It's all about the bullpen's in the playoffs

Soxsi75

Where as it is disappointing that the Rodon of April - mid July is only a memory, if he can give us what he gave us last night that might be OK. Yes, his velocity was down, but he was still getting plenty of swings and misses on his four seam, and he did get it to 95 or 96 a time or two to get some of those strikeouts. No, he didn't have his slider and he was wild. But even with that, Detroit didn't even remotely hit a ball hard off him. If not for Hernandez's piss poor defense, Detroit would have gotten no more than one run and possibly none, if that first ball that Hernandez didn't play becomes a double play. Then maybe he could have come back out there for another inning? Unless he really is hurt. Then all bets are off here. But it doesn't sound like he is. He's just hit a wall. But if he can go say 4 innings in a playoff game and then turn it over to the bullpen......that's the way it's done in the playoffs nowadays by everybody. Going 7 plus innings with your starters isn't done anymore.  That's where Kimbrel being so awful is actually more of a concern. If he continues to pitch this way, then we're cooked. Guess I'm still holding out hope he'll find it by then. That and get Hernandez the hell out of there. Play Garcia at second in the playoffs. Not ideal, but Hernandez is worthless. 

5 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Where as it is disappointing that the Rodon of April - mid July is only a memory, if he can give us what he gave us last night that might be OK. Yes, his velocity was down, but he was still getting plenty of swings and misses on his four seam, and he did get it to 95 or 96 a time or two to get some of those strikeouts. No, he didn't have his slider and he was wild. But even with that, Detroit didn't even remotely hit a ball hard off him. If not for Hernandez's piss poor defense, Detroit would have gotten no more than one run and possibly none, if that first ball that Hernandez didn't play becomes a double play. Then maybe he could have come back out there for another inning? Unless he really is hurt. Then all bets are off here. But it doesn't sound like he is. He's just hit a wall. But if he can go say 4 innings in a playoff game and then turn it over to the bullpen......that's the way it's done in the playoffs nowadays by everybody. Going 7 plus innings with your starters isn't done anymore.  That's where Kimbrel being so awful is actually more of a concern. If he continues to pitch this way, then we're cooked. Guess I'm still holding out hope he'll find it by then. That and get Hernandez the hell out of there. Play Garcia at second in the playoffs. Not ideal, but Hernandez is worthless. 

The defense behind Kimbrel has been terrible as well. That groundball by Castro in the 8th should’ve been fielded. Abreu would have had that or would’ve allowed Hernandez to make a play on it if he was out of position. 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The defense behind Kimbrel has been terrible as well. That groundball by Castro in the 8th should’ve been fielded. Abreu would have had that or would’ve allowed Hernandez to make a play on it if he was out of position. 

I agree. So maybe that falls into the category of being hopeful Kimbrel will pitch better in the playoffs. Because Abreu will be out there in a playoff game to make that play.

6 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I agree. So maybe that falls into the category of being hopeful Kimbrel will pitch better in the playoffs. Because Abreu will be out there in a playoff game to make that play.

Yeah I would put that in the category of being hopeful that Kimbrel will figure things out and the defense will be better in the playoffs. We should have our full lineup out there every game in the playoffs but we’ll see if they can turn on the switch or not. There’s still doubt that will happen.

17 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yeah I would put that in the category of being hopeful that Kimbrel will figure things out and the defense will be better in the playoffs. We should have our full lineup out there every game in the playoffs but we’ll see if they can turn on the switch or not. There’s still doubt that will happen.

Lineup wise, this is probably the best they can do. 

