Jump to content
DanofDuPage

Romy our 2nd baseman of the future?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m speechless 

Yes.  You can't make that stuff up.  Oh, wait, he just did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wish Heuer didn’t suck.  What a compounding issue that became.  Bummer too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I don't see how this is an either/or case. Projections indicate that Baez will cost $15-20 mil/year (maybe more.)  Just as a comparison - Profar or Taylor will get something like $10-12 mil/year. From a cost effectiveness angle alone the latter two are better options. Then the team chemistry side comes into play. Baez is a high profile personality - is he really a good fit for this team? That and his often extreme hot/cold plate performance swings make him a questionable option for the Sox. Depending on how Popeye and Gonzales are viewed and projected, I don't know that the Sox even go as high as the Profar/Taylor level contracts. There may be a 2b near MLB ready prospect in another team's system that is blocked ala Burger. i.e. there are several paths to consider.  I just don't see Baez. And as a fan - don't really want him.
But then I was dead set against the whole Machado nonsense from the start - which says more about me than any of these guys. I'm still waiting for Hahn's call on this matter - plenty of room on my voicemails.

I read a interesting article about Baez a few weeks ago. The writer maintained that the Mets were the only team interested in Baez. Maybe he won't be getting $15-20 mil/year offers. All I know is the White Sox have a hole at 2nd base. I wish that Madrigal had never been traded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proof that I have lost it is that I am looking forward to the Free Agent season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

I certainly hope Gonzalez isn't the Sox second baseman of the future. Madrigal should be the second baseman of the future. We can all agree that trading Madrigal for a sweaty, super expensive, inconsistent set-up man will likely go down as one of the worst trades in White Sox history. To get Madrigal back from the Cubs, the Sox could offer Vaughn and Kopech, but I'm pretty sure the Cubs would want more than that.

Turn off your playstation and go back to bed.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m speechless 

Pretty sure McNertney is pulling a garden variety troll.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

We can all agree that trading Madrigal for a sweaty, super expensive, inconsistent set-up man will likely go down as one of the worst trades in White Sox history. 

It’s not even the second worst trade in Hahn history. Way behind He Who Shall Not Be Named and Semien/Bassitt. Might not be worse than Montas.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

 Moncada, however, would be difficult to move to due his hefty salary.  And it's a stretch to count on Burger.

I was referring to thoughts on this board that they should shift Yoan back to second. I don’t think anyone is considering trading Moncada during the competitive window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

It’s not even the second worst trade in Hahn history. Way behind He Who Shall Not Be Named and Semien/Bassitt. Might not be worse than Montas.

Hey! J. Shields was a reasonable #4-5 starter, solid clubhouse presence, and worth every bit of $5-6 mil/year.
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wait..................................
 

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Romy a lot. Let him work on 2b all winter, let him compete when he comes back. His K rate will be what makes or breaks him. Versatile, fast, power. He's got a lot of what you need, just didn't have pedigree.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tray said:

Who said that?

I don’t remember.  I read it in the past few days.  I don’t know if it’s accurate information or not.  The site isn’t letting me search so I can’t find the post.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

I don’t remember.  I read it in the past few days.  I don’t know if it’s accurate information or not.  The site isn’t letting me search so I can’t find the post.  

I don't know who said that, but the Sox called up Romy and Sheets on Sept 1 when they DFAed Lamb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

To get Madrigal back from the Cubs, the Sox could offer Vaughn and Kopech, but I'm pretty sure the Cubs would want more than that.

alright-then-ace-ventura.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

He Who Shall Not Be Named

This is the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tray said:

I don't know who said that, but the Sox called up Romy and Sheets on Sept 1 when they DFAed Lamb.

Yes, and a player has to be on the 40 man roster on Aug. 31 to be eligible.  
 

I don’t know if there are any exceptions for injuries or anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

I certainly hope Gonzalez isn't the Sox second baseman of the future. Madrigal should be the second baseman of the future. We can all agree that trading Madrigal for a sweaty, super expensive, inconsistent set-up man will likely go down as one of the worst trades in White Sox history. To get Madrigal back from the Cubs, the Sox could offer Vaughn and Kopech, but I'm pretty sure the Cubs would want more than that.

That set up man's success or failure depends solely on the postseason. If he excels and helps Sox claim WS title, he'll be a hero and the trade will look good. If he's a postseason bust, acquiring him was a big mistake. We shall see. On paper the Sox look like they are set up for success bullpen wise for the playoffs/WS.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love Semien.  I think it's too early to tell with him.  They also did just draft a Shortstop who can likely be groomed as a second baseman as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That set up man's success or failure depends solely on the postseason. If he excels and helps Sox claim WS title, he'll be a hero and the trade will look good. If he's a postseason bust, acquiring him was a big mistake. We shall see. On paper the Sox look like they are set up for success bullpen wise for the playoffs/WS.

So if he throws 2 scoreless innings in the playoffs, but his previous 2 months of sucking makes the trade worth it? Nah, we would have to have an extended run in the playoffs and for him to have like 4-5 solid appearances to even consider it a “good” trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt Leury would be someone they’d easily let go. The Sox reward their character guys and his versatility suits us better than most teams because of how many players we have locked into corner infield and outfield spots. How many teams are 1) competing where they’d want to play a vet over trying out someone with upside and control 2) as short on middle infield and corner OF defense where they’d pay much for a below average hitter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

I would love Semien.  I think it's too early to tell with him.  They also did just draft a Shortstop who can likely be groomed as a second baseman as well.

Everyone would love Semien. He leads MLB in WAR since 2019. He'll get something like 6 yrs $180 million most likely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Everyone would love Semien. He leads MLB in WAR since 2019. He'll get something like 6 yrs $180 million most likely

Can you let me, like, dream for a second?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can Marcus Semien have 40 home runs? It doesn't seem possible. Obviously he's adopted the modern lift and pull strategy of hitting. Yeah, he's got 161 hits and 136 strikeouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't discount Tony going after Julio "Juice" Cruz this offseason. Hell, he may still be under contract with the White Sox. :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2021 at 6:11 AM, hankchifan said:

I am for keeping Leury.  He is a high energy guy who can play several positions and is a switch hitter.

I totally agree, I think many people on here don't realise that a utility guy like Leury is priceless (not literally) to a team, he can play virtually anywhere on the pitch to a good enough standard, not exceptional but acceptable, and his bat is not as bad as many people seem to think, again he is not exceptional but more than acceptable. If he accepts a reasonable contract offer keep him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×