2021 sox farm awards given by us, this subforum

bmags

I barely realized sunday ended much of our minor league seasons since none are in the playoffs. DSL is still playing.

Anyway, here are my awards for best minor league years. I'm including guys that may have been called up to majors and succeeded as a factor in this, because that's what the minors are for. I'm not including rehabbing major league players though, but Yas was probably our best catcher. What a nice guy.

My All Star Team For Minor Leagues - Name / Level / Age Notes

C - Carlos Perez / AA / 25  : Slashed . .264/.313/.418 in birmingham, finding his best power to date. He has always made great contact with just a 7% strikeout rate. TLR raved about his defense in ST, and I honestly have no idea why Nate Nolan is in AAA over him, but he plays a lot in Birmingham.
Other Considerations: Xavier Fernandez, Adam Hackenberg

1B - Gavin Sheets / AAAMLB / 25: We know about gavin sheets. 
Other Considerations: Harvin Mendoza - just not enough power

2B - Yolbert Sanchez / A+ AA / 24: I struggled with this one since at his age he should have done this, but considering how poorly he hit for power in Cuba and his start to the white sox, his . 343 .369 .469 mark in Birmingham makes him seem like he's still on the way up
Other Considerations: Lenyn Sosa

SS - TIE Jose Rodriguez and Romy Gonzales : I'm not choosing here. Romy went for 20/20 in the tough power environment of Bham, crushed Charlotte, and is now in the Majors. He's played 5 positions this year. Jose rodriguez as a 20 year old went across 3 leagues, with steady power and unbelievable consistency. 
Other considerations: Colson Montgomery - good approach to start young career

3b - Jake Burger / AAA MLB / 25: we all know jake burger
Other Considerations: Bryan Ramos

OF (3) 
Luis Mieses /A+ A A+ / 21: After an awful start, Mieses went down to A and dominated, and since coming up has been a doubles machine. Finished year with a respectable .270 / .312 /.463 across both levels

Yoelque Cespedes / A+ AA / 23: after a hot start in BHam his power slowed. He probably could be in AAA to start the year. I'm not really sold by the package, but boy is our outfield bad.

Micker Adolfo / AA AAA / 25: Monster power this year, monster Ks. But I will give him credit, he cut down Ks a bit in AAA. But 24 Home Runs across two levels, and they didn't start until May.

SP:
Norge Vera - please enjoy the tax money
Emilio Vargas / AA / 24:  is he a prospect? I unno. Does he deserve to be on here after K'ing 99 in 83 IP, with a 2.9 ERA and our pitching being bad? Yes
Kade McClure / AA AAA / 25: He was not very good in AAA, but again, we have no pitching. He k'd 77 in 63 ip in Bham, and he's tall. I think he can be a RP.
Burke was good, but it was ACL 

RP:
Theo Denlinger K'd 26 in 14 IP
Alec Hansen is intriguing to me again, he came on real strong at the end, and found control and was k'ing people left and right
Gil Luna struck out 14/9 and finally gave up an ER a few nights ago. 

Highlights: Infielders
Lowlights: Pitching, pitching, pitching

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just perusing the box scores looking for anything interesting and looked up Haylen Green. 2021 20th rd pick from TCU . Started in ACL promoted to Kanny . He's been in  9 games with 10 IP without giving up any runs , 14 K, 0 BB. .60 WHIP. While in the ACL he pitched 8 innings and gave up 0 runs .

He's 24 yrs old. 5'11" 185 and pitched for TCU. Here's a rundown of his Senior year.

2020 (Senior)
Led the team with eight appearances...  did not allow a run over 17 2/3 innings pitched... pitched multiple innings in six of eight appearances... tallied 19 strikeouts and issued just five walks... was 1-0 with a save... did not allow any of his 10 inherited runners to score... made season debut on Feb. 14 against Kentucky... earned the win in relief after tossing 1 2/3 scoreless innings... tossed 3 2/3 scoreless innings at Minnesota (Feb. 23) with three strikeouts... retired all five batters faced and fanned two in an appearance against Stephen F. Austin (Feb. 26)... struck out three and allowed two hits in 2 2/3 innings against California (Feb. 28)... retired the only two batters faced to pick up the save in Game 2 against Cal (Feb. 29)... pitched two scoreless innings against UT Arlington (March 3)... was brilliant at USC, tossing 5 1/3 scoreless innings with a season-high seven strikeouts... final appearance came against Vanderbilt (March 8).

