9/15 GT: Angels @ White Sox, 7:10

Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What are the odds that Kimbrel and Cesar Hernandez are still both with the team on Opening Day, April, 2022?

I would say I hope they trade Kimbrel for a haul, but he's been pretty trash since coming over, so that seems like a tall order now.  But for what they gave up for him, he either better be on the team next year or at least bring back a nice return. 

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I don't think they'd decline Kimbrel's option given what they traded away. Sunk cost fallacy will win out, whether the option should be picked up or not.

I said since the day of the trade they would pick up option and trade him. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Kimbrel will want to be here next year if he’s not closing.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

If they don’t sign Escobar, I could totally see them trade for Wendle 

Wendle is almost a lock to be traded given the Rays never let non elite players get to arb, his age, their surplus in the middle infield, etc. I think he'd be a great fit.

But it'd be so White Sox for them to acquire Wendle and then he starts playing like a 32 year old once the Rays pixie dust wears off.

The ONE hope I have (and that goes along with Rodon's health) is the White Sox break through with playoff success early in their competitive window, this year.

It happened with the Cubs, Royals and Astros.

The Red Sox and Dodgers were the only teams that didn't fit that trend, but their mega-budgets don't make comparisons with the White Sox as useful anyway.

But TLR's managing and the bullpen have to scare the heck out of everyone, even the most optimistic fans.

Someone like Luis Robert is just going to have to carry the team, Grandal, Anderson, Eloy, etc.   Can't count on Abreu, he has done it for too long and too consistently.  Vaughn disappearing (as well as hurting) down the stretch isn't helping to boost that optimism much, either.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I really don't understand why Tim couldn't take an at bat in the ninth. This team isn't very good on the road. I have no idea why they've decided to coast into the playoffs and not push for home field.

It’s more I don’t get their approach of activating guys off the DL if they’re not 100 pct healthy. It backfired with Engel badly.  I’m fine resting Timmy tonight though.  The Sox clearly didn’t feel the game was critical.

1 hour ago, FoxForce2 said:

Probably, but what will his role be? Opener? Reliever of an opener. DK at least has a knack for getting out of jams (depending on pitch count.) But will that work in the case of pitching out of other pitcher's jams?  i.e. Is DK a 'fireman'?

All good questions but I think #1 it his experience and #2 he’s a lefty. He might very well be in the bullpen but a lot depends on the health of the other starting pitchers 

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm not sure the Sox have even attempted any steals since we've been in "keep everyone healthy" mode.

You're probably right, but man that was the spot for one. No reason Hamilton is on the roster if he's not running there.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I said since the day of the trade they would pick up option and trade him. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Kimbrel will want to be here next year if he’s not closing.

Relievers trade values are so inflated during the season. I think even if Kimbrel pitched well they'd be looking at a return that's like 25 cents on the dollar. If he's shaky through October, would the Sox really get anything significant in return for him?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I might have been wrong, Cesar might actually be worse than leury. Another guy trending down that rick had to have.

Any good outfielder would have been more valuable than Kimbrel as an everyday player. Going with Goodwin most of the time has cost us games.  He is AAA player.  Not making any contact tonight with Billy at third and 1 out was a killer.  Wished Cesar would have been hitting ahead of Goodwin instead.  He got the ball up in the air.

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

All good questions but I think #1 it his experience and #2 he’s a lefty. He might very well be in the bullpen but a lot depends on the health of the other starting pitchers 

Who the fuck cares about experience if you’re a shell of your former self?  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You're probably right, but man that was the spot for one. No reason Hamilton is on the roster if he's not running there.

I'm a bit more bothered that Leury didn't run. There's no way with Hamilton on third that they throw through. And that puts the winning run on 2nd.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Relievers trade values are so inflated during the season. I think even if Kimbrel pitched well they'd be looking at a return that's like 25 cents on the dollar. If he's shaky through October, would the Sox really get anything significant in return for him?

I honestly think his excuse will be not feeling comfortable as a set-up man, and a team will take a chance on him. I would bet Mets would take a shot on him over Diaz.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The ONE hope I have (and that goes along with Rodon's health) is the White Sox break through with playoff success early in their competitive window, this year.

It happened with the Cubs, Royals and Astros.

The Red Sox and Dodgers were the only teams that didn't fit that trend, but their mega-budgets don't make comparisons with the White Sox as useful anyway.

But TLR's managing and the bullpen have to scare the heck out of everyone, even the most optimistic fans.

Someone like Luis Robert is just going to have to carry the team, Grandal, Anderson, Eloy, etc.   Can't count on Abreu, he has done it for too long and too consistently.  Vaughn disappearing (as well as hurting) down the stretch isn't helping to boost that optimism much, either.

This stuff about LaRussa’s management style  is getting real irritating. We need to win the division not go 162-0. 

Bigger picture, we really need the Tigers or Royals (they've given us fits already) to emerge as real threats to keep the team (as well as the front office and JR) honest...because coasting into the playoffs every year for the next 2-3 seasons doesn't seem like that greatest idea in the world.

The Indians look to be around .500ish again, especially if they decide they can't sign Jose Ramirez.

It just MIGHT work this year, who knows really...but there's plenty of examples where teams in all professional sports couldn't just turn it back on when they actually needed to in the post-season after an extended period of "resting up" and picking their battles carefully.

• Haha 1

Just now, fathom said:

I honestly think his excuse will be not feeling comfortable as a set-up man, and a team will take a chance on him. I would bet Mets would take a shot on him over Diaz.

I know you aren't a fan of him, but the thought of trading Madrigal away for a rental reliever they'd salary dump 4 months later makes me sick.

4 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Any good outfielder would have been more valuable than Kimbrel as an everyday player. Going with Goodwin most of the time has cost us games.  He is AAA player.  Not making any contact tonight with Billy at third and 1 out was a killer.  Wished Cesar would have been hitting ahead of Goodwin instead.  He got the ball up in the air.

Goodwin has a 140 wRC+ vs righties. He has a place

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I know you aren't a fan of him, but the thought of trading Madrigal away for a rental reliever they'd salary dump 4 months later makes me sick.

I respect that and yes, it would be a huge blunder if they have to salary dump him.  Not that I like Madrigal, but you have to think they could have got something more valuable under control.