Romy our 2nd baseman of the future?

DanofDuPage

I doubt he starts ahead of Cesar and Leury moving forward this season, but the decisions for 2022 are interesting.  Personally, I am not picking up Cesar’s option. Resigning Leury is debatable. If neither is back, to me Romy’s the front runner internally unless they move Moncada to accommodate Burger. Doubt that was in the cards or Burger would be up now. They also have Popeye in the minors, but he’s at least a year away. Neither Yolbert Sanchez nor Lenyn Sosa have Romy’s upside. I bet they give him a shot.

Let Leury and Romy battle for second base next year and let the other fill in as an all purpose utility man. Go acquire a legit RF and fill the black hole that has plagued our OF for several seasons. Engel as the fourth outfielder and get a quality backup catcher. Who’s with me!?! 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Let Leury and Romy battle for second base next year and let the other fill in as an all purpose utility man. Go acquire a legit RF and fill the black hole that has plagued our OF for several seasons. Engel as the fourth outfielder and get a quality backup catcher. Who’s with me!?! 

Leury is not under contract for 2022. Y’all have to debate whether a utility guy is worth $3 or $4 million to this org next year. My current answer is that it depends on the CBA, whether they can move Kimbrel, and how willing JR is to spend, all things I don’t know.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Leury is not under contract for 2022. Y’all have to debate whether a utility guy is worth $3 or $4 million to this org next year. My current answer is that it depends on the CBA, whether they can move Kimbrel, and how willing JR is to spend, all things I don’t know.

I am for keeping Leury.  He is a high energy guy who can play several positions and is a switch hitter.

• Like 1

I don't see any reason to start Romy over Leury at 2B in the playoffs. Romy had a nice season, but so far in the majors he's striking out 35% of the time and walking 3%. That's what plate discipline looks like when a guy is still adjusting + slightly overwhelmed at the plate. I think if he saw good pitching in the playoffs it would go very, very poorly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

I am for keeping Leury.  He is a high energy guy who can play several positions and is a switch hitter.

I don’t disagree, but let’s imagine the payroll limit is $150 million next year. Bring back Lopez and Engel and they are already over that. So resign Leury and you have to remove $10 million from the payroll for scraps. Who do you drop to save Leury? Perhaps the payroll limit is much higher, but that’s the worst case scenario. 

What happens if someone offers Leury 3/$15? Would you match that?

4 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I doubt he starts ahead of Cesar and Leury moving forward this season, but the decisions for 2022 are interesting.  Personally, I am not picking up Cesar’s option. Resigning Leury is debatable. If neither is back, to me Romy’s the front runner internally unless they move Moncada to accommodate Burger. Doubt that was in the cards or Burger would be up now. They also have Popeye in the minors, but he’s at least a year away. Neither Yolbert Sanchez nor Lenyn Sosa have Romy’s upside. I bet they give him a shot.

Move Moncada to accommodate burger? Lolololol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hankchifan said:

The only thing debatable about signing Leury is what kind of contract he'll get. Indispensable guy for the next two years anyway. 

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

The White Sox won't pickup the options on Hernandez and Kimbrel this off season. They will use some of that money on another 2nd baseman. Maybe Javy Baez.

At least in Kimbrel's case a pick-up-the-option and trade isn't out of the question. Considering Hernandez' career numbers, I don't know whether this year is just an anomaly for him or that he's on the downslope of his career. A pretty steep slide at the plate here in Chicago but at least he's still a first class second baseman and that's worth something. I threw up in my mouth a little bit on the Baez idea.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

At least in Kimbrel's case a pick-up-the-option and trade isn't out of the question. Considering Hernandez' career numbers, I don't know whether this year is just an anomaly for him or that he's on the downslope of his career. A pretty steep slide at the plate here in Chicago but at least he's still a first class second baseman and that's worth something. I threw up in my mouth a little bit on the Baez idea.

Who would you rather have, Hernandez or Baez?

I certainly hope Gonzalez isn't the Sox second baseman of the future. Madrigal should be the second baseman of the future. We can all agree that trading Madrigal for a sweaty, super expensive, inconsistent set-up man will likely go down as one of the worst trades in White Sox history. To get Madrigal back from the Cubs, the Sox could offer Vaughn and Kopech, but I'm pretty sure the Cubs would want more than that.

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

If neither is back, to me Romy’s the front runner internally unless they move Moncada to accommodate Burger.

I think moving a contributor is a reasonable idea; can't stay static. Moncada, however, would be difficult to move to due his hefty salary.  And it's a stretch to count on Burger.
As for Romy, he seems to have a similar CV to a few others who popped this year.  He had a pretty blah  Kanny in 2019, then the 2020 hidden year, and then 2021 comes around and he dominates AA and AAA.  So far, so good.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Who would you rather have, Hernandez or Baez?

I don't see how this is an either/or case. Projections indicate that Baez will cost $15-20 mil/year (maybe more.)  Just as a comparison - Profar or Taylor will get something like $10-12 mil/year. From a cost effectiveness angle alone the latter two are better options. Then the team chemistry side comes into play. Baez is a high profile personality - is he really a good fit for this team? That and his often extreme hot/cold plate performance swings make him a questionable option for the Sox. Depending on how Popeye and Gonzales are viewed and projected, I don't know that the Sox even go as high as the Profar/Taylor level contracts. There may be a 2b near MLB ready prospect in another team's system that is blocked ala Burger. i.e. there are several paths to consider.  I just don't see Baez. And as a fan - don't really want him.
But then I was dead set against the whole Machado nonsense from the start - which says more about me than any of these guys. I'm still waiting for Hahn's call on this matter - plenty of room on my voicemails.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

I certainly hope Gonzalez isn't the Sox second baseman of the future. Madrigal should be the second baseman of the future. We can all agree that trading Madrigal for a sweaty, super expensive, inconsistent set-up man will likely go down as one of the worst trades in White Sox history. To get Madrigal back from the Cubs, the Sox could offer Vaughn and Kopech, but I'm pretty sure the Cubs would want more than that.

I’m speechless 

• Like 1