Today is Clinch Day… Date Yourself

KnightsOnMintSt

Ah man.

I was at the blackout game with my dad.  It was the best baseball game I've ever attended.  It's also something that every fathers day and every time it's my dad's birthday, I rewatch the game as baseball was something we shared since I was like 8.  I was also at the Alexi grand slam game the day before (used my Jewish privileges of it being the high holidays to get me out of classes that day).  I was 19 years old and a sophomore in college.

I am now 32 and living in NYC.  Actor, playwright and an educator.

Let's fucking do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1983, 2005, 2020 and this season were the four playoff seasons I fully emerged myself into nearly every game during the season.

I boycotted the first dozen seasons after they closed Comiskey, and was busy with life in general beyond following sports in the 1990s in my 20s, and was also disgusted with the 1994 shutdown.

2008 was a very busy year for me work wise, so I didn’t get a chance to follow as closely but more so than 1993 or 2000.

Weird not going to the park this year, but waiting for La Russa to go before considering purchasing tickets again.

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In 2008 I was at the black out game, having gotten tickets from my boss at a dead end job, that I didn't know was a dead end job, until they put me out on the street six months later.  After that I ended up switching fields within my industry, and am now eight years into a small niche group  that I head up a mission critical operation for.

On the bright side -> dead end job got you free tickets and you are now doing something you love! 

2008, living the life near the beach on the Eastern Seaboard of Thailand, teaching at a Thai university.  Separated. Finished second Master’s degree. Two black Labs.

Nightmares of the Carlos Gomez/Bobby Jenks blown save game and Alexei Ramirez down the stretch, as well as Carlos Quentin losing the MVP and blowing Sox playoff chances in frustration.

13 years later, almost 52, w/ six year old son starting just first grade here in Wuhan, married for second time. Still teaching, for around twenty years now.  Survived at the epicenter of Covid-19 but haven’t been able to return to the States for 2+ summers now due to lengthy quarantines.  Also miss having the dogs.  Still wondering whether the FIRE movement will lead to self-actualization, haha.  Would be happy just to take another international flight, or have access to mRNA vaccines.

Edited by caulfield12

I was at the last three games of 2008 including the blackout game and the two playoff games.  Was with my 7 year old at the Sunday playoff game.  He is now 20 and a die hard. 

The last 10 years of White Sox baseball have been a slog.  Last year was an awakening and now we are all Woke.  While this site can bring you down this is a team to like and the arrow is going in the right direction.  None of us are happy with the last few weeks/ months but I know I will flip the switch when there is an asterisk next to the Sox name in the standings. 

I recall an ABC 7 special in 1983 on the Sox, I have it on Betamax somewhere.  I need to go find that. 

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

2008, living the life near the beach on the Eastern Seaboard of Thailand, teaching at a Thai university.  Separated. Finished second Master’s degree. Two black Labs.

Nightmares of the Carlos Gomez/Bobby Jenks blown save game and Alexei Ramirez down the stretch, as well as Carlos Quentin losing the MVP and blowing Sox playoff chances in frustration.

13 years later, almost 52, w/ six year old son starting just first grade here in Wuhan, married for second time. Still teaching, for around twenty years now.  Survived at the epicenter of Covid-19 but haven’t been able to return to the States for 2+ summers now due to lengthy quarantines.  Also miss having the dogs.  Still wondering whether the FIRE movement will lead to self-actualization, haha.  Would be happy just to take another international flight, or have access to mRNA vaccines.

I pursued FIRE as well, and retired after my 50th birthday in 2019. Still want to pursue volunteer opportunities and travel, but the Rona disrupted initial plans.

Landed in Chicago on 3/10/20 after spending time in February and March enjoying California, Arizona and Las Vegas. Then things changed a bit.

The best laid plans of mice and men.

I was 24 and finishing up grad school at U of I. I was only going to grad school because of Mrs. Drake. She was a junior when I started grad school and I didn't want to move to Chicago without her because I was afraid some brotha's and bro's would try to park in my garage and our relationship would be done. I met her in 2005 and convinced her to become a Sox fan instead of the Cubs and that WS really helped. As the Sox clinched in 2008, we had a blast going to games and enjoyed the intensity of that division race. We went to the Grand Slam game and watched 163 at a bar getting drunk and making out. I would propose to her the following year after some random perfect game concluded. Being a Sox fan at the time of my life was fun and weird. I thought every team had a shot to win every year if they just played well enough. Now I go into seasons knowing what to expect from each team and analyzing the game like crazy. I want to go back to the days of not caring about a Six player's OPS and just knowing that I love the dude because he's on my team lol. 

I was on my honeymoon in Italy during the blackout game.  Now I have 3 great kids and we are about to celebrate our 13th anniversary.  Also on the plus side, still have my hair, and I'm only a little bit fatter.  At least that's what I tell myself.

Edited by turnin' two