Do the White Sox have new minority ownership?

WBWSF

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I read where some unknown person has bought 30% of the White Sox for some "insane " amount of money. The SCORE talked about it earlier this morning. I wonder who it is and when will the details be announced.

I've heard no such thing. Where did you read this? Please provide a link.

7 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

They talked about it on the SCORE this morning. Mulligan thought the sale was legit.

What time was this segment 

lmao man how have we missed this for four months 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.awesemo.com/sideaction/30-percent-of-the-chicago-white-sox-have-allegedly-been-sold-to-mystery-buyer-for-a-boatload-of-money-bjs/amp/

it's actually 19:50 it starts...and they mention billionaire with "ties to star wars"...who the heck would that be...

EDIT. Welcome to your new owner: Mellody Hobson is the co-CEO and president of Ariel Investments, a Chicago-based firm with $12 billion in assets. She is married to George Lucas. She is the chair of Dreamworks. 

1078896436.jpg.jpg

Holy crap...this. is. happening. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

This has been rumored for several months now and *supposedly*  there is a tie-in to Lucas' wife via an interest in Ariel Investments. Additionally, JR's two sons have been reported to be seeking an independent piece of the Sox pie. The latter has some credence as JR has addressed the point. The separate Lucas/Ariel tie-in is a rumor that has yet to be verified.

SIAP
An article re:this subject:
https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/30-percent-of-the-chicago-white-sox-have-allegedly-been-sold-to-mystery-buyer-for-a-boatload-of-money-bjs/

Edited by FoxForce2

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I scanned through this thread so fast that I missed your posting of this link and posted it separately. Sorry about that.
Yeah, the rumor has been around for awhile.

Edited by FoxForce2

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Isn't it a bit sketchy that a 30% purchase of an MLB team is unreported in the media, don't the owners have to vote on these things 

I am going to guess that MLB is only involved in ownership changes, as we have heard a lot about changes in the Cubs ownership structure as Cubs issues were happening, and I never recall them talking about MLB votes for it.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

well, not that there was any real threat, but I would feel good that an ownership group with Hobson would not move the sox.

I doubt that the White Sox would ever move. Where would they move to? The franchise is making money, big time. They would never make as much money or more money by moving the team. I thought the Indians/Guardians were going to move out of Cleveland and they just resigned to stay in Cleveland for another 30 years.

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

I doubt that the White Sox would ever move. Where would they move to? The franchise is making money, big time. They would never make as much money or more money by moving the team. I thought the Indians/Guardians were going to move out of Cleveland and they just resigned to stay in Cleveland for another 30 years.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

well, not that there was any real threat, but I would feel good that an ownership group with Hobson would not move the sox.