How about we get off the ledge.

Soxsi75

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

47-23 in the second half, 24-8 in September and October for those Mets. How is it that every time someone gives an example of an inexperienced team winning a couple series they finished with a strong September? This hasn’t been wrong once at this page yet. 

because criteria keeps being added when examples are given. It started out with finishing poorly and the converse. then it only applies with inexperienced or experienced teams. Then Northern teams with blue uniforms in Northern climes. But to play along, The aforementioned 84 tigers were inexperienced played 500 baseball after starting amazing won in the playoffs.

If we go 10-1 the rest of the way does that portend we will be great in the playoffs? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

because criteria keeps being added when examples are given. It started out with finishing poorly and the converse. then it only applies with inexperienced or experienced teams. Then Northern teams with blue uniforms in Northern climes. But to play along, The aforementioned 84 tigers were inexperienced played 500 baseball after starting amazing won in the playoffs.

If we go 10-1 the rest of the way does that portend we will be great in the playoffs? 

I would sure feel a helluva lot better going into the series with the Astros if they did. 

2 hours ago, kleedawg said:

the 69 mets weren't experienced. You can find exceptions for any of these narratives. The playoffs are a different animal. No one knows how the sox will play. Humans are weird. You can't fake urgency. The sox are coasting. They can tell themselves to knuckle down but it doesn't work that way. Think to when we have played great in the 2nd half... Won a great series against Astros after being embarrassed against them earlier, crosstown series, Boston series. Automatic adrenaline rush for those games. Royals, and tigers...not so much. 

I expect we will play well in postseason. Will it be enough? The differences between winning & losing in the playoffs is razor thin. 

But they were hot to finish the year. If you have a ton of playoff experience you get more leeway. Houston was under .500 last year and made the ALCS. Teams that have proven themselves in post season can get a away with coasting. Our team finished 2-8 last year and lost in the wild card round. Playing well in September isn't just about having a good record. We need guys to be hitting, playing sound defense, and for our bullpen to figure it out. When you have young guys that with no ALDS experience, going into post season with confidence helps. 

• Like 1

As would most everyone. Don''t get me wrong we have warts, but so does are opponents. Hell I bet similar discussions are occurring on other boards. I look at it this way in the AL:

Starting Pitching: Whitesox, Astros 2nd

Relief Pitching: Rays, Sox second

Offense Astros, maybe blue Jays

we can win this thing or be 3 games an out. 

7 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

As would most everyone. Don''t get me wrong we have warts, but so does are opponents. Hell I bet similar discussions are occurring on other boards. I look at it this way in the AL:

Starting Pitching: Whitesox, Astros 2nd

Relief Pitching: Rays, Sox second

Offense Astros, maybe blue Jays

we can win this thing or be 3 games an out. 

I think we are tied with Toronto for starting pitching until Rodon proves to be healthy. But yes from a talent stand point we are right there with anyone, it is a matter of guys like Eloy, Rodon, Kimbrel, Vaughn, etc being able to play and play well. TLR also needs to manage his ass off, especially the bullpen. 

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And there was no team hotter than the 1983 White Sox that bombed out in the first round.

Hence the reason why the regular season is not a good predictor of what happens in the postseason. Playing a best of 5 is totally different than playing a best of 162. Also why baseball is much more random for champions than most other sports. 

They can just to justify it in any way but its who gets hot in the playoffs for whatever reason. Having as healthy of a team as possible and let it fly. 

15 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Cardinals

2002-NLCS

2004- World Series

2005-NLCS

The point still remains that teams that have had post season success get more leeway. 

So? Yes, experience helps, but doesn't guarantee squat or predict anything. Teams with great starting pitching get more leeway. Teams with great bullpens get more leeway. Teams with great defense, hitting, team speed, etc get more leeway.

These are tired narratives anyway. If the dodgers, astros, rays, cards people will site experience. If the sox or jays win the narrative will be they are too young inexperienced to feel the pressure or some such nonsense. 

There is very little separating most playoff teams from each other. Who plays the best and gets some breaks will win out. There is no best team anymore. 1 team will be fortunate to win 3 consecutive series against the best teams in baseball. If they played the playoff round again immediately following the world series you probably have a new champion. 

3 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

So? Yes, experience helps, but doesn't guarantee squat or predict anything. Teams with great starting pitching get more leeway. Teams with great bullpens get more leeway. Teams with great defense, hitting, team speed, etc get more leeway.

These are tired narratives anyway. If the dodgers, astros, rays, cards people will site experience. If the sox or jays win the narrative will be they are too young inexperienced to feel the pressure or some such nonsense. 

There is very little separating most playoff teams from each other. Who plays the best and gets some breaks will win out. There is no best team anymore. 1 team will be fortunate to win 3 consecutive series against the best teams in baseball. If they played the playoff round again immediately following the world series you probably have a new champion. 

The only problem is that the Sox aren't playing like a playoff team now. It would help if they started to do that.

On 9/22/2021 at 6:41 AM, 2Deep said:

I just see a team going through the motions. That concerns me.....

This is all set up by our manager who continues to throw games with his lineups, especially the last game of every series....not to mention pitching guys in close games that have no business.

I don't know........when all said and done maybe he will be the genius with getting his guys rest but I just don't see any urgency in this team.

I truly thought they would begin to play better as they get closer to clinching the division but thats not happening as of now. That concerns me.

But, what the hell do I know.....

I do know that my frustration level with this team and TLR will not allow me to watch this team with full enjoyment. I find myself mad and frustrated when I watch them play. I have never been that way with a winning team before.

Most of us agree with you.  In the end...I hope Tony is right and we are all nuts.  After all...he is in the HOF.

15 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Cardinals

2002-NLCS

2004- World Series

2005-NLCS

The point still remains that teams that have had post season success get more leeway. 

And as far as sox experience goes, Despite 2020 being poo pooed as phony, those were real playoff games and experience for most are young line-up...was that not valuable...because someone claimed that it wasn't? Still, Grandal, Hamilton, Keuchel, Lynn, Kimbrel, Hendriks, & Tepera all have playoff experience, or does that no longer count when they put on a whitesox jersey?