Rodon may need extra rest in the postseason

South Side Hit Men

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's not healthy.

He's not 100%. What player is? He's been pitching well. And he will pitch. Why do you insist on proclaiming him not healthy ? With all the rest they are trying to keep him healthy and if he wasn't healthy they would prevent him from pitching and so would Rodon and Boras. No one wants to jeopardize his future or future payday by pitching him went he isn't healthy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

this is absolutely wrong. Boras has come out several times this season praising the Sox for being reasonable and having a good plan for his usage and pending Free Agency. Boras would not say this if he felt he was losing millions in commissions. Carlos has been great, but we all knew it probably would be a struggle towards the end of the season. 

I agree with you . Everything was above board and I did not see your comment when I wrote my comment disputing that claim by one poster that he isn't healthy. He's getting rest , he's been pitching well and only going 5 innings lately. When he showed signs of fatigue they gave him extended rest in August . Everyone involved wants to see him do well and stay healthy through the post season. It benefits no one for Rodon to be injured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree with you . Everything was above board and I did not see your comment when I wrote my comment disputing that claim by one poster that he isn't healthy. He's getting rest , he's been pitching well and only going 5 innings lately. When he showed signs of fatigue they gave him extended rest in August . Everyone involved wants to see him do well and stay healthy through the post season. It benefits no one for Rodon to be injured.

They have shut him down 3 times. This time they went from a six man rotation to hopefully he starts soon again, but no one knows when.  If it weren't necessary,  it would be regular rest with certainty. 

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Remember when I made this thread and most foolishly disagreed with me? Add this to the list of thing ron was right about and Soxtalk was wrong about. 

You made that thread because I kept getting in arguments with people when I proclaimed he had to be shut down at some point in the season ! Then you disappeared from the Rodon IL'd  thread when he was IL'd in August with shoulder fatigue when people started saying you could see it coming from a mile away and I  called them out about the poll results. Of course then it became a war of semantics about some silliness "Should he be shut down" and "do we expect the Sox to shut him down" are two completely different things ." ;) Thanks for the help buddy .

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They have shut him down 3 times. This time they went from a six man rotation to hopefully he starts soon again, but no one knows when.  If it weren't necessary,  it would be regular rest with certainty. 

IL'd once, extra rest between starts. 12 days in July which coincided with the AS break. A couple of extra days between July 29 start and August 7 start. Then August 7 start and next one was August 26 so 18 days between those starts. He's supposed to start in Detroit after the Texas series so Sept 17-19. Just seems like they want to keep his time between starts to around 9-10 days in the hopes he can pitch more often in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

IL'd once, extra rest between starts. 12 days in July which coincided with the AS break. A couple of extra days between July 29 start and August 7 start. Then August 7 start and next one was August 26 so 18 days between those starts. He's supposed to start in Detroit after the Texas series so Sept 17-19. Just seems like they want to keep his time between starts to around 9-10 days in the hopes he can pitch more often in the playoffs.

This is my exact point. If it wasn't health related,  it would be regular and predictable.  They would be able to tell us ahead of time,  and not when he was healthy enough to take the ball once.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is my exact point. If it wasn't health related,  it would be regular and predictable.  They would be able to tell us ahead of time,  and not when he was healthy enough to take the ball once.

This franchise hasn't exactly been a model of sharing health information this year though, we were just talking about that the other day. Remember how Grandal was "ahead of schedule" the whole time on a 4-6 week injury and came back after 6 weeks?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This franchise hasn't exactly been a model of sharing health information this year though, we were just talking about that the other day. Remember how Grandal was "ahead of schedule" the whole time on a 4-6 week injury and came back after 6 weeks?

Yep. I'm waiting to hear that Vaughn will be out through the playoffs due to an appendectomy or something. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because it's health related doesn't mean he isn't healthy. I got 2 Covid vaccine shots and wear a mask  which is health related but I am healthy . They are managing innings because of arm fatigue. Now if you want to say a fatigued arm isn't a healthy arm then sure I'll buy that but I don't think there's anything structurally wrong with his shoulder or elbow... yet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Bad timing...wonder what the White Sox offered him in July that he turned down?  Wonder if there are any regrets on his end?  Love the guy...but his health is always going to be a huge question!  How big of an offer is he going to get this offseason?  And do the White Sox risk offering him the QO? 

You do realize he hasn't exactly pitched a ton of innings the last 2 years. The amount of innings he has put up this year, it is inevitable that he has a tired arm. Normally we would be shutting a guy down at this point and letting him rest for the following year and hoping he can add 20% IP. I'm find with resting him, and hoping that he can pitch 1 game per series as long as the Sox stay in the playoffs. We shouldn't need more from him than that. Let Giolito and Lynn pitch 2 games in a series if we need it. Worst case let Keuchel, Kopech, Lopez pitch a game if we need it. Our pitching is not going to be the downfall of this team, it's going to be if the offense stays stagnant. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

You do realize he hasn't exactly pitched a ton of innings the last 2 years. The amount of innings he has put up this year, it is inevitable that he has a tired arm. Normally we would be shutting a guy down at this point and letting him rest for the following year and hoping he can add 20% IP. I'm find with resting him, and hoping that he can pitch 1 game per series as long as the Sox stay in the playoffs. We shouldn't need more from him than that. Let Giolito and Lynn pitch 2 games in a series if we need it. Worst case let Keuchel, Kopech, Lopez pitch a game if we need it. Our pitching is not going to be the downfall of this team, it's going to be if the offense stays stagnant.  

While we are being told Rodon is "resting" at this point...he has not been injury free during the second half!  He spent time on the IL for shoulder?  Can't remember exactly...might have been elbow?  Either way...most likely this is not all about "rest" when it comes to Rodon!

20 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

While we are being told Rodon is "resting" at this point...he has not been injury free during the second half!  He spent time on the IL for shoulder?  Can't remember exactly...might have been elbow?  Either way...most likely this is not all about "rest" when it comes to Rodon!

The only diagnosis that has been reported has been fatigue. No specific injuries have been cited. Doesn't mean there isn't one but they haven't released it.

Could this mean that Carlos might not start against the Tigers next week? It was said that he was likely to start against Detroit. Keuchel and Lopez would both be on normal rest on Monday and Tuesday. Cease would also be on normal rest on Wednesday. 

34 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Could this mean that Carlos might not start against the Tigers next week? It was said that he was likely to start against Detroit. Keuchel and Lopez would both be on normal rest on Monday and Tuesday. Cease would also be on normal rest on Wednesday. 

I hope it means Lopez isnt starting again until maybe one if the DH games

On 9/16/2021 at 6:15 PM, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, Extra Rest in the postseason is likely unless he starts game 1 of the ALDS. If he starts game 2, his next "turn" would be game 1 of the ALCS, which would be ~8 days later. 

Unfortunately this team will not be advancing to the ALCS

On 9/17/2021 at 9:56 AM, manbearpuig said:

There you go. Makes it easier to decide who goes game 1.

Yes—agreed.  If he has anything left in the tank at all he’ll be helpful in the postseason.  It’s just not all that long even in the best case scenario.  We’re talking three or three or four starts at most.

• Quin locked this topic