So basically he hasn't given up a run in his last 35 2/3 IP . Could be longer depending on how he finished his Junior year at TCU. I have no idea about his stuff. Probably isn't overwhelming considering he lasted to the 20th round but he does appear at least by his stats to know how to pitch.

I posted this yesterday since you are looking for pitching. Probably not enough innings to get one of your awards but intriguing reliever.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I posted this yesterday since you are looking for pitching. Probably not enough innings to get one of your awards but intriguing reliever.

You did not add in his 2020-21 stats in college. He still had decent year, but he allowed runs. Here are his college stats for his 5 years

https://d1baseball.com/player/pPLLSblv/haylen-green/

• Like 1

At very least I was thrilled to see the Latin classes take some major steps forward on a lot of cases at the lower levels.  Guys like Jose Rodriguez, Bryan Ramos, Cespedes, Lenyn Sosa, Luis Meises, Yol Sanchez, Carlos Perez, Mena, and Vera has some solid seasons while moving up the ladder in most cases.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MnSoxFan said:

You did not add in his 2020-21 stats in college. He still had decent year, but he allowed runs. Here are his college stats for his 5 years

https://d1baseball.com/player/pPLLSblv/haylen-green/

Thanks I knew being 24 I must ve missed something so he had a 5th year in college.  Still no runs given up in 18 innings between the ACL and Kanny isn't bad.

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

At very least I was thrilled to see the Latin classes take some major steps forward on a lot of cases at the lower levels.  Guys like Jose Rodriguez, Bryan Ramos, Cespedes, Lenyn Sosa, Luis Meises, Yol Sanchez, Carlos Perez, Mena, and Vera has some solid seasons while moving up the ladder in most cases.

And, if some non Latin guy does well, you are not thrilled?  Or less thrilled?  Or, what?  Perhaps you could re-phrase.

8 minutes ago, oldsox said:

And, if some non Latin guy does well, you are not thrilled?  Or less thrilled?  Or, what?  Perhaps you could re-phrase.

Did that hurt your feelings or something?  These kids literally have their own signing system which differentiates them from every one else. By and large they were some of our most successful kids, especially at the lower levels.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, oldsox said:

It means that our Latin scouting and signing department is improving after being an absolute abyss of misery post-Wilder, sans the older and/or can't-miss Cuban signings. Since you want the Tatis trade to be engraved on Hahn's tombstone, you should be glad that the guy who found him is signing more players that are finding success in the minor leagues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quin said:

It means that our Latin scouting and signing department is improving after being an absolute abyss of misery post-Wilder, sans the older and/or can't-miss Cuban signings. Since you want the Tatis trade to be engraved on Hahn's tombstone, you should be glad that the guy who found him is signing more players that are finding success in the minor leagues.

Thanks, Quin, for re-phrasing and clarifying.  Got it. 

I'm glad J Rod, Adolfo, and to some extend Sosa are showing some success on the LatAM side. They're the first young J2 signings that have been able to progress past the Low A level since J2 system began. Having those names graduate to the MLB level would be a major win for the LatAM scouting and player development team.

Unfortunately on the US prep side success is just as hard to come by. The list of recent prep hitter - Zangari, Curbelo, Abbot, Delgado, Weaver, Bush, Beard, Gladney, Glass, and Krogman have all failed or are failing to develop. When I say they're bad, they have been really bad... sub .200 hitters with 40% + k rate and 1/8 BB/K rates, those are astonishingly bad number. Prospects are a crapshoot and even more so for high schoolers who aren't top 3 round talents. But you would think out of all those names, at least one would have a modicum of success at low minors or at least develop passable plate discipline, but no we have seen no evidence of it at all, whether it's a scouting issue or player development issue is another debate. For Sox to continue a produce a pipeline of prospects who could contribute at MLB level they need to start hitting on some of these players, or at least develop them into org players. They're player scouting/development in general still have a lot of catching up to do to be able to build a continuous pipeline for the team and catch up to some of the better farms in the league.