'Here's 1 way Robert is already making history' -MLB.com

joejoesox

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/luis-robert-is-making-historic-contact-improvements.html

Luis Robert has been scalding hot, entering Friday with a .372/.404/.612 line and 178 wRC+ (eighth among qualified hitters) since he returned from a torn right hip flexor on Aug. 9. But Robert's biggest number since that date: a 14.7% strikeout rate.

gBy8L9W.jpg

• Fire 1

I overheard some Rangers fans a few rows behind me talking about Robert yesterday at the game. It went something like, "that center fielder for the White Sox who threw the guy out at home is hitting .350". Yeah even casual fans are starting to notice. 

• Like 2

Largest year-to-year drops in whiff-per-swing rate, pitch tracking era (since 2008)
Min. 500 swings in each season (2,300+ player seasons)
1) Luis Robert: -14.5 points (41.5% in 2020, 27.0% in '21)
2) Joc Pederson (2015-16): -9.5 points
3-T) Ike Davis (2013-14): -8.9 points
3-T) Jonathan Lucroy (2016-17): -8.9 points
5) David Ortiz (2010-11): -8.6 points
Robert: 492 swings in 2021, entering Friday

The gap between Robert and Pederson in second place is as wide as the gap between Pederson and the 97th spot on that leaderboard. It’s not an exaggeration to say that, even if it’s only two half-seasons for Robert, we have never seen this kind of contact improvement in recent history (though Olson and Gregory Polanco are hovering near 12% drops from 2020, and could also make the list above with enough total swings).

https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-robert-is-making-historic-contact-improvements

Just imagine if he had had a full season last year.

• Like 1

'Here's 1 way Robert is already making history' -MLB.com Thread by @joesaiditstrue  made yesterday. Carry on.

Seems to me the article downplays the physical changes he made to his stance but to me they are as important as anything else. "Robert's physical adjustments since coming back from injury are minuscule; he's opened his stance just slightly and that's allowed him to stay on his back leg and take in pitches a hair longer."

I'd actually like to see Moncada do the same thing. Moncada already knows the strike zone very well . I think that if he does the same thing and see's the pitch just a hair longer and stays on his back leg he'd cut down on the swing and miss that's so prevalent in his game . Yoan hits the ball hard and he just need to hit the ball more often and he'll get a lot closer to a .500  Slg. % than the .400 he's at now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Ok thanks I'll merge. Here is the gold star you and Ron love getting.

custom_message_gold_star_with_gold_glitt

You just could have merged the threads and not said anything to me. No need to be defensive about it. I'm just doing my part to keep the place efficient. I think you do a great job as an admin which I certainly wouldn't want to do.

37 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's one thing to recognize how you're being pitched and to try and go into every AB with a plan, it's another to actually execute that plan and have the commitment to stick with it.

The changes to his stance help so much with executing his plan. He's seeing the ball better so he gets that extra split second to decide to swing or not or locate the pitch and just crush it or even just put the ball in play. With his strength and bat speed just making more contact improves his hitting tremendously.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You just could have merged the threads and not said anything to me. No need to be defensive about it. I'm just doing my part to keep the place efficient. I think you do a great job as an admin which I certainly wouldn't want to do.

On the contrary, I think he is a lousy admin, and I could do better than him while sleepwalking.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The changes to his stance help so much with executing his plan. He's seeing the ball better so he gets that extra split second to decide to swing or not or locate the pitch and just crush it or even just put the ball in play. With his strength and bat speed just making more contact improves his hitting tremendously.

I'm a little too lazy to look at his batted ball profile right now but it seems like he's managing to make more contact while also not really losing his ability to pull the ball in the air.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

On the contrary, I think he is a lousy admin, and I could do better than him while sleepwalking.

We know, Ron.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I reward you with a gold star and this is how you thank me.