VS a right handed starter.         VS a left handed starter

1. Anderson SS                            1.  Anderson  SS

2 Moncada  3B                            2.  Robert  CF

3 Abreu  1B                                  3.  Abreu.  1B

4 Grandal C                                  4.   Grandal  C

5 Jimenez LF                                 5.  Jimenez.  LF

6 Robert   CF                                 6.  Moncada. 3B

7  Sheets. DH                                7.   Engel.    RF

8.  Engel  RF                                   8.   Vaughn  DH

9   Garcia 2B                                  9.   Garcia.    2B

If Jimenez get's hot, maybe switch the 4th and 5th spots with him and Grandal.  Or maybe switch Vaughn to 7th and Engel 8th against left handers. But one thing I've said all along, they've never been able to use this lineup due to injury and/or resting people. So I'm also holding out hope they'll be able to finally put their strongest possible lineup out there for the first time really all year in the playoffs. 

Edited by Soxsi75

Time will tell how much, if at all, Engel and Vaughn are able to play. Could see Leury at 2B or RF, rather have Leury Hernandez vs. Leury Goodwin in the lineup. Perhaps Sheets sees a start or two in RF.

Greinke has been god-awful since his return from COVID, so perhaps the Sox will catch a break there.

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Time will tell how much, if at all, Engel and Vaughn are able to play. Could see Leury at 2B or RF, rather have Leury Hernandez vs. Leury Goodwin in the lineup. Perhaps Sheets sees a start or two in RF.

Greinke has been god-awful since his return from COVID, so perhaps the Sox will catch a break there.

Yeah crazy that he'll probably be their fourth starter now, if they even let him start a game in the ALDS.  I assume they'll go McCullers/Framber Valdez/Luis Garcia.  I suppose Greinke could turn it around his next start or two and change that, but as of now he looks like a gas can.

6 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yeah crazy that he'll probably be their fourth starter now, if they even let him start a game in the ALDS.  I assume they'll go McCullers/Framber Valdez/Luis Garcia.  I suppose Greinke could turn it around his next start or two and change that, but as of now he looks like a gas can.

Well, Valdez and Garcia have far and away exceeded the most innings they've ever pitched in a season. So shouldn't they be hitting the wall too? We can't be the only team with this problem. That's something else to be optimistic about. 

1 minute ago, Soxsi75 said:

Well, Valdez and Garcia have far and away exceeded the most innings they've ever pitched in a season. So shouldn't they be hitting the wall too? We can't be the only team with this problem. That's something else to be optimistic about. 

Yes.  I'll take our rotation situation -- even without Rodon -- over theirs any day.

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I thought Engel was due to come back any day now? And how bad off is Vaughn? I thought his time off was mostly for "rest." Both physically and mentally. 

The Sox inability to hit a bullpen and shoddy defense is the issue.  Kimbrel has not pitched good at all but he has not had any help with the defense.  Sheets last night and Robert in the Boston game.  He is not giving up multiple runs which is what I think is important.

Again though, the White Sox are stymied by any bullpen arm. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

31 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I thought Engel was due to come back any day now? And how bad off is Vaughn? I thought his time off was mostly for "rest." Both physically and mentally. 

Well they have said Engel was healthy before, and he played sporadically when he was able to stay on the ML roster.

They also said Vaughn needed a couple days rest and then whammo, he hits the IL. I wouldn't count on either being able to start everyday in the playoffs, and Tony will likely go with his preferred veterans like Leury, Goodwin, Hernandez even if they were at full strength.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well they have said Engel was healthy before, and he played sporadically when he was able to stay on the ML roster.

They also said Vaughn needed a couple days rest and then whammo, he hits the IL. I wouldn't count on either being able to start everyday in the playoffs, and Tony will likely go with his preferred veterans like Leury, Goodwin, Hernandez even if they were at full strength.

"Tony will likely go with his preferred veterans like Leury, Goodwin, Hernandez even if they were at full strength."

Well, I certainly hope not. Because if he does, then we are weaker than we should be and aren't putting the best team available out there. Which, I must admit, has had me worried for awhile. That this every day of putting B team lineups out there, because at times I admit we've had to with the injuries, becomes the norm just because we've done it all year. Therefore, he will continue doing it once the playoffs start.

Edited by Soxsi75