9/18 White Sox @ Rangers, 6:05

Kyyle23

15 minutes ago, JTB said:

Unfortunately they aren’t going to win the WS and hopefully he retires to the old folks with multiple DWIs home.

Those skeptical will be toasting Tony as one of our great managers when he leads the Sox to the crown. Remember, this guy is no Willie off the Pickle Boat. He's been around. He knows what it takes. He knows the kind of run a team needs to go on. He's gonna need to push the right buttons in terms of how long to let Sox starters go. He's going to have to manage the bullpen and he's going to have to motivate a little bit to get consistency out of Jose and some of the other hitters who are inconsistent this year but at the same time great during stretches.

Tim Anderson and Tony will be an unstoppable combination with either Cease or Lance Lynn, maybe both leading the way in terms of pitching. Sox are gonna upset the Astros and win it all IMO.

p.s. It's CRUCIAL to win Game One or else there will be huge pressure on the team during Game Two which will take place only 13 hours after the last out of Game One. You can be down 2-0 in a hurry heading home.

Trust in Tony. Again, he's been around the block.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Those skeptical will be toasting Tony as one of our great managers when he leads the Sox to the crown. Remember, this guy is no Willie off the Pickle Boat. He's been around. He knows what it takes. He knows the kind of run a team needs to go on. He's gonna need to push the right buttons in terms of how long to let Sox starters go. He's going to have to manage the bullpen and he's going to have to motivate a little bit to get consistency out of Jose and some of the other hitters who are inconsistent this year but at the same time great during stretches.

Tim Anderson and Tony will be an unstoppable combination with either Cease or Lance Lynn, maybe both leading the way in terms of pitching. Sox are gonna upset the Astros and win it all IMO.

p.s. It's CRUCIAL to win Game One or else there will be huge pressure on the team during Game Two which will take place only 13 hours after the last out of Game One. You can be down 2-0 in a hurry heading home.

Is that some kind of Wiilie Harris crack??  Didnt they give him an interview?

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, greg775 said:

nope. i don't even know who willie harris is. It's a saying.

1.  I was messing with you.

2.  Willie Harris scored the winning run in game 4 of the 2005 World Series.

3.  Where the hell did you get that saying from?....upon further review, it is apparently a saying from English yachting....I apologize, carry on.

Edited by wegner
Googled for understanding
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

nope. i don't even know who willie harris is. It's a saying.

It’s actually a book and a precursor to Santa Claus. 

Not really a precursor, but maybe more of a history.  

Edited by JTB

44 minutes ago, wegner said:

Oh I turned it off in frustration after the last out...what did Ozzie say?

Just that they are going to be facing some pretty tough pitching in the next few weeks, and if they can't fathom more than 3 hits against Texas, then how will they score against teams in the postseason?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At least this loss is on the players, not some inexplicable dugout decision. Lynn put runners on, Crochet gave up a hit, and the offense was bad.

Small ball hurt us tonight.  Rangers had 3 steals, bunted runner over.  Things that we don’t do.  Our station to station baseball doesn’t work well in close games unless we hit some homers.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Are you serious?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

When is the last time the Sox won a game when trailing after 8? I can't even remember it happening.

TLR lacks the killer instinct to use all available weapons late to go all out fo r a win.  How many times have we seen Mendick, Billy, Goodwin, Sevy hitting late in close games, with our “resting” guns sitting on the bench.  Hardly ever putting runners in motion to avoid double plays or getting runners in scoring position....

18 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Are you serious?

Yes, if Sox win it all, which I hope they will and think they will, it's going to make Tony a hero forever in Chicago. Look at Ozzie. Despite him getting canceled in Miami for his statements and leaving Chicago on bad terms with many fans who think he quit on the team that one year, he still is a postgame commentator in Chicago and many of us will remember him fondly forever for managing the Sox to a resounding title. The team's performance that postseason was legendary. Sox were almost perfect.

I think Tony is no Willie off the PIckle Boat, he's experienced Hall of Famer, and I like the Sox bats chances of getting hot and Cease and Lynn leading the way for the pitching staff.

This team has been waiting for the postseason to arrive forever and hopefully it will get hot and win, win win with Tony at the helm. I contend I could be wrong so as not to jinx the club. I want the title.

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

16.8 fWAR for the White Sox Starters, 12.2 for Houston. So the White Sox do have better starters, but Houston has a better offense and defense. It’s a close matchup on paper, and home field would have been important.

We may pay a big prize for being so non chalant. about HFA, prioritizing rest/Sunday lineups over getting HFA. Sox have the best home record in the league.  We may be over doing the resting thing, particularly if it results in the Sox not going beyond the first series because of not having HFA.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Yes, if Sox win it all, which I hope they will and think they will, it's going to make Tony a hero forever in Chicago. Look at Ozzie. Despite him getting canceled in Miami for his statements and leaving Chicago on bad terms with many fans who think he quit on the team that one year, he still is a postgame commentator in Chicago and many of us will remember him fondly forever for managing the Sox to a resounding title. The team's performance that postseason was legendary. Sox were almost perfect.

I think Tony is no Willie off the PIckle Boat, he's experienced Hall of Famer, and I like the Sox bats chances of getting hot and Cease and Lynn leading the way for the pitching staff.

This team has been waiting for the postseason to arrive forever and hopefully it will get hot and win, win win with Tony at the helm. I contend I could be wrong so as not to jinx the club. I want the title.

Respect your opinion and hope you are right. However IMO Tony is no longer performing at a HOF manager level.  We are in a different era now.

Edited by hankchifan
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Respect your opinion and hope you are right. However IMO Tony is no longer performing at a HOF manager level.  We are in a different era now.

Thanks. I hope he inspires some of our sluggers to be situational. I know it's the era of all or nothing, HR or K at the plate, but sometimes it takes a Moncada single to the oppo field. I think Tony is the man to get us a title. I don't think he'll be Mr. Modern manager and only let the starters go 4 innings then play the reliever game, but we shall see. I do think al the injuries have led to the Sunday lineups. Abreu and Timmy and Moncada rarely get a day off when they are healthy though.

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

Goodwin has been horrible.  His D is bad, and now he is hitting in the .220s.  A good defensive outfielder with pop was our main need instead of another reliever.  We needed to get Goodwin off the roster.

anyone they would've acquired would've come here and turned their own career numbers upside down, happens damn near everytime the Sox trade for a player at the deadline

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic