Rodon may need extra rest in the postseason

South Side Hit Men

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He's not healthy.

Bad timing...wonder what the White Sox offered him in July that he turned down?  Wonder if there are any regrets on his end?  Love the guy...but his health is always going to be a huge question!  How big of an offer is he going to get this offseason?  And do the White Sox risk offering him the QO? 

1 minute ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Bad timing...wonder what the White Sox offered him in July that he turned down?  Wonder if there are any regrets on his end?  Love the guy...but his health is always going to be a huge question!  How big of an offer is he going to get this offseason?  And do the White Sox risk offering him the QO? 

Wait. What offer?  I don't recall seeing this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wait. What offer?  I don't recall seeing this.

Might not have been a formal offer but I believe Stone said on the Score in the days after signing Lynn to an extension that the White Sox approached Rodon but that Rodon and his camp wanted to wait until the off-season to discuss any deals.  Maybe I misheard it but I am almost positive Stone said that on the radio.  So...maybe not an offer per se but if they flat out didn't want to negotiate at that time...then he in effect turned down some guaranteed money!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Might not have been a formal offer but I believe Stone said on the Score in the days after signing Lynn to an extension that the White Sox approached Rodon but that Rodon and his camp wanted to wait until the off-season to discuss any deals.  Maybe I misheard it but I am almost positive Stone said that on the radio.  So...maybe not an offer per se but if they flat out didn't want to negotiate at that time...then he in effect turned down some guaranteed money!

I hadn't heard this at all.  Interesting.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I hadn't heard this at all.  Interesting.

If I recall correctly...Stone was adamant that there was no animosity at all...just a player wanting to wait until the season was over.  Hope for Carlos' sake that he is healthy this winter but I just don't see the White Sox offering him a big contract...guessing someone desperate will however!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Yes I remember hearing that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

If I recall correctly...Stone was adamant that there was no animosity at all...just a player wanting to wait until the season was over.  Hope for Carlos' sake that he is healthy this winter but I just don't see the White Sox offering him a big contract...guessing someone desperate will however!

He is not doing himself any favors down the stretch.

• Like 1

The Sox managed him very badly. After 34 innings in 19 and 7 in 2020 Tony just overused him and Hahn did nothing to step in (like a fake DL stint earlier in the season or telling him to skip a start). 

I know he is a FA but the sox still need him in the post season, why wasn't he Already rested in July? 

What did they think? That he can easily throw 160 innings after 40 combined in 2 years before that? 

Edited by Dominikk85

22 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The Sox managed him very badly. After 34 innings in 19 and 7 in 2020 Tony just overused him and Hahn did nothing to step in (like a fake DL stint earlier in the season or telling him to skip a start). 

I know he is a FA but the sox still need him in the post season, why wasn't he Already rested in July? 

What did they think? That he can easily throw 160 innings after 40 combined in 2 years before that? 

this is absolutely wrong. Boras has come out several times this season praising the Sox for being reasonable and having a good plan for his usage and pending Free Agency. Boras would not say this if he felt he was losing millions in commissions. Carlos has been great, but we all knew it probably would be a struggle towards the end of the season. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

this is absolutely wrong. Boras has come out several times this season praising the Sox for being reasonable and having a good plan for his usage and pending Free Agency. Boras would not say this if he felt he was losing millions in commissions. Carlos has been great, but we all knew it probably would be a struggle towards the end of the season. 

Most fans feel the managed the pitcher workloads, including Rodon's, in a responsible manner. 

Fans may have disagreements with who they brought in from the bullpen at times, which would happen with any manager, but the workloads including Kopech's appear to be properly managed and cautious. It's just a crazy season all around based primarily on the aborted season and 102 game owner lockout, which is why teams are vying for the all time records for most hitters and pitchers used in a season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

If you knew he would struggle toward the end of the season wouldn't the solution have been to limit his innings? If you have a pitcher with a history of fragility why not limit his workload more especially in such a week division?

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's not healthy.

He was hitting 98 at the game I was at his past start. I think he's "healthy" but his arm isn't bouncing back after starts in the same fashion as he's a bit worn down from pushing this innings number.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Most fans feel the managed the pitcher workloads, including Rodon's, in a responsible manner. 

Fans may have disagreements with who they brought in from the bullpen at times, which would happen with any manager, but the workloads including Kopech's appear to be properly managed and cautious. It's just a crazy season all around based primarily on the aborted season and 102 game owner lockout, which is why teams are vying for the all time records for most hitters and pitchers used in a season.

I've said since the beginning of the season that there really was no way he was going to be a starter all year without having issues. He just dint have the innings to do it. 

I still think the original plan was for him to only pitch half a season then Kopech would take over. However Rodon just pitched too well and they couldn't take him out.

He may or may not be injured but he is definitely gassed.

• Like 2

• Quin locked this topic