Rodon watch: Starting 9/29 vs Reds

Heads22

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Not that the author actually knows anything for sure, but this came up in the MLBTR chat yesterday. Someone asked what the author thought Rodon's next contract would look like and he responded that he thinks he receives and accepts the QO. Do you guys think he would accept it if offered?

With how the last month has gone I’m up to Maybe. It would sure remove a helluva lot of CBA and contract related uncertainty for his side, and would what, double his career earnings?

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Not that the author actually knows anything for sure, but this came up in the MLBTR chat yesterday. Someone asked what the author thought Rodon's next contract would look like and he responded that he thinks he receives and accepts the QO. Do you guys think he would accept it if offered?

Teams value draft picks more now than at any other time, so I would think having a QO attached to Rodon would hurt his market, which should make him more willing to sign.

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

With the continued question marks about his health/injury woes, I wonder if the Sox would offer the QO amount?

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It's a risk you'd have to take with how good he has been (and how horrible Keuchel and his contract are).

I guess it all depends where you think it is best to allocate funds....SP?  2B?  RF? BP?  Which positions have the best chance at an internal and thus most likely cheaper alternative?

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

I guess it all depends where you think it is best to allocate funds....SP?  2B?  RF? BP?  Which positions have the best chance at an internal and thus most likely cheaper alternative?

Adding in Rodon on the current QO rules would push the White Sox’s likely payroll to $170 million+.

I think even the optimists struggle to see them spending far beyond that. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Adding in Rodon on the current QO rules would push the White Sox’s likely payroll to $170 million+.

I think even the optimists struggle to see them spending far beyond that. 

That is why I question that they will offer the QO at this point...maybe try to bring him back on a lesser deal if other teams shy away from him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wegner said:

That is why I question that they will offer the QO at this point...maybe try to bring him back on a lesser deal if other teams shy away from him.

With the way he's pitched since he's come off the IL, I wouldn't even offer him the QO. What's to say his arm won't break down after 90 innings again next year? Are we ready to pay the guy $18 million for maybe 100 innings of work?

We need to focus on 2B and RF in free agency. SP is a spot we can afford to lose Rodon and still have it be a strength of the team.

Edited by chw42
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, chw42 said:

With the way he's pitched since he's come off the IL, I wouldn't even offer him the QO. What's to say his arm won't break down after 90 innings again next year? Are we ready to pay the guy $18 million for maybe 100 innings of work?

We need to focus on 2B and RF in free agency. SP is a spot we can afford to lose Rodon and still have it be a strength of the team.

I think this is the most pragmatic view.  I'd love to keep Rodon around but the health risk is just too great.  Not even sure how wise an incentive & option laden deal would be, let alone whether he would consider that or not.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wegner said:

Yep...I would guess he would take that QO right now!  I mean...of course he is dreaming of getting an offer that is $80 to $100 million...but an organization would have to be insane to offer him that!  So I could see him accepting a 1 year $18 million QO!  What is the time frame of QO to the date they have to accept/reject it?  That could play into the White Sox thinking...

Ok, I may be crazy and way off base here, but will the Sox be in a position of choosing between offering $ to Rodon or Lopez at this point?  What would Lopez get in arb this year?

Interestingly, I just checked spotrac and there is no agent listed for Reynaldo...does he not have one??

Edited by wegner
No agent discount?

16 minutes ago, wegner said:

Ok, I may be crazy and way off base here, but will the Sox be in a position of choosing between offering $ to Rodon or Lopez at this point?  What would Lopez get in arb this year?

Interestingly, I just checked spotrac and there is no agent listed for Reynaldo...does he not have one??

At this point, it's more of a:

• Offer Giolito and Cease extensions
  • Lynn is set
  • Make Keuchel earn his spot
  • Offer Rodon a QO or one year + mutual option(s)
  • Kopech / ReyLo compete with Keuchel for his spot.
  • Like 1

Even though he was a total ass to reporters who were asking about his health, I feel real bad for Rodon. He has cost himself a lot of dough. If he really believes in himself, signing for 1 year, and being healthy next season could make him a lot of money in the long run, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. He gave far more than anyone could have hoped this season. And the money he lost, no one thought he would have been able to find 6 months ago.

Edited by Dick Allen

On 9/20/2021 at 8:14 PM, maloney.adam said:

Rodon is saying those things so he can get the big contract in the offseason. If the Sox are smart enough, they will let him walk and another team will pay him big dollars to not pitch the whole season. 

Adam ,no one gives you a big contract based on what you say. It's only based on what you do. You can talk the talk but you have to walk the walk. If Rodon's arm finishes the season structurally sound enough that he can pass a physical, the innings pitched this year will enable him to pitch more next year. 

The Sox got way more out of him than anyone expected for peanuts. The Sox will evaluate him the same as other teams and weigh the risks and rewards. How that turns out is anyone's guess

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Adam ,no one gives you a big contract based on what you say. It's only based on what you do. You can talk the talk but you have to walk the walk. If Rodon's arm finishes the season structurally sound enough that he can pass a physical, the innings pitched this year will enable him to pitch more next year. 

The Sox got way more out of him than anyone expected for peanuts. The Sox will evaluate him the same as other teams and weigh the risks and rewards. How that turns out is anyone's guess

It would be really interesting to read the op report when they look at the medicals for his next contract.