Rodon watch: Starting 9/29 vs Reds

Heads22

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sometimes it's better to go into the playoffs playing as mediocre as the Sox are playing. Look at Minnesota. They've had an amazing record some years yet ALWAYS get swept by the Yankees. If the Sox can split the first two with Houston, it could be a glorious autumn/early winter in Chicago. No law that says the bats can't heat up when the weather gets cold again. It's all about lift and pull with our lineup. They need to start blasting 3 HRs a game. Personally I'd prefer some regular base hits, move the runner situations, but this is 2021. Sox have capable long ball hitters. They just have to do it (cue Jose, Timmy, Grandal, Eloy, Robert, Sheets).

In 2005 this team was in the midst of blowing a huge lead and playing awful, before one hit by Crede in the final week of the season that got them going. Get hot in a couple weeks, that's all that matters.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rodon was the one guy who had the stuff to shut down the best offenses.  His start in NY was proof of that.

Yep.  This season, I felt most comfortable with Rodon on the mound against any team.  And not only to get a W, but to completely dominate.

Was really really hoping they could get him healthy enough to let loose in a few starts in the postseason.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

yeah, Sox would be crazy to start a top 20 starter in baseball this year because he doesn't dominate in every single start.

yeah that's a strawman, his problem is whenever guys get on base they steal easily on him because he has no awareness at all, and then his command goes to shit because he freaks out and then boom, big inning

look at his stats vs good teams, the only good team he's had success against is Toronto.  he also straight up sucks on the road (ERA over 5)

BOS: 11.05 ERA

NYY: 7.71

HOU: 9.00

asking him to dominate is unrealistic, but he isn't even good vs the top teams.  if we have to rely on Cease in the playoffs he will get clobbered, and that critique is based on facts and data, not your feelings

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

In 2005 this team was in the midst of blowing a huge lead and playing awful, before one hit by Crede in the final week of the season that got them going. Get hot in a couple weeks, that's all that matters.

Ah but who is our Crede this year?  Although I know it's tough to compete with one of the greatest clutch hitters we've ever seen.

1 minute ago, Sambuca said:

Yep.  This season, I felt most comfortable with Rodon on the mound against any team.  And not only to get a W, but to completely dominate.

Was really really hoping they could get him healthy enough to let loose in a few starts in the postseason.

Rodon hasn’t thrown over 5 innings in 2 months. Hard to dominate anyone doing that. Things weren’t suddenly changing at the snap of some fingers once October rolled around. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ehhh. I don’t know about that. Pretty obvious we weren’t getting the early season Rodon anyway. Giolito, Lynn and Cease still pretty darn good 1-2-3 punch. 

Yeah.  Too bad they don't have a RFer and a 2nd Baseman.  The bullpen hasn't been lights out either.  They probably aren't going anywhere in the playoffs even with Rodon.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon hasn’t thrown over 5 innings in 2 months. Hard to dominate anyone doing that. Things weren’t suddenly changing at the snap of some fingers once October rolled around. 

I was hoping for a dominant 4 innings from him in the postseason. You know me, I don’t care about length from starters as long as they’re effective.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, we all heard you.  

If you saw my last response to you, I am taking this into consideration.  For what, I have no idea, but that’s okay.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah this is true. But let's not forget the Sox were the best team in the AL all season in 2005. Even with that rough month and a half stretch they still won 99 games. If we are being honest, we are behind Tampa, Houston, and Toronto. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sambuca said:

Yeah, we all heard you.  

If you saw my last response to you, I am taking this into consideration.  For what, I have no idea, but that’s okay.

Ok we’ll keep dreaming about early season Rodon returning dude. It’s not happening and never was.  Sorry bud. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah this is true. But let's not forget the Sox were the best team in the AL all season in 2005. Even with that rough month and a half stretch they still won 99 games. If we are being honest, we are behind Tampa, Houston, and Toronto. 

How are we behind Toronto?  Because they’re having a hot couple weeks?  They have a worse record and we beat them head to head.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wegner said:

Ah but who is our Crede this year?  Although I know it's tough to compete with one of the greatest clutch hitters we've ever seen.

Luckily we have at least six position players on our current roster who are better than Crede.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

yeah that's a strawman, his problem is whenever guys get on base they steal easily on him because he has no awareness at all, and then his command goes to shit because he freaks out and then boom, big inning

look at his stats vs good teams, the only good team he's had success against is Toronto.  he also straight up sucks on the road (ERA over 5)

BOS: 11.05 ERA

NYY: 7.71

HOU: 9.00

asking him to dominate is unrealistic, but he isn't even good vs the top teams.  if we have to rely on Cease in the playoffs he will get clobbered, and that critique is based on facts and data, not your feelings

We can all see stats but they don't tell  the future . Playoff appearances here are so rare that I try not to expect anything. I'm not going to expect to dominate or be dominated. I don't expect certain pitchers or hitters  to be better than others. Once the playoff start it's a new but much shorter season where anyone can surprise you.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We can all see stats but they don't tell  the future . Playoff appearances here are so rare that I try not to expect anything. I'm not going to expect to dominate or be dominated. I don't expect certain pitchers or hitters  to be better than others. Once the playoff start it's a new but much shorter season where anyone can surprise you.

Who’s that Randy Arozarena guy!?

This team will go as far as the offense takes them.  Giolito is back to the from they needed.  I think Rodon is going through a dead arm thing.  him saying he is healthy does nothing he needs to prove it.

Cease your table is ready.

Maybe Dallas gets the magic back.

Oddly though I think Kimbrel will be fine also.

The offense is still the thing that worries me.

• Like 1