GT 9/21: SOX @ DET, 12:10

CentralChamps21

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

that at bat was so typical of the last month. Have a perfect pitch on 3-1 to crush...arrogantly thinks its a ball...it wasn't....and Strike out with the bases loaded next pitch. good lord. 

Yep just a losing mentality has overtaken this team. 

2 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

So Leury. Ks after being up in the count

He was up 3-0. I know you want to get the go-ahead run up there, but when you're gonna get a fastball on 3-1, you gotta be prepared to swing. Leury wanted to walk after that AB went 2-0. 

• Like 2

Just now, chw42 said:

Exactly .500 in the 2nd half. 

8-10 in September. We're literally headed for our first losing month of the season, right before the most important games of the year in October. We have a big problem on our hands. 

Crazy that they haven’t lost any ground with how bad they have looked.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Exactly .500 in the 2nd half. 

8-10 in September. We're literally headed for our first losing month of the season, right before the most important games of the year in October. We have a big problem on our hands. 

They need to hit the ball out of the park. Tough fields the last two series, but only Grandal has homered.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

They need to hit the ball out of the park. Tough fields the last two series, but only Grandal has homered.

Remember that stretch right after the AS Break when suddenly they had a power surge? In 18 games in September, the White Sox have 13 home runs. That's good for 28th in baseball. Torotno has 44 over the same month.

But we can take some pride in the fact that one of the 2 teams worse is the Padres.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I think a lot depends on how they finish out.  If they get destroyed in playoffs, I think a lot of changes happen.

I have this odd feeling that the scenario that makes the Sox spends the most this off season is for a quick out in the playoffs.  I think they hoped Tony would cover up some of the holes this year with his baseball acumen or something, but if you had blurred out the manager all season long, you couldn't tell the difference between these two teams in 2020 and 2021.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have this odd feeling that the scenario that makes the Sox spends the most this off season is for a quick out in the playoffs.  I think they hoped Tony would cover up some of the holes this year with his baseball acumen or something, but if you had blurred out the manager all season long, you couldn't tell the difference between these two teams in 2020 and 2021.

Just wait until TLR deploys Carlos Rodon as a high leverage reliever in the playoffs!

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm still in "i have no idea what things will look like until there's a CBA" mode. The White Sox do have an owner with a history of signing a big contract out of spite towards the other owners. 

Yes, the same cold streak happened 2005. Then they got hot. BUT the injuries and slumps worry me. Of course we’ll back into the playoffs. Is this team ready to go on the road in a 5 game series with the 1st in Houston?? 

I’m worried. Rodon iffy, Kuechel sucks. Lynne good. Cease, you either get Nolan Ryan or Nolan Ryan’s shitty brother. Gio, who knows. 

can they get it together and win a series, a big maybe. Can they beat Houston, who they are a lock to play now and open in Houston, not sure. Yes IF HEALTHY we have murders row 1 through 6 in the batting order. 

the reason we will win the division is because of the 1st half the pitching staff had, especially the starters. I’m not a Debbie downer, but the way things are going they cannot beat Houston, and especially TB. 

Yes, they can get it together but it’ll be a nice and surprising miracle. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Just wait until TLR deploys Carlos Rodon as a high leverage reliever in the playoffs!

I mean, I'd actually be ok with that this year, if Rodon knows it is coming and has sufficient time to warm up. If they get like 2 innings with him total in the ALDS, you might as well save it until you've got the heart of the Astros order or a game on the line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Yes, the same cold streak happened 2005. Then they got hot. BUT the injuries and slumps worry me. Of course we’ll back into the playoffs. Is this team ready to go on the road in a 5 game series with the 1st in Houston?? 

I’m worried. Rodon iffy, Kuechel sucks. Lynne good. Cease, you either get Nolan Ryan or Nolan Ryan’s shitty brother. Gio, who knows. 

can they get it together and win a series, a big maybe. Can they beat Houston, who they are a lock to play now and open in Houston, not sure. Yes IF HEALTHY we have murders row 1 through 6 in the batting order. 

the reason we will win the division is because of the 1st half the pitching staff had, especially the starters. I’m not a Debbie downer, but the way things are going they cannot beat Houston, and especially TB. 

Yes, they can get it together but it’ll be a nice and surprising miracle. 

People keep pointing out that the team was cold in September in 05, but the fact of the matter is, they got hot right before the playoffs. After they clinched, they swept Cleveland in Cleveland to keep them away from a playoff spot. And that was with mostly Sunday lineups out there.

Also we weren't even that bad in September of 05, Cleveland was just on a huge hot streak. Even without sweeping the last series, the Sox went 16-12 in September. 

Edited by chw42
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

People keep pointing out that the team was cold in September in 05, but the fact of the matter is, they got hot right before the playoffs. After they clinched, they swept Cleveland in Cleveland to keep them away from a playoff spot. And that was with mostly Sunday lineups out there.

Also we weren't even that bad in September of 05, Cleveland was just on a huge hot streak. Even without sweeping the last series, the Sox went 16-12 in September. 

The Sox also had a healthy rotation in 2005, and finished with 99 wins.

Will Tony be able to even manage 90 wins this season? They are behind Ricky’s 2020 winning percentage.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox also had a health rotation in 2005, and finished with 99 wins.

Will Tony be able to even manage 90 wins this season? They are behind Ricky’s 2020 winning percentage.

There's no way we keep pace with the team last year over 162. We had no starting pitching depth and the bullpen was probably very fortunate. Over 162, I doubt the team last year wins 90 games. 

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox also had a health rotation in 2005, and finished with 99 wins.

They have 85 wins right now and 11 games to play. They darn well better get to 90. Not because of Cleveland or anything like that, but because they'd have to finish 4-7, with a 12-16 record in Sept/Oct in order to miss that number.