9/15 GT: Angels @ White Sox, 7:10

Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

This stuff about LaRussa’s management style  is getting real irritating. We need to win the division not go 162-0. 

I would take Francona or Bochy in a heartbeat.

For all the talk about Hinch, he's done a solid job getting the most out of an offense-less Tigers team as well...don't think anyone expected them to be competitive as early as 2022.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The ONE hope I have (and that goes along with Rodon's health) is the White Sox break through with playoff success early in their competitive window, this year.

It happened with the Cubs, Royals and Astros.

The Red Sox and Dodgers were the only teams that didn't fit that trend, but their mega-budgets don't make comparisons with the White Sox as useful anyway.

But TLR's managing and the bullpen have to scare the heck out of everyone, even the most optimistic fans.

Someone like Luis Robert is just going to have to carry the team, Grandal, Anderson, Eloy, etc.   Can't count on Abreu, he has done it for too long and too consistently.  Vaughn disappearing (as well as hurting) down the stretch isn't helping to boost that optimism much, either.

Cubs, Royals, and Stros were clearly one the best teams when they won it all. That we are not yet. We are probably 6th or 7th right now. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You're probably right, but man that was the spot for one. No reason Hamilton is on the roster if he's not running there.

TLR station to station baseball is one of the reasons we don’t win one run games.  If we don’t hit a homer we generally lose.  No attempt at putting runners in motion, no hit and runs, not putting pressure on the defense or opening holes in the opposing infield.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I respect that and yes, it would be a huge blunder if they have to salary dump him.  Not that I like Madrigal, but you have to think they could have got something more valuable under control.

He was 3rd amongst AL 2B in WAR when he got injured and his bat was improving. There is zero question whether that plays, I'm sorry. Maybe if they're convinced he can't stay healthy, but you can't push a major trade chip in like that for a reliever. I don't care how good he is.

Bryant was the best player traded at the deadline and it was for a package the Sox could have easily exceeded. It also wouldn't have cost them Madrigal. Not pushing harder for him was an egregious mistake in the moment.

• Like 2

Just now, hankchifan said:

TLR station to station baseball is one of the reasons we don’t win one run games.  If we don’t hit a homer we generally lose.  No attempt at putting runners in motion, no hit and runs, not putting pressure on the defense or opening holes in the opposing infield.

I actually disagree with that, I think a lot of the reason they lose so many one run games is that LaRussa doesn't put guys in a very good position to succeed, particularly with the bullpen. There's lots of times I prefer "station to station baseball". I can't remember the last time I was saying "Someone should be stealing right now", it's been months. This was just such an obvious spot though...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I really don't understand why Tim couldn't take an at bat in the ninth. This team isn't very good on the road. I have no idea why they've decided to coast into the playoffs and not push for home field.

TLR never pinch hits with players that have the day off. Total “rest”.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Cubs, Royals, and Stros were clearly one the best teams when they won it all. That we are not yet. We are probably 6th or 7th right now. 

And therein lies the danger of not being at the top but "pretty/really good," especially with Rodon likely leaving and Lynn getting older/more injury prone.

We're either going to hit a payroll ceiling...or we're going to have to keep coming up with unexpected performances from guys like Yermin/Goodwin/Hamilton/Rodon.  Hard to bank on that happening every single season, unless you're a team like the Dodgers spending in the $250 million range.

And ramping the payroll up to compete quickly can backfire too, or making trade after trade after trade...like the Padres have done.   If they held on to Quantrill, Patino and even Lauer, they might have ended up better off.  We'll see what happens with Clevinger, Snell, Lamet, Darvish and Gore next season.

As Fathom noted, they've turned into dead team walking and Tingler will definitely be gone if they miss the playoffs and likely if they lose the WC Game to SF.  (Although I'm sure Preller will keep repeating injuries, injuries, injuries as his off-season mantra, attempting to deflect blame from himself.)

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

He was 3rd amongst AL 2B in WAR when he got injured and his bat was improving. There is zero question whether that plays, I'm sorry. Maybe if they're convinced he can't stay healthy, but you can't push a major trade chip in like that for a reliever. I don't care how good he is.

Bryant was the best player traded at the deadline and it was for a package the Sox could have easily exceeded. It also wouldn't have cost them Madrigal. Not pushing harder for him was an egregious mistake in the moment.

On paper I still liked the concept...but I wasn't knowledgeable enough about him to understand he would be an awful fit with our catchers and perhaps pitching coach. They aren't able to use his best weapon, the offspeed stuff, if anyone gets on base, because the catchers can't block it, so he's throwing more fastballs and players expect them. I didin't see that coming at all, but then again I'm not paid for this.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think anyone wants to hear you sticking up for Goodwin. I thought of saying the exact same thing but  even with that big positive . He's basically in the Kimbrel, Hernandez, Wright kennel.

Goodwin was better than he was given credit for most of the season, but it's not happening for him anymore. There's a reason he was available for the Sox to sign in May. He's not good enough for this team anymore.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think anyone wants to hear you sticking up for Goodwin. I thought of saying the exact same thing but  even with that big positive . He's basically in the Kimbrel, Hernandez, Wright kennel.

Cesar and kimbrel have done almost nothing positive. Goodwin has been fine when put in position to succeed.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Goodwin was better than he was given credit for most of the season, but it's not happening for him anymore. There's a reason he was available for the Sox to sign in May. He's not good enough for this team anymore.

Goodwin is actually hitting .316 with a .435 OBP so far this month, prior to this game I assume. He only hit .188 in August, but hit 3 home runs and had a .644 OPS, which isn't terrible for his worst month of the year.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

His defense has been terrible all season.  Not making contact in the 9 th with the tying run at 3rd and one out dropped his stock even more.  I still say he is a AAA caliber player.

Just now, elrockinMT said:

So being overly negative and pessimistic is more the style we should support? 

Why do you need to be extreme in either direction? How about using logic and forming a fair opinion? The numbers show Keuchel has been awful all year. It's easy to see by watching him, too. This isn't controversial or overly pessimistic. It is what it is. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Cesar and kimbrel have done almost nothing positive. Goodwin has been fine when put in position to succeed.

Doesn’t make any sense putting +Cesar a Gold Glove winner, and  Kimbrel anAll star closer in the same category as Goodwin, who is a AAA caliber player and a really bad defensive outfielder.

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Who the fuck cares about experience if you’re a shell of your former self?  

Though he pitched well tonight and a couple other starts, would agree with this overall assessment.

Cues walkup music.

17 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Steve Stone who shills for the team co-signs (the Sox are good, not great). There is no magic "switch". So hitters (especially Eloy) and pitchers (Lucas) need to regain their top form and quick, or they will be getting a lot of rest this October.