Rodon watch: Starting 9/29 vs Reds

Heads22

On 9/22/2021 at 9:42 AM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Teams value draft picks more now than at any other time, so I would think having a QO attached to Rodon would hurt his market, which should make him more willing to sign.

Teams that sign a player that received a QO offer don't lose a draft pick. The team that offered a rejected QO receive an extra pick but it is not taken from another team.

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Teams that sign a player that received a QO offer don't lose a draft pick. The team that offered a rejected QO receive an extra pick but it is not taken from another team.

MLB should let MLB know that their website is wrong:

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

Any team that signs a player who has rejected a qualifying offer is subject to the loss of one or more Draft picks. While a team's highest first-round pick is exempt from forfeiture, any additional first-round picks are eligible. Three tiers of Draft pick forfeiture -- which are based on the financial status of the signing team -- are in place to serve as a penalty for signing a player who rejected a qualifying offer.

• Fire 2

18 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

MLB should let MLB know that their website is wrong:

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

I had that wrong. The change was  they don't lose their highest pick. It's far more convoluted now with different treatment for teams for where they stand in revenue sharing. There is also potential loss of international spending money. 

I think the question we have to ask with Rodon is his arm overused or structurally damaged?

consider 2 years ago he missed most of the season with tommy john. Last year he had to go on the IL for most of the season. 

He was non-tendered and then re-signed as a stop gap 5 starter. I think the organization hoped he could be adequate until we could trade for a starter prior to the deadline. No one foresaw him being a cy young candidate.

It should not be a surprise he is experiencing arm fatigue at this point. Unfortunately we can't really just shut him down at this point. Nor would he and Boras want that. 

If he doesn't do structural damage to his arm I have no problem with giving him a QO, or signing him to a reasonable short term contract. Considering he is still throwing well and can reach back and get 97+ it would suggest his arm is just fatigued and not damaged. If he can get thru the rest of the year without damaging his arm, I think we should try to bring him back.

I think the sox have a plan to keep getting him rest an limiting his outings.

My guess he will be a 3 in the playoffs, with Cease relieving him in the 4th (or earlier) if necessary. In the first round with days off you just need 3 starters. Round 2 Maybe lopez takes over and Cease starts gm 4.

Next year If you retain Rodon you can manage him better and treat Kopech similarly. Prolly go with a 6 man rotation with Lopez after April (with all the off days). Lopez can be a long man/spot starter all year.

Of course, I'm assuming we find a way to divest of Kuechel next year. A new CBA with a floor for teams would make a trade more likely.