Marshall pushing to get back

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Fry, Ruiz, Wright, and Burr are all currently in the White Sox's active bullpen. 

Yes, and I expect the Sox to carry 12 pitchers, at least for the ALDS. Might go to 13 for a potential ALDS but I see no reason to have 13 for a 5 game series.

Lynn/Rodon/Giolito/Cease starting

Lopez/Keuchel as long relief

Hendriks/Kimbrel/Tepera/Kopech as RH relief

Bummer/Crochet as LH relief

That leaves either one of the four guys you mentioned or Marshall as the 12th guy. Right now probably Ruiz but it's worth it to see if Marshall can beat him out for that last spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Yes, and I expect the Sox to carry 12 pitchers, at least for the ALDS. Might go to 13 for a potential ALDS but I see no reason to have 13 for a 5 game series.

That leaves either one of the four guys you mentioned or Marshall as the 12th guy. Right now probably Ruiz but it's worth it to see if Marshall can beat him out for that last spot.

I'd absolutely take Marshall and leave Keuchel off

On 9/17/2021 at 8:23 AM, Harry Chappas said:

A 9 man pen is too many.  Every guy can pitch every game there are plenty of off days and this is why guys are being handled with kid gloves now. 

I fear that Sheets will get bumped for Engel, Goodwin and Hamilton. 

It will be very interesting what position players make the playoff roster. I would suppose it will depend on what the Sox feel is more valuable against Houston, speed , defense or more left handed power . Engel would seem like a lock over Vaughn and Goodwin but it's difficult to judge based on his mere 105 AB's . Where does Hamilton fit in ? How often can he be used as a defensive replacement and pinch runner. Do the Sox carry 2 or 3 catchers for the 1st round ?

Vaughn is 4 for his last 50 AB's without any extra base hits and we haven't seen him since Sept. 9 . He could be in danger of losing a post season spot. Is Sheets more valuable than Vaughn for the playoffs based on health and power against RHP ? Basically it'll be a choice between Goodwin, Sheets, Vaughn, Hamilton and a 3rd catcher. That's 5 guys for how many spots are available ? That too depends on how many pitchers they carry.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

When you are somewhat of a marginal talent and cannot stay healthy no one is going to clamor for your return like Luis. Give it a go in the spring and see what shakes out.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It will be very interesting what position players make the playoff roster. I would suppose it will depend on what the Sox feel is more valuable against Houston, speed , defense or more left handed power . Engel would seem like a lock over Vaughn and Goodwin but it's difficult to judge based on his mere 105 AB's . Where does Hamilton fit in ? How often can he be used as a defensive replacement and pinch runner. Do the Sox carry 2 or 3 catchers for the 1st round ?

Vaughn is 4 for his last 50 AB's without any extra base hits and we haven't seen him since Sept. 9 . He could be in danger of losing a post season spot. Is Sheets more valuable than Vaughn for the playoffs based on health and power against RHP ? Basically it'll be a choice between Goodwin, Sheets, Vaughn, Hamilton and a 3rd catcher. That's 5 guys for how many spots are available ? That too depends on how many pitchers they carry.

No chance they carry a third catcher when whoever the backup is will never play. 

I'm thinking they go 8-man pen (plenty of days off for rest) and 5-man bench. 4 starting pitchers.