9/16 GT: Angels @ White Sox, 1:10pm

maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

All right, I get the extra rest, but he's only throwing about 80 pitches per start now on average and he hasn't thrown 100 in a game basically since the All Star break. Is he going to only throw 75 pitches in a playoff start?

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

All right, I get the extra rest, but he's only throwing about 80 pitches per start now on average and he hasn't thrown 100 in a game basically since the All Star break. Is he going to only throw 75 pitches in a playoff start?

He's toast.  It's really, really obvious he is hurt, and they are trying limp him through to get something out of him.  It's Carlos Rodon, so we should have all expected it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's a good plan to just keep him sharp. He is so far beyond his innings from not only last year but the last 2 years. He's pitch over 100 for most of the year, he'll be fine for the extra pitches in the playoffs.

I have an interesting tidbit to share. Liam Hendricks did that interview on MLBNetwork and someone had asked him if the Sox are coasting. He mentioned that the team is aware of it and TLR is aware of it but I guess the whole team agrees that they took their foot off the pedal last year and just coasted in and that’s why the A’s beat them. I guess apparently Liam has been very vocal, telling the team to not let it happen again.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's toast.  It's really, really obvious he is hurt, and they are trying limp him through to get something out of him.  It's Carlos Rodon, so we should have all expected it.

He's not toast going by results. He's had  2 starts in August and 2 more so far in September opponents were Cubs, Jays, Pirates and Red Sox. Exactly 5 IP each game. 20 total, 26 K, 4 BB, 4 ER.  If it was really really obvious he is hurt the results aren't showing it. If that's all he can give in the playoffs I will happily take it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This rationale doesn’t make sense, when you have the best home record in the league, and the fans coming out in droves to GRF.  We have a better chance to compete at home.  Need to get into the playoffs with a sense of urgency, a winning attitude and kicking ass, not playing Sunday lineups and punting under the rest is needed rationale.  You have five months to rest and enjoy the big bucks they are getting paid after the season is over.

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its basically a bullpen game now with him and hope he can give us 4/5

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's a good plan to just keep him sharp. He is so far beyond his innings from not only last year but the last 2 years. He's pitch over 100 for most of the year, he'll be fine for the extra pitches in the playoffs.

He's thrown the most innings he has since 2016, and has thrown well over half the innings he has pitched the previous 4 seasons combined, and they are getting stellar production from him. Whether this means he will be a full go at playoff time, or they can only have him for 1 start per playoff  series if that, who knows but the White Sox? But I agree, they are doing the right thing. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

This rationale doesn’t make sense, when you have the best home record in the league, and the fans coming out in droves to GRF.  We have a better chance to compete at home.  Need to get into the playoffs with a sense of urgency, a winning attitude and kicking ass, not playing Sunday lineups and punting under the rest is needed rationale.  You have five months to rest and enjoy the big bucks they are getting paid after the season is over.

I Want It Now!

Seriously? I believe they are certain they have two choices right now...

Play everyone full send and win at all costs in September, which they are certain will deprive them of specific arms and bats.

or

Keep giving guys extended rests and let the chips fall where they may, as they are certain of a playoff slot, and a fully healthy team will overcome not having HFA.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He's thrown the most innings he has since 2016, and has thrown well over half the innings he has pitched the previous 4 seasons combined, and they are getting stellar production from him. Whether this means he will be a full go at playoff time, or they can only have him for 1 start per playoff  series if that, who knows but the White Sox? But I agree, they are doing the right thing. 

I am ok with him getting 2 starts before the playoffs.

I'd really like to see him throw 90+ pitches in each.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Days off for starters have pretty much always been days off. Can't remember a starter getting the day off being used as a pinch hitter.

Strategery

2021 White Sox Pinch Hitting At Bats:

• Seven: Jake Lamb & Gavin Sheets
  • Six: Zack Collins, Adam Eaton, Danny Mendick, Yermin Mercedes
  • Five: Leury Garcia, Andrew Vaughn
  • Four: Jake Burger
  • Three: Romy Gonzalez, Brian Goodwin, Yasmani Grandal, Billy Hamilton
  • Two: Luis Gonzalez, Seby Zavala
  • One: Adam Engel
  • Zero: Jose Abreu, Tim Anderson, Cesar Hernandez, Eloy Jimenez, Nick Madrigal, Yoan Moncada, Luis Robert, Nick Williams.
22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Until your final sentence, I thought you might be commenting on La Russa.

3 minutes ago, racingmann said:

Does anyone know why Rodon hasn't been scheduled in the next several days? He's not on the IL, but nowhere to be found in the rotation. Are they just giving him an unusually long rest?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said: