9/15 GT: Angels @ White Sox, 7:10

Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Though he pitched well tonight and a couple other starts, would agree with this overall assessment.

Cues walkup music.

Steve Stone who shills for the team co-signs (the Sox are good, not great). There is no magic "switch". So hitters (especially Eloy) and pitchers (Lucas) need to regain their top form and quick, or they will be getting a lot of rest this October. 

I think the current Sox full strength lineup could be considered more than good, actually closer to great.

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I actually disagree with that, I think a lot of the reason they lose so many one run games is that LaRussa doesn't put guys in a very good position to succeed, particularly with the bullpen. There's lots of times I prefer "station to station baseball". I can't remember the last time I was saying "Someone should be stealing right now", it's been months. This was just such an obvious spot though...

You never wished that we hit and run anytime with Abreu at bat, and then watch another rally killing double play?

47 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Goodwin was better than he was given credit for most of the season, but it's not happening for him anymore. There's a reason he was available for the Sox to sign in May. He's not good enough for this team anymore.

When you hit pretty damn well against RHP (aka the strong side of a platoon) it's really hard to dump a guy like that.

On the weak side of the platoon you have Vaughn, who has the same FWAR as Goodwin in way more AB's, and his numbers against LHP are slightly better (165 wRC+ vs 140 wRC+) than Goodwin's against RHP. Then you throw in Sheets who has 9 HR's against RHP which is 2 more than Vaughn has in less than half the AB's.

So you have 2 guys who hit better than Vaughn from the strong side . Vaughn may play better D, which is kind of debatable ,so who stays and who goes for the playoffs ?

I have no idea what is going to happen and I wouldn't want to have to choose. Throw in Engel who can't stay on the field and maybe they just go with him in RF for the playoffs. Then it's a question of who do you have DH , the guys who hit well from the strong side or the guy who hits better from the weak side ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

You are both right. Madrigal would have made contact and bring in the  runner from third with less than 2 outs.  Will be missing him.

11 strikeouts tonight. Very boring and very sad what modern day baseball has become. The home run throughout history has been great, but this new brand of baseball in which ALMOST everyone tries to hit a home run or strikeout really truly is ruining the great game. So only guys with almost no reasonable expectation of a home run (a guy as short as Madrigal) try to hit singles. At least Moncada stroked that single to left when it appeared Sox might actually rally the old way. Not to be.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I know that many fans think a player should never have even one bad game let alone a stretch of poor games. You have a short memory 

You must only be remembering 2020, sure he was serviceable for the first two months of this season, but his mid 5 era would indicate he’s been bad this year for more than a “stretch”.

38 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Why do you need to be extreme in either direction? How about using logic and forming a fair opinion? The numbers show Keuchel has been awful all year. It's easy to see by watching him, too. This isn't controversial or overly pessimistic. It is what it is. 

He hasn't been horrible all year though.  He looked good May through the first half of June.  It's been pretty bad since though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Sorry for the late response. Thought I heard Kasper say Cease was pitching Friday, Lynn on Saturday and Gio on Sunday.

Oh you're right. I thought I saw Rodon on Friday somewhere earlier. Just checked and it's Cease. 

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Can't blame Dallas for this one....only scoring 2 runs when you have 9 hits is not gonna get it done.

Win the series tomorrow behind Lopez.

2 runs in 6 is good and should have given the offense a chance to win it but 5 walks is really extremely high, there is something seriously wrong with his control. 

6 hours ago, hankchifan said:

You never wished that we hit and run anytime with Abreu at bat, and then watch another rally killing double play?

Honestly, almost never. I see Abreu come up with a runner on first and think  that he’s about to do damage, even when I’m wrong. I think of the chances of the guy getting thrown out, and then I think of how they won’t give Abreu anything hittable if first base is open. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

When you hit pretty damn well against RHP (aka the strong side of a platoon) it's really hard to dump a guy like that.

On the weak side of the platoon you have Vaughn, who has the same FWAR as Goodwin in way more AB's, and his numbers against LHP are slightly better (165 wRC+ vs 140 wRC+) than Goodwin's against RHP. Then you throw in Sheets who has 9 HR's against RHP which is 2 more than Vaughn has in less than half the AB's.

So you have 2 guys who hit better than Vaughn from the strong side . Vaughn may play better D, which is kind of debatable ,so who stays and who goes for the playoffs ?

I have no idea what is going to happen and I wouldn't want to have to choose. Throw in Engel who can't stay on the field and maybe they just go with him in RF for the playoffs. Then it's a question of who do you have DH , the guys who hit well from the strong side or the guy who hits better from the weak side ?

I’ll say this, if Hamilton can’t steal a base even if people know it’s coming, he can be eliminated from that list of options.

8 hours ago, hankchifan said:

I think the current Sox full strength lineup could be considered more than good, actually closer to great.

I agree but the record speaks for itself, they're not playing great, a few games over .500 since the All Star break. 

There's something missing, seems like they're not overly motivated, maybe because they've never really been pressed by Cleveland or had a crucial series in the second half or it could be the manager is having trouble motivating these guys.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

God knows what will happen in the playoffs, we either get wiped out by the Astros or make it to the ALCS and fall short...

Or win the ALCS and fall short in WS. Or win the ALCS and win the World Series. Or forfeit every game because of Covid outbreak. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly, almost never. I see Abreu come up with a runner on first and think  that he’s about to do damage, even when I’m wrong. I think of the chances of the guy getting thrown out, and then I think of how they won’t give Abreu anything hittable if first base is open. 

Abreu is a horrible guy to hit and run with. These losses have nothing to do with not putting guys in motion or hitting into double plays. They have everything to do with not trying to win 100% each day. I get it, we're resting guys but we're also throwing away HFA against the Astros. There's no guarantee anybody makes it to the playoffs healthy.  For all we know TA could blow out his hamstring sprinting to 1st in his first AB of the series because he's not in everyday playing condition anymore.

This is pissing me off, obviously. It's fine to manage workloads, it's another thing entirely to basically piss away half a dozen games in the 2nd half because you're chasing something that you might never even catch -- perfect health. The games are tangible, the home field is tangible, directly affects winning.  This health thing is much more intangible and hard to predict and control.  But here we are, trying to control it.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But Abreu won’t be able to hit into DP with first base open, and now we have Grandal protecting him.

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Engel is healthy, he is a strong contender to start in RF.

Hamilton is favored by LaRussa because of his late inning D and pinch running.

Sheets is the best option for a LH power bat.

Vaughn could hit his way back into favor when he returns.

There will be decisions that have to be made.