bullpen holds up.  They also have starters who have pitched some fantastic games in Cease and Lopez.  

The bullpen could also be lights out with Hendriks, Kimbrel (if he can get his act together), Bummer, Kopech, Crochet, and even Lopez.  Maybe Cease if he's not used to start?  

Each of these groups -- offense, starters, and bullpen -- can be top notch.  But all three can and have imploded.

We just aren't going to know which version will take the field until October.  It's gonna be a crapshoot.  

29 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I've been thinking about putting up a post with this title for some time.  There isn't going to be a lot of analysis in it.  

I just want to put it out there that if the Sox are on their game, they can be the best team in baseball. 

The top-six in their lineup -- Anderson, Robert, Abreu, Grandal, Jimenez, and Moncada -- can play with anyone, including the Rays and Jays and anyone else if they are on.  Right now, only Robert and Grandal are truly on.  And their bottom 3 can still do damage, with Vaughn, Engel, Hernandez, Sheets, Garcia, Goodwin as options.  They have power, can draw walks, get hits, can score with and without the long ball, and have speed that hasn't been fully utilized to save wear and tear.  

Their rotation includes 2 Cy Young favorites in Lynn and Rodon, and staff "ace" Lucas Giolito who seems like the kind of pitcher to come up big the bigger the game.  Regardless of how they handle the 4th spot, having 3 aces should be enough.  Assuming the bullpen holds up.  They also have starters who have pitched some fantastic games in Cease and Lopez.  

The bullpen could also be lights out with Hendriks, Kimbrel (if he can get his act together), Bummer, Kopech, Crochet, and even Lopez.  Maybe Cease if he's not used to start?  

Each of these groups -- offense, starters, and bullpen -- can be top notch.  But all three can and have imploded.

We just aren't going to know which version will take the field until October.  It's gonna be a crapshoot.  

They are day to day, as are we all.

• Love 1

I have had a feeling for awhile that if the Sox make it out of the 1st round, they will win the American League pennant.  No idea if they can beat whoever comes out of the NL but I'd sure like to see them try.  It is exciting to be able to see playoff baseball on the Southside for the 2nd year in a row.

This really has been a crazy year with all the injuries.  This is just the first year of the window...if they win it all this season, terrific...but they should be set for awhile. 

The title of this thread is right on. Of course, baseball is the hardest thing to predict since any team can win or lose on any day for all kinds of reasons. When I look at this year's team, there are times I think they can dominate anyone. Other times, I just wonder, especially what that offense goes dormant or another multi-run lead is blown in the late innings. I have no idea what they will do in the playoffs. I am just glad they are going to the playoffs. 

Sox need

-relief pitchers to get the job done

-hitters to hit with RISP

-hitters to hit HR's

If the Sox relievers pitch like they can and the offense has some combination of hitting with RISP & power then they are right up there with anyone other than the Dodgers for highest chances. Vegas have the Sox with the third highest WS odds for a reason. 

EDIT: I get it's a lot of IF's but same for every other team. Timing is everything and we're getting very close to fully healthy (fingers crossed)

Edited by raBBit

I'm not the biggest Engel fan but he will be a welcomed addition come playoff time. IMO, the most underrated key to this thing, especially with his glove in RF.

And it's amazing how far along names in the DH spot is now. I remember most had Mercedes penciled in months ago if the Sox made the playoffs. Now it's Vaughn/Sheets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VAfan said:

Good analysis.  The team now on the field, at pretty much full strength is more likely to win games, than the lineup without Robert, Eloy, Grandal and lately TA.  We should be a juggernaut into the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Lol.  It’s the Sox vs the 9 perfect teams for the title

Well that is why the baseball playoffs are tough. You have loaded lineups and loaded pitching staffs across the board. Toronto has a lethal pitching staff as a wild card, Boston has Sale, and the Yankees have Cole. Gonna be tough for any team to see those two twice in a short series. 

I have been a Sox fan for 49 years. Winning the Division and making the playoffs are a really big deal for this ball club. It doesn't happen that often. I have learned to enjoy the journey as much as the destination. This season has been a great journey so far. There is no way to predict what will happen in the playoffs. I just hope the team is as healthy as they can be and i will enjoy every minute of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, brijames1957 said:

I have been a Sox fan for 49 years. Winning the Division and making the playoffs are a really big deal for this ball club. It doesn't happen that often. I have learned to enjoy the journey as much as the destination. This season has been a great journey so far. There is no way to predict what will happen in the playoffs. I just hope the team is as healthy as they can be and i will enjoy every minute of it.

How dare you express a coherent thought of reason on this place riddled with bipolar doomsday willynillies?