The demise of the 2021 White Sox

DannyWright

While I still think the Sox have a solid chance at winning a post-season series, it is incredibly difficult to win the World Series, so assuming they do fall short of that goal, I will focus my ire on the mid-season moves. 

The biggest need to me going in was a 2B and a left-handed power-hitting corner outfielder that can actually field.  Hahn whiffed on all 3 deals and it doesn't appear any of the 3 bring anything positive to the clubhouse. 

My only other major gripe was the handling of Kopech.  It was clear long enough ago that Rodon was going to be a huge question mark for the playoffs and that Dallas was not going to make the roster.  When ReyLo started getting starts, they should have been going to Kopech in order to get him ready for playoff starts.  They'll be thinking twice about that decision for years should a lack of a 3rd viable playoff starter (I actually think Cease can do it, but would prefer he not be put in that position) be the glaring reason they get bounced in the playoffs two years in a row.

6 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

You are right about this. The last few days the Sox have lost three close games. Those are the games good teams are supposed to win. Those teams get the clutch hit and make the right pitch. The Sox haven't been doing it. They need to start doing it.

Bringing in Jace Fry is a silly move if the goal was to win this game. He has always been lousy and he always will be lousy. A sense of urgency doesn't

seem to be in TLR's agenda. Only 11 games left to get some momentum. The 2005 team didn't start to win until game 157 though. Hopefully there 

is still time.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will never understand people who call themselves "fans" but get way more out of the negative than the positive.  Its one thing to be upset in a bad moment and react, but to come back day after day after day, with nothing better to do with your time, and take a perverse joy in failure it just something I can't understand.  Find a new hobby or something.

Exactly! Yea they are playing like crap right now. But they are about to win the Division and make the playoffs where anything can happen. I mean would you rather they sucked all year and weren't in the playoffs?

My opinion is they have had this thing pretty much locked up for months now. They haven't had any kind of challenge to get revved up about. Now if they are going through the motions once the playoffs start then we can all start b****ing!

No doubt this team has been underperforming since the break, why, I don't know. They are a .500 team since the break and I just dont see them turning on a switch and becoming world beaters. At this point I can't see them beating the Astros in the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong as I've been a fan for almost 70 years and I like to see another World Championship in my lifetime.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

These games have sucked and been pretty boring. But all that really matters is they have put themselves in a position where it doesn’t matter, and what happens staring October 7th is all that counts. Crying about these games is like crying about spring training games. Sure, you would like to win, but it doesn’t really matter. Maybe it will be like 2005 and they go on a little hot streak to end the season and stay hot when it matters. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

Assuming the Sox limp into the playoffs ala 2000 white sox, where will the blame be put on this team?

A lot of people will point the finger at hahn/TLR in regards to handling the team the last 2 months with holding players back/fake IL stints.

What about the players themselves....Where has Eloy's production gone? The Kimbrel trade, Kopech falling off the face of the earth, et al.

What say you?

Excuse rankings

1. Injuries (even though we played better while people were out)

2. TLR managing

3. Playoffs are random 

4. Had to play game 5 in Houston and no team would have won under those circumstances. 

5. Kimbrel and Hernandez trades

• Like 3

Just now, Dick Allen said:

These games have sucked and been pretty boring. But all that really matters is they have put themselves in a position where it doesn’t matter, and what happens staring October 7th is all that counts. Crying about these games is like crying about spring training games. Sure, you would like to win, but it doesn’t really matter. Maybe it will be like 2005 and they go on a little hot streak to end the season and stay hot when it matters. 

It matters because we suck on the road and away HFA to a team that has a ton of post season experience and success. 

The division title should have been clinched before getting to Detroit. At the very least, it should have been clinched on leaving Detroit. Fans can get mad at Danny all they want, but the Sox have been bad for a while. Anything can happen in a short series, but it won't for Sox if they keep playing like this. They need to get on some kind of streak for the rest of the regular season. They are not just going to "turn it on" if this trend continues.

1 minute ago, NWINFan said:

The division title should have been clinched before getting to Detroit. At the very least, it should have been clinched on leaving Detroit. Fans can get mad at Danny all they want, but the Sox have been bad for a while. Anything can happen in a short series, but it won't for Sox if they keep playing like this. They need to get on some kind of streak for the rest of the regular season. They are not just going to "turn it on" if this trend continues.

So you think Cleveland is going to catch up to us?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

this team has sucked for 2 months, and this is a forum to discuss the day to day goings on with the Chicago White Sox. Do the math....

If you want to look at this team through rose colored lenses right now go ahead, the rest of the majority knows that chnces are not good that the sox advance at all in the playoffs and that this team peaked in the Iowa game.

Dont shoot the messenger.

Just answer this question. Since you've been here, I'd estimate 90% of your posts have been about how this team sucks, how they won't advance in the playoffs, and arguing with anyone who disagrees with you. 

So the question is....why are you here? Why are you taking time out of your day to post on a White Sox message board, a team you think isn't very good and isn't going to do anything in the postseason? Why are you spending time here? 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So you think Cleveland is going to catch up to us?

Nope, I don't know where you got that. Cleveland won't catch up to anyone. All I'm saying is that the Sox went into the second Detroit game with a chance to clinch a tie for the division title and they came up flat. The last eight games the Sox have played sub.500 teams and they went 3-5. They are playing uninspired baseball right now, and I'd like to see them turn it around before the post season. Think about it. They go in to play the Tigers on the verge on accomplishing something important. They didn't do it, at least not yet.

Edited by NWINFan

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Nope, I don't know where you got that. Cleveland won't catch up to anyone. All I'm saying is that the Sox went into the second Detroit game with a chance to clinch a tie for the division title and they came up flat. The last eight games the Sox have played sub.500 teams and they went 3-5. They are playing uninspired baseball right now, and I'd like to see them turn it around before the post season. Think about it. They go in to play the Tigers on the verge on accomplishing something important. They didn't do it.

They still have 1 more game in Detroit tomorrow, if KC beats Cleveland tonight we can clinch with a win on Wednesday in Motown.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

These games ultimately don't matter that much in the big picture (and LaRussa certainly seems to think so too judging from his managing patterns) but it doesn't mean this team is any less frustrating to watch blow games they should be capable of winning easily

I am hoping and expecting the Sox to really compete in the postseason and treat this like an intense sport. You know, "some" situational hitting to go with the lift and pull. OK I said 'some.'

I still have high hopes for Eloy, though I'l concede eight home runs in 171 at bats is not exactly good for a guy trying to hit a home run every at bat. I'd like us to go back to old fashioned baseball in the postseason as in expect 7 or 8 innings from your starter but it would be a miracle for that to happen.

So in other words Sox are gonna need contributions from a lot more people than in 05. The bullpen studs are going to have to be automatic and the guys who pitch innings 5 and 6 cannot be crap.

I predict Sox win the WS and everybody forgets the blah second half. There will be a parade and a lot of new heroes in Chicago.

*The 2006 Cardinals were 42-26 in mid-June. They went 41-53 the rest of the way to finish 83-79.

They won the World Series. 

*Our 2005 White Sox came within a hair of blowing a 15-game lead.

And won the World Series.

*The 2001 Mariners won 10 of 12 entering the postseason, finishing 116-46.

They went 4-6 in the playoffs.

*The 2008 Cubs went 98-64 and many thought were the best team in baseball.

They got blown out in 3 consecutive games by a mediocre 84-78 Dodgers team. 

—————————————-

There’s no rhyme or reason to what happens in the playoffs based off how the team finished the regular season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I am hoping and expecting the Sox to really compete in the postseason and treat this like an intense sport. You know, "some" situational hitting to go with the lift and pull. OK I said 'some.'

I still have high hopes for Eloy, though I'l concede eight home runs in 171 at bats is not exactly good for a guy trying to hit a home run every at bat. I'd like us to go back to old fashioned baseball in the postseason as in expect 7 or 8 innings from your starter but it would be a miracle for that to happen.

So in other words Sox are gonna need contributions from a lot more people than in 05. The bullpen studs are going to have to be automatic and the guys who pitch innings 5 and 6 cannot be crap.

I predict Sox win the WS and everybody forgets the blah second half. There will be a parade and a lot of new heroes in Chicago.

I also predict the White Sox to win the WS - as I have all season. Reinsdorf/La Russa riding off into the sunset in the final parade car will be a story for the ages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

I also predict the White Sox to win the WS - as I have all season. Reinsdorf/La Russa riding off into the sunset in the final parade car will be a story for the ages. 

Ride off into the sunset?  No, they're both coming back next year if we want this team to have any chance.

Dependable starting pitching and clutch relievers can set the stage for a championship run. So we need Gio, Lynn, Cease and possibly Rodon to give us 5-6 strong innings in every play-off game. Middle relief looks good with Tepera, Bummer, Kopech and Crochet. Hahn's plan in trading Madrigal and Heuer was to have a lock down 8th and 9th but Kimbrel and Liam have been touched up all too often. My current ire is aimed at Hahn for the Kimbrel trade. 

Frank Thomas excuses Kimbrel because he is pitching in the 8th. I think that is a bunch of baloney. In fact, if Kimbrel continues to struggle, maybe Kopech or Crochet should be used in the set-up role instead of Kimbrel.  The Sox can't allow Kimbrel to blow key games with walks , hit batters  wild pitches, and allowing every guy who gets on first to steal second.  I wonder how he has had success Closing when he can't hold a runner on first. He can't strike everybody out any more so any single, walk, or hit batter becomes a double.

What a flocked -up trade. Like I said, maybe demote Kimbrel to middle relief and see how that works for him. The stakes are too high to let one guy blow it for us and I have a bad feeling that is what he will do.

Edited by tray