What will it take to wake this team up?

brijames1957

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I would assume most teams have had their ideal lineup play together more than 4 times this season. 

I would assume so as well.

Point being, completely dismissing games when a single starter is out doesn't sit well with me. If you're content with excusing every 1 or 2 run offensive output because <insert starter here> was out, that's obviously your prerogative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

I would assume so as well.

Point being, completely dismissing games when a single starter is out doesn't sit well with me. If you're content with excusing every 1 or 2 run offensive output because <insert starter here> was out, that's obviously your prerogative.

I guess this is my point - what will the lineup be for those three games against houston?

who will the starting pitchers be? who will the relievers be? Will they be on full rest?

Why is everyone focusing on a statement like "the white sox are 31-31 since the break"? Do we really care about Dallas Keuchel starts where Seby Zavala + Brian Goodwin + Leury Garcia were all in the lineup? How is that even comparable?

Here's an example of a recent box score against a contender:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA202108210.shtml

Robert, Anderson, Grandal all missing from the lineup and Keuchel/Wright/Ruiz pitching.

Do you think this accurately represents what we will do vs. Tampa in the postseason? I certainly don't...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I guess this is my point - what will the lineup be for those three games against houston?

who will the starting pitchers be? who will the relievers be? Will they be on full rest?

Why is everyone focusing on a statement like "the white sox are 31-31 since the break"? Do we really care about Dallas Keuchel starts where Seby Zavala + Brian Goodwin + Leury Garcia were all in the lineup? How is that even comparable?

Robert, Anderson, Grandal all missing from the lineup and Keuchel/Wright/Ruiz pitching.

Do you think this accurately represents what we will do vs. Tampa in the postseason? I certainly don't...

Well first of all I will bet folding money that Goodwin starts against any RHP, and Cesar isn’t exactly an upgrade on Leury right now.

But more than that, how easy is it for these guys to step into roles they haven’t played this year. In a lineup they haven’t been in? Can you even tell me who will be hitting second? And even without that - how many of them are mired in a plumps right now? Eloy hasn’t homered in almost a month. Abreu has one home run this month. So how about we just win a few extra games down the stretch and break some of these slumps? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well first of all I will bet folding money that Goodwin starts against any RHP, and Cesar isn’t exactly an upgrade on Leury right now.

But more than that, how easy is it for these guys to step into roles they haven’t played this year. In a lineup they haven’t been in? Can you even tell me who will be hitting second? And even without that - how many of them are mired in a plumps right now? Eloy hasn’t homered in almost a month. Abreu has one home run this month. So how about we just win a few extra games down the stretch and break some of these slumps?  

I dunno, it seems as though the lineup will be

Anderson / Robert / Abreu / Grandal / Moncada / Jimenez as the top six, with Robert and Moncada interchangeable depending on the hand of the starter. Do you disagree? Tony has experimented a lot but that feels like the right lineup and what he would go with.

Abreu is still sporting a .377 OBP in September despite the lack of homers. Yes, I would like to see more pop, but I don't really have a problem with what Abreu is doing right now.

What would you do differently to get Eloy out of his slump? He's playing almost every day. I certainly wouldn't sit him.

19 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I dunno, it seems as though the lineup will be

Anderson / Robert / Abreu / Grandal / Moncada / Jimenez as the top six, with Robert and Moncada interchangeable depending on the hand of the starter. Do you disagree? Tony has experimented a lot but that feels like the right lineup and what he would go with.

Abreu is still sporting a .377 OBP in September despite the lack of homers. Yes, I would like to see more pop, but I don't really have a problem with what Abreu is doing right now.

What would you do differently to get Eloy out of his slump? He's playing almost every day. I certainly wouldn't sit him.

I mean, if Eloy weren't bad right now I'd have wanted him hitting ahead of Moncada to break up the switch hitters and to put a power bat behind Grandal, but yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with these guys right now.

44 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I definitely get what you're saying, and I don't even really disagree. 

But take the box score from Monday's loss: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET202109200.shtml

The only real glaring omission from the lineup is Abreu and they mustered 3 runs on 5 hits, which is a worse offensive output than the box score you linked.

It's been a long season and we're all eager to see the same thing: the "A" lineup in meaningful games (and fortunately we will soon!). But I'd just like to see a little more consistency and life in lineups that are missing even one of those key guys. It doesn't feel like that big of an ask.

Edited by Snopek
Didn't hyperlink correctly cuz I'm a doofus

Game One vs Cleveland was the recipe. Lift and pull 3-4 homers a game. Hopefully the guys will buy into baseball 2021 and hit a ton of homers in postseason. It also would be nice for our Game One starter to throw his best game of the year. Sox need to win Game One or forget about it in a five-game series vs Houston. I think they'll do fine. 

You'd think guys like Jose, Grandal, Moncada, Tim, who have been around a while would want to get a ring while they have a good chance. I'd say this season is a disappointment without at least a WS appearance. If they have to lose the Series and then win it next year, fine. But to not get there would be sad.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:09 PM, poppysox said:

The plan is for everyone to get healthy and start to rock and roll any day now.  We will ultimately go as far as the pitching can take us IMO.  I think Tony has been right to emphasize being healthy over some meaningless wins.  However, I do agree with those who are sick of watching .500 baseball.  Not long now boys.

Only need to be 3 games above .500 in